wading jackets - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2002, 09:39 PM

Question wading jackets

I'm looking for a good wading jacket for the west coast of BC and was wondering what brands/models everyone wears in trying to deal with the heavy rainfall?I've heard alot of mixed reviews on gore-tex and that it does not hold up well under constant rain.I definately want a breathable jacket though so what options are there?I originally was going to buy the Simms Guide jacket but it's a little too pricey for me right now.Are there any other gore-tex jackets that people have had good experiences with?What about the wading jackets made by Filson?I guess I could always get a decent breathable jacket for use under light to moderate rain days and then switch to a Helly Hanson type of PVC rain coat when it really pours,but if there is a breathable that would do it all I would opt for that.Any recommendations?What do most people here wear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2002, 10:23 PM

I know the price is high, but I have the Simms jacket and it is worth every pennie. I had the Columbia before the Simms and it was OK, but it did not withhold the rain after the first season of use. My vote is Simms.

However, if price is a definate issue, i hear that LL Bean and Cabelos (spell??) have some good products.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:29 PM
President of CAC

I just picked up the new Patagonia SST... but if you look at Cabelas ,which has already been mentioned, they have some good Gortex less than the SST or Simms Guide.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:19 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
If you are a XXXL, I'll make you a good deal on a Simms DryCoat!

If not and you do not want to spend the bank for the Guide Jacket (which I love, very well worth the coin), look at the Simms RainCloud and the Simms Freestone.

The RainCloud runs $250 and a is a stripped down version of the Guide Jacket. It has veclro cuffs and a couple large pockets. It is made of 3 layer Gore-Tex and is as waterproof as the Guide Jacket. The local Simms rep (George Cook) swears by the Raincloud and says it is all he wears and he likes the packability of the RainCloud.

I only wish they would put the neoprene cuffs on the RainCloud which are on the Guide Jacket and even the less expensive Freestone.

The Freestone runs $189 and is a two-layer Gore-Tex with a couple large pockets like the RainCloud. I have yet to play around with this jacket but could give you a report in a couple weeks.

Filson makes a great product, some of the best around but the waterproofness (is that a word ) of the waxed cotton is not as high as synthetics...it is a cool looking jacket though.

I dont have any experience with the Patagonia but I do know that Juro has one and loves it!

If you have any more questions just let me know...
Old 02-25-2002, 01:23 AM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
Cheaper Then Dirt

If you want to go really cheap to find out if you want to use Gortex. Go to Cheaper Then Dirt, and order one of the Army style gortex coats. They are cheaper and camo?! Don't really know the quality, but I think Uncle Sam gets pretty good ones.... Same with the foreign ones. go here! http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/d...L83MK8R5490B66

look at the German Gortex coat for $39.00 what can it hurt at that price!
Utah Chapter 681
Old 02-25-2002, 01:42 AM

Steeliesonafly,very cool link!Not sure if they have what I'm looking for,but some neat stuff anyways.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:19 AM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
German Gortex coat

They are surplus coats. That come with a dry bag to boot. For a quick fix on a waterproof coat that you aren't out a lot of money. They are really good!
Utah Chapter 681
Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Mr. Mom

Who cares if the pockets drag?

If you can get a great rainproof coat for dirt cheap, who cares if you have all the gee-gaws like D-rings, hand warmers pockets, and neoprene cuffs? longer than waist high? Who cares, it's a fishing coat, let the bottom third hang in the water and leave it in the garage! That being said I have an SST, and a Lewis creek waxed cotton I've owned longer than I can remember... Both are great, but you'll stew in the waxed cotton if it's warm or you have to hike.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:25 PM

I love my Barbour but......

You just can't beat the breatheable factor I walk around the rivers of the NW and usually log on a full day from 5 to 8 miles of walking so breathability is a major factor in what I look for. There does not seem to be a big difference in the different brands other than style,marketing, and cost, they all pretty much do the breathing thing pretty well . After a season of 200 plus days of fishing many in the rain I find that they all start to lose a bit of there rain repellent qualitys, enter the local dry cleaner. For under $20.00 you can have your wading rain jacket cleaned and retreated with the correct treatment to make it as good as new for another season.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up

I agree with Moonlight's post, the breatheable factor is the biggest reason to buy one. And after 30+ years of walking the river banks and wearing anything from a Barbour to a Columbia to a Simms the only two i have hanging in the closet are the Patagonia SST and the Simms Guide Jacket, They work and are comftable to wear
tight lines,brian
Old 02-28-2002, 10:58 PM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

I've been usingthe Simms for three years now and don't have any complaints. I bought it through a pro price deal or else would have looked for a cheaper model. LL BEAN has waterproof breathables from $99 to $275. Never have to worry about not liking a product from them since returns are never questioned and they pay return shipping if requested.

Anyhow, my Simms stopped beading up water last fall so I bought some NikWax spray on breathable reviving stuff. Works like new once again (did have to wach it in mild detergent and warm water first), but it seems back to original breathability and waterproofness.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Although many have had good results washing their Gore-Tex jackets in the wash with detergent, I would advise against it (unless your jacket is heavily soiled and then use a very light detergent).

After about a year and a half, my Guide Jacket seemed to stop beading water so I bought a bottle of the Revivex. I threw the jacet in the washing machine on warm water without detergent, once the cylce was done, I hung the jacket it up and immediately covered it in the Revivex, then threw it in the dryer. It is almost as good as new...

I say almost because if anyone has been bushwhacking with me, knows that I just stick my arms up and start walking, no matter how thick and how sharp the sticker bushes are.

I know I must have many small, microscrip tears in the jacket from this practice but it still keeps me almost dry to the bone in the heaviest of downpours.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:54 AM

Here's just one more option: Check out the Patagonia Deep Wading jacket. It's about $110 less than the SST, a bit shorter, considerably more packable, lighter and more comfortable. Feels like you hardly have anything on, which is great for rain gear. I also have an SST, but since I got this one I've been wearing it almost all the time. Waterproof, breathable and packs easily into the back of your vest. I think it's the most comfortable I've ever been in rain and wind. I was concerned about the light weight and it's durability, but so far, so good. Plus, Patagonia (unlike Simms) has an unbelievable level of customer service and an "ironclad" return policy. Anyway, that's my .02. Hope it helps.

Skookum
Old 03-01-2002, 02:49 AM

Sound like there are a few good options out there.All I know is that sometimes when it rains in Vancouver,it pours for days at a time.So,whatever I get,it has to keep me dry under the worst of conditions.I'm not really worrying about cost,although the cheaper the better.I just want the best jacket for these conditions,even if it means I have to spend more to get it.I've missed out on some great deals on the Simms Guide jackets in the past and they were at the top of my considerations.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:28 AM

Thumbs up

Filson is my choice.I have fished Alaska in August a few times ,and my Filson has kept me dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.