Indicator my ass!!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2002, 08:41 PM

Indicator my ass!!!!!

Sure and begora, I'eve been around enough see to that evoloution is a fact of life but if what we are seeing now being bantied about as "Fly Fishing" is the evoloution of our sport then I need to go to the great beyond!
What you might ask has the old boy so riled up? Tis a simple thing really some of the unwashed have obviously made another run at the "Grail", to wit the guided sports operating with a so called reputable guide service are (casting ) 6" long styrofoam floats and slinkys (thats nothing more than lead split shot in a tube) at the fair waters of the Olympic Peninnsula!
And what you might ask are these chaps casting the giant styrofoam floats ,pardon me, indicators on? Well Spey Rods of course for after all these chaps are "Fly Fishers Of The New Ilk" and they are paying good money to spend a few minutes in the Pursuit of the "Grail", so why should they be denined. After all only slow minded folks would spend countless hours in pursuit of something so easy to catch(Right).
Well personally I can climb way up on my highest horse and tell one and all that this act of Catching is not Fly Fishing and if you or anyone on this board takes offense at my diatribe then you should consider taking up another hobby.
As I have stated before and will unfotunatley be forced to say again. If what you are doing in the pursuit of Steelheads with a Fly Rod is lacking in Traditon, Ethics, or Restraint then it A'int fly fishing .
Well I have dismounted my steed of the lofty hieghts and feel better for having stated what I feel is the obvious, gear fishing with a fly rod is just that "Gear Fishing"
so don't expect to be codeled or made less than the butt of jokes if you indulge in fishing with floats with the idea that you are what you ain't.
Peace in the valley
Captin Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2002, 09:50 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I agree

Sstay on your high horrse, I agre totaly. There comes a point in where do you draw the line. Spinner flies, basicaly hardware for flyrodders. I understand using either corkies or such for strike indicators, but come now, dink floats??? I'm a gear fisherman, aas wel aas a fly fisherman. But I seperate the two. Whaat's the point of using a fly rod if you're not trying t use it. Especiially spey rods, I'm desperately trying to get the hang of mine down so I can effectively swing flies on stretches of the Hoh and Duc I never was able to before. I've caught TONS of fish via float and bait/jigs. My spey rod has yet to get it's "cherry" popped, but I'm not so desperate thta I'd use driftgear oon it.

Just my .02
Old 02-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
This picture was taken prior to me threading the indicator onto a leader which was attached to a 8/9 Mastery Spey which was being thrown with a 8126-3.

We have been down this road many times...oh well, it sure does make for good discussion and some classic cliches. :hehe:
Old 02-19-2002, 10:39 PM

Fishing is fishing, and I don't try to "judge" anyone for the way they like to fish but it's always puzzled me how people pretend to flyfish by using drift gear on fly rods. The only reason I could think of is to try to increase hookups, but then conventional gear is so much better for that kind of fishing so the net effect is less hookups than being good at either method. I have a lot of respect for good gear anglers, they really know their stuff. I have even more respect for good fly anglers, because it's a heck of a lot harder and that's also the way I like to fish. The in-between doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense
Old 02-19-2002, 10:55 PM

Butthead!!!

Well Ryan You are the one who uses a 'Bug Rod" so why shouldn't you be the one who now becomes now kown as "Butthead '" after all it appears too be a generational thing and you undoubtdly qualify for the MTV generation wink wink wink!
Old 02-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Mod

Wink A Flyfishing PUNK?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight
...after all it appears too be a generational thing and you undoubtdly qualify for the MTV generation wink wink wink!
I guess so...but I resent that comment in regards to me being part of the MTV Generation. MTV is evil...

Hell, Ive got a Dead Kennedys poster right alongside a Sage poster in my room... :hehe:

Me with waders:

Me without...

You old farts are too much fun...
Old 02-19-2002, 11:53 PM
President of CAC

Ryan.... I love your clothing... looks great.. I have rain gear also.. but I rightfully refer to them as Barbour "foul" weather garments.. will have to speak to my valet about that. The hair... since I have none ,I think the spike look is great.. looks like a head full of feeding sand eels or a school all borrowing down into the sand at the same time.... so when we see you this summer on Cape Cod, and if Penguin sees you, be careful... If you see two strange guys with tying scissors and portable tying vices on the beach... do not approach! especially if you hear.. " hey... you over there....come here ... we have neat pictures of big stripers... wanna see?"
Old 02-20-2002, 12:13 AM

to this there will be no end...

Egad the Sartorialy perfect Striblue has weighed in. I love those proper English fishing garments Hell the Queen wears them and she can afford anything! I lowly me the son of Irish immigrants and Salish Natives have found myself walking too much these last few years and have fallen in with the likes of Ryan and now wear (dare I say ) breathable , not only waders but alas rain jackets too. Oh well the road to hell is along one and begins but one step!
Cheers.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Holdout

In Canada they call it fishing with float rods and center pin reels.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:40 AM
any fish, any time

you can lead a horse to water ... but you can't make him swing.

And Ryan, I too appreciate the spikes (and especially the likeness to sand eels - really too funny) as an old skool fart who myself witnessed the likes of Black Flag and Minor Threat back in the day... oh boy, this takes me back 20 years! Amazing thing, the number of ex-punks who enjoy flyfishing. And current punks, or at least current people who listen to old punk music. It must be the individualist tendencies coming to the fore.

So I did a brain search for reasons to argue that there is no "real" punk anymore, particularly for idolization of a spirit long $old out. Yet by analogy I stumble up against my own use of indicators and so also the frightening conclusion that there is no real "fly fishing" anymore either - and this comes as one weaned on glass and the dry line before I entered my teen moshing years.

so really, the times they are a changing. One thing we can perhaps agree on - put 'em back, share the water, and be a gent - and of these I have no doubt that Ryan is ahead of the pack by several lengths
Old 02-20-2002, 12:45 AM
LBFF Mojo

Dead Kennedy's?

come on now...

You should be listening to the misfits...leave the later 80s crap alone.

However in the flyfishing community I guess fishing with an indicator is pretty punk.

-sean
Old 02-20-2002, 12:53 AM

The hours late (for me anyway)

You "Punks" can have it, glass was the downfall, before that the limit was how many builders could hire enough people to split plane and glue what was needed to fill the orders. There was always room on the beat and ,Jimmy was going to grade school in Ballard, not High School in Garfield "Are you Expierenced." Ain't it fun! Sum day I'll learn how to use those nifty smiley faces until then you'll just have to get too know me.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Mod

Damn loco_alto, we'll have to spend a day on the river one of these days and discuss the differances between the old skool punk and more modern punk.

Punk has seperated into so many sub-genres, its amazing. You've got your pop-punk (Green Day, MxPx, old school Blink-182) and melodic hardcore (Bad Religion, NoFX, any band on Epitaph or Fat Wreck) plus you've got your crust punk (old school) and this has all branched out into ska, emo, post-hardcore, sXe hardcore.

You go through my cd collection and you will see pretty much every sub-genre as over the years I've gone through periods where that particular genre was my favorite. I listen to more Indie Rock now then anything, which has roots in many of the genres.

Plus I listen to alot of Clash, Cure, Ramones, Elvis Cotello, Bob Dylan etc.

You do make a great point about how like punk, there is no real flyfishing anymore...I loved that!!

Anyways...I'm rambling.

One of these days, I am going to show up at a WSC meeting in my tripple studded belt, my black chucks and all indie-rock and scare the crap out of all the elders.

On a side not, a couple years ago, I did dye my hair lagoon blue...learned very quickly that tackle shop employment and blue hair dont go together very well. My mother also said I wasnt allowed to go up to Fortson untill I shaved my head or bleached it...she was worried about the locals thinking I was some sort of freak and in turn getting their hands on me.

Sean-Never was a big fan of the Misfits...was never punk enough.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 AM
Mod

Re: The hours late (for me anyway)

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight
You "Punks" can have it, glass was the downfall...
I figured you had may have been hitting the glass alittle tonight after your posts made little sense....actually I dont think it was the glass but the whole bottle!

Quote:
Originally posted by rich_simms
In Canada they call it fishing with float rods and center pin reels.
Atleast I dont go up to the greatest steelhead rivers in the world and fish eggsucking leaches!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:12 AM
any fish, any time

yeah, dug the Misfits, but Glen Danzig's zombie Elvis persona just kept going from silly to sillier. Way too faux serious. The howling feedback at the end of every song was however much appreciated. Very much. then blip. next song.

just checked my copy of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - issued in 1980. The one and only DK release I ever bought. Cool poster at least, on the "cusp" of the 70's.

My record collection is comparatively punk narrow these days, as it thinned out considerably around the time that Bad Moon Rising and the Gimme Indie rock 7" came out.

Last edited by loco_alto; 02-20-2002 at 01:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.