ROGUE RIVER REPORT .... finally something to talk about. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 04:05 PM

ROGUE RIVER REPORT .... finally something to talk about.

Latest numbers for the upper-upper Rogue are as follows:

Inflow to Lost Creek dam: 3000+ cfs, out flow at 710 cfs (so top mile or so is still very low water) at 40.3 degrees. Trail, Elk, Big and little Butte creek are still dumping a bit of water from Friday nights downpour but river is running clear, and dropping, all the way to Grants Pass and below.

Fish count as of last week was a little over 500 fish through the counter at Gold Ray dam (just north of Medford) as of 2-22-02 the number had jumped to 2901!!!!! fish. "They're herrrrrrreee!!!"

Off to take a 'late lunch.'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 06:26 AM

For all of you Washingtonians having "withdrawl" problems, there is a "Plan B.".

Rogue is open year round, and usually has a some part of a run of fish going monthly. About the only really 'dead' time (assuming you don't want to just fish for trout) is July- August.

River is running low and clear with over 6,000 winter fish above Medford. Very small flys on long leaders is the best recommendtion. Seattle is a tad too far for just a weekend trip (8hrs by car one way) but toss in a couple extra days, share the drive ........

You can 'keep' three clipped fish per day, or two clipped and one native (max. native fish is 5 per year).

And 'down here' we don't cut trees to block access roads. (Sidebar: that info on the Sauk post just makes me shake my head. Lived in Washington for many years and I remember this kind of stupidity going on back in the 60's and 70's)

Last edited by fredaevans; 03-13-2002 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:39 PM

Rogue River update ... again.

Well the "official count" of fish as of 3-11-2002 is 6,728 fish through the counter. Given this number is a week old, pretty safe to assume that it's over 7,000 fish in the top 30 miles at this point.

Still low clear water (dam guys say they've increased the flow to 1035 cfs, but as of yesterday afternoon I'd have to say "I'll take your word for it."

But lots and lots of fish to go play with ...... even if I did get 'skunked' Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Recent Member

Fred,

I am going to a wedding in Grants Pass at the end of April. What type of fishing would I found on the Rogue near there at that time? Thanks for any info.
Tight Lines
Tom
Old 03-21-2002, 03:27 PM

End of April fishing on the upper Rogue.

Tom,
There will still be a hell of a lot of steelhead in the upper river at the end of April, but the vast bulk will be well above Grants Pass (which is 30 miles 'downstream' from Medford). However, by then there should be a fairly substantial number of Spring Kings up in that area.

Sooooo, either drive to the top of the river (would be about a 45-50 mile drive) or check back with me on the location of the Kings.
Fred
Old 03-22-2002, 03:02 PM

Updated report on the Rogue.

As of 3-17-2002 the official count above Medford was just short of 7,700 winter fish. The Spring Kings are starting to move up the lower river so they've kicked up the dam out-flow to 1617 cfs. And it looks like it! Bring your sink-tips!!!

With the water flow going from 700 to 1600 cfs in a little over a week this will pull the fish up to the top end of the river fast, as well as spread the little buggers out.

For the Spey Clinic guys who will be fishing before-after head up towards the top end of the river; bulk of fish will probably be in the top 10 miles.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:51 PM

ROGUE REPORT - Update

Outflow from dam is 1855 cfs at 43.9 degrees (couldn't be better!) Official fish count as of 3-21-02 over Gold Ray dam (just north of Medford) is 9,094 in upper river. Game Guys say real count as of today is closer to 9,500 fish.

So if you Clinic Guys don't get into some fish, it's not because you didn't have the 'opportunity.':eyecrazy:
Old 03-27-2002, 01:34 PM

HOw Many !!

Please no more fish counts it looks like a hatchery fish farm to me, they all the hatchery steelies and anglers up below the hatchery run as I have read for the grand harvest.

We have about four scenarios like that, which I avoid at all costs.
They would kill me if I went in there with my fly set up if you know what I mean.

Have a great time this weekend !!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:53 PM

Ah, Hal, what can I say???

More 'people' live within 10 miles of you than live in all of southern Oregon. (Total state population is about 3.5 million; most of which live in the Portland-Salem I-5 strip)

Most of the fish are natives, good chunk of hatchery fish, but truth be told, my 'clipped' vs. non-cliped fish is natives 5 to 1. You have more folks within 50 feet of your office than I'll see on the river the whole weekend.

Ya, there's a price to pay .... a given "job" in your area will pay 3-4 times as much. But the payback is ...... there's nobody on the river, which is 15-30 minutes away. All "life" has a price tag; just a question of what you're willing to give up. Perhaps this is why we have so many retired Californians living in our area.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:58 AM

Fred,

Yes I know the situation. Lived in South Bend Indiana for 7 years which is about a 150,000 people. Had the Michigan and Indiana rivers and lakes virtually to my self most of the time due to the under population.

Economically though a risky place to be should the economy turn down or you lose your job. Looking at an immediate location for the most part. Wife wanted to go back home to Chicago and it was time for me to move on. Chicago as you know has a huge economic base and major corps, etc. So now I have to drive 1 hour for some steelhead fishing, 2 hours for good fishing, 3-4 hours for great fishing.

Such are the trade offs in life.

Hal
Old 03-29-2002, 01:48 PM

Hal, your right. If there's nothing else I've learned

in a sniff short of 60 years is you can put a price tag on almost anything. Life is just a series of choices, most of which you get right ..... if you understand the 'price tag' thing.

But I'll rub it in anyway: as of 3-28 official (a real count) there are now just short of 11,500 winter steelhead in the river above Medford. Water flow out of lost creek dam at 1917 (they up the flow at this time of year to pull up the 10's of thousands of Spring Kings that come up to our end of the world - last two years over 33,000 fish/yr) at a river temp of 44.6 degrees.

Predicted weather for the weekend is mid-70's, sunny and warm.

War is hell!
Old 04-05-2002, 12:24 PM

Latest on the Rogue.

As of midnight 4-8-2002 out flow from Lost Creek dam is 2608 cfs (and God does it look like it! Places we were standing on dry rocks are now under 2 feet of water).

3-28-2002 steelhead count is 13,740; No spring Salmon through the counter yet but understand "substantial numbers" of them are already as high as Rainie Falls (about 30 miles down stream from Grants Pass). This high water (still gin clear) will pull the salmon up fast, but until they cut the flow to something closer to 2000 cfs, nothing short of a rocket assisted fish will get past the falls.

Fred
Old 04-05-2002, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
Ok Fred you are killing me with those report's ......Call me with you stick a Sammy .....Fish-Head
Old 04-08-2002, 06:44 PM

Latest numbers for the Rogue

Well, the river was running at over 2700 cfs this weekend which required me to go to 'feather bricks' and even a lead core sinking head to get to the bottom in most places. Did hook a couple of small fish, no size to either.

Water flow as of Monday was cut to 2507 cfs, which will help fishing alot. A couple of hund. feet per second make a lot of difference as the Rogue is not a wide river. Steelhead count as of 3-30-2002 was 14,871; no salmon reported in the count yet but they should be showing up shortly (e.g. getting past Rainie Falls below Grants Pass) with the reduced flows.

fe
Old 04-08-2002, 08:27 PM

Well, the river was running at over 2700 cfs this weekend which required me to go to 'feather bricks' and even a lead core sinking head to get to the bottom in most places[QUOTE]

Fred,

What are "feather bricks" it is a term I am not familiar, with is that something like a slinkie, and lead core isn't that an environmental risk. Are you sure those fish counts are accurate, sounds like a lot of fish to me.

I will have to send you some of my new cone head sparrow nymphs, they sink like a veritable stone.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.