Max'ed out the server... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 10:30 AM
admin

Exclamation Max'ed out the server...

Believe it or not we exceeded 10 gigabytes of traffic and got shut down early this morning. I was up at 5am, and found the site down. We are currently operating on a grace period extension (I called and begged), while I work out an upgrade path with the provider.

Needless to say we can use the support of sponsors you might recruit (shops, guides, manufacturers, etc) and any donations you can chip in to cover additional costs. The basic traffic upgrade plan is an extra $60/month as a short term solution; for a long term solution the cheapest dedicated server plan I can find is close to $180-200/month.

We are discussing the way forward and will have to decide quickly - unfortunately I waited too long and now have been pushed against the wall.

Thanks in advance, more details to follow shortly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2002, 12:44 PM
admin

Thanks to all who are responding, I'll upgrade to the next tier of bandwidth at this point and we'll figure out which plan we'll migrate to for months to come.

In addition we'll be offering some great deals on trips, gifts and equipment to provide fun and interesting ways to contribute thru the year.

I will have this figured out shortly...
Old 02-25-2002, 12:57 PM

Yes I could not get in this morning early 6 AM CST.

Must be all of those spey anglers watching the Kush casting video.

I have a high speed AT+T link and took me a long time download it.

Don't even try it if you are on AOL.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

But if it means we can't have things like this casting video, then we must upgrade the server. It's not just one thing - we've been running this site on an inadequate hosting plan and we have been on the edge of the cliff for a while now, video or no video, but I've avoided acting on it due to the many forces of family and work pressures lately not to mention a significant number of Forum related tasks as well if you count the activities on the plate since fall.

The reality is that the traffic and server storage (which has little or nothing to do with video) has grown to the point where it needs a real hosting package underneath it.

Let's pull together and solve the problem.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Wanna be striper bum

All,

I am wholeheartedly in favor of paying a yearly donation to the site if that is what it will take to allow the site to move to a dedicated server.

In short, I have been a member of this community for a couple of years now. In that time I have learned so much from so many of the unselfish members of the Forum that I cannot even truly fathom everyone's contributions to my abilities as an angler. Beyond this, I find myself spending so much time reading the featured articles and the posts on the site that a yearly donation of $100 would work out to pennies per hour spent browsing the content that the site has to offer. That is a deal. Even on top of this I am impressed with the efforts extended by the folks who are behind the scenes and running the site. It is the least I can do to make sure that they do not need to fork over their own hard earned cash to pay for a server upgrade.

I think that we can add a bunch of informative and interesting content to the site (casting and tying instructional pages and videos etc.) but it is clear that none of this can happen before we take care of the server issues.

My check is in the mail and my words are unsolicited.

Take care,

Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 06:08 PM
President of CAC

I will square with Juro and agree with the above post.. I pay alot more to play golf and don't get a fraction of what I get here and joining the people fishing during the year... not to mention all the other stuff.... so... if that is what's needed I will certainly participate.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Just say the word.......

~Mark
Old 02-25-2002, 08:25 PM

maxed out

I hate to give out credit card info, but I'd donate toward the cause via snail mail if I Knew It!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Thumbs up

For what this site does for me in many ways, I have no problem helping out with some money. I've spent more money on shrinks at a single sitting . I don't care how many letters they have after their name. They can't give me what I get at the FFF. Best and cheapest therapy there is.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:42 PM

Funding support

Voluntary, non-solicited contribution in the mail.
After all, where else can I brag about 2 Hockey Gold Medals?
(just had to slip that in somehow!)
Old 02-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The above statements pretty much sum up my feelings!!!

Juro, you've got mail!!
Old 02-26-2002, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
lets solve this now

i'll cover one month of dedicated hosting.

lets see 11 more!!!

come on now. thats only 2 less starbucks a month

do i see january, now february, march, and april, come may we're fishing, june the flats, july the rip, august the heat, september the keepers, october the migration, november getting cold, december and fly doodads under the tree.

seems doable to me.

we can do this.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jeff -

Thanks for the coverage for the month and the great suggestion, the cover-a-month club is a great idea. Your willingness to always step up to bat is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to also suggest that people send flies to the person covering the month (Host of the Month?) as a gesture of appreciation, just one fly but from a lot of people that's something. We could send them to the post office box for the Forum and the host of the month will get the flies in a box at the end of the month.

Hosting cost split with EMEDIA...

We might be able to hold off on the beaucoup bucks of dedicated server cost for a while by splitting a high-end server package with Enthusiast Media. Sean looked things over and thinks the high-end server is the right way to go for now. I like the fact that we won't have to pay for the maserati until we really need it. I am currently talking it over with our EMEDIA partner, this should work out for the short term for both parties. This is just a short term solution, but it buys us 50% more bandwidth until the next threshold is reached.

The upside is we don't need to pay for future capacity needs now. The downside is we need to migrate servers twice. At this point, I believe the two-step process is the way to go because we need to put down the casting clave deposit, take care of owed fly-lines to writers and contest winners, and many people have requested more hats which require a deposit, etc.

So we'll lease the step-van for a while until we really need a 16-wheeler, even though the site migration will occur twice by this approach.

Let's all raise a toast to our March Host of the Month - Jeff Borkowski! You da' MAN!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:07 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

What is the cost of a month?

Also, Juro, we can always revisit the hat discussion when you need more. The guy that I deal with needs a minimum order of 288.

~Mark
Old 02-27-2002, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
My bump is in paypal. I'm glad to help support this endeavor for another year. The generosity, humor and knowledge of you guys are what all the other sites only aspire to.
All I can say is, if you've gained from the camradery, free flow of insight, strategy and/or floor space owe it to yourself to drop a buck in the offering plate.
You can't tear up this check, pal.

Last edited by Chris; 02-27-2002 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.