I can only dream....... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2002, 12:41 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I can only dream.......

Since I can't be where I want to be thii weekend, let me tell you how it wouuld've been..

I always set my camp at Oxbow park on the Hoh river. I always try to get a river front sport. I'd had my tent al set up and cataraft rigged up oon the trailer ready to be launched at daybreak. Once I have camp setup, I rab the rods, and my girlfriend aan I take a quick drive up to Minnie on the Hoh and do some quick fishiing (getting there around 10am doesn't give us enough tim to get a drift from Morgan's down to Ooxbow). We have fun, maybe catch a fish or two, and enjoy the solitude. Drive back to camp, where we start the perculator, and make up some fresh coffee while I prepare dinner. My girlfriend gets the campfire going as the sun starts to set. Dinner iisready, and we sit down as the glow of the sunset fils the valley by Oxbow. The sounds of the river fills our ears as we eat our dinner. Stay up for a little while, watchiin the sparks rise from the rfire as the darknes engulfs us from the completed sunset. All that can be hearrd is the rushing water and the crackling of the campfire. We extinguish the fire and clean uup our dishs, then head to bed.

It's stil dark when I get up and start breakfast. No campfire, want to get th food ready so I can make the long float for the day. The chil gives me shivers as I crawled ouut of the sleeping bag, and stil get chills as the bacon is popping in the pan. My girlfriend comes out of th tent, shee's still sleepy and looking for the fresh coffee, the smell of the perculator wafts thouugh camp. She gets her cup of joe and settles iin to making the lunch we'll pack oon the boat for the day while I finish breakfst. We sit savoring our coffee and grub while that slight stain of morning travels up the valey. That slight shimmer of light letting us know daybreak is coming. We hurry up and finish breakfast and get everythiing loaded on the boat. I don't need first water, so don't rush to have boat iin while still dark. I've heard boats being dropped iin for an hournow, sun stil not even up. Fisherman fising th lower water, hoping to hit the Native keep water below 101. I only fiis the upper water. We put ouu waders oon, get into my bllzer, and make the drive up to Morgan's crosingg. Dew can be seen everywhere. The chill can be seen in the air as clouuds of aiir exhauust from our mouths. Iit's a brish morning, the sun is just over the Olympics, and the boat is in the water. Ii won't go into every detaiil, way too many to list. During the day we are engulfed by large oldgrowth forest and many hanging ferns. We see eagles, small critters, and the possiibility of a Roosevelt elk herd. The oonly piece of civilization we'll see on this drift, is where the North Hoh ROad meets the riverbank. We'll be in solitude al day. Nothing buut the sounds of th water running and the animals living their lives. As with aay fishing day, you hit your last stretch of water, and kknow the pulout is coming. That feeling of relief and sadness come over you. Glad to be off th boat, and have a hot meal and hot drink. Sad to know a day of fishing is over. I get the scooter started up, give the girlfriend a kiss goodbuy as she starts the coffee. By the time I pickup my bllzer and get back, she has coffee ready and dinner almost done. A friendly routine happen again, and tomorrow theday recycles itself. Iisn't it the life we love to live?????

Ok, since I can only dream, this will have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2002, 12:44 PM

We have to go steelhead fishing some time.

I thought I had bad withdrawals

Watch the US and Canada gold medal game today like me.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 02-24-2002 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 02:48 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Hey PM

Hal, I was supposed to be doing this thread for real this weekend. But good ole mother nature decided to put all the rivers into near/or actual flood stages this weekend. Hence shutting my trtp down.

Don't kno when I'll ever be back to your neck of the woodsk,but if you make it up to Seattle, we'l break out the rods and my cat and hit the rivers.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Wink The Steelheading Life

Hey ST69,

You're a Sadist for posting this when all the rivers are blown out . . . . . . . but it sure does bring back memories of camping on one of my favorite OP rivers.

Ol' Ma Nature sure has an evil sense of humor, doesn't she??

hasta,

DS
Old 02-25-2002, 03:34 PM
LBFF Mojo

Still blown...

ST69 hopefully you can get out this weekend to cure your blues. I just got back from the river and your post makes me want to hop back in the car and get back out there.

As an aside, I hit the Sky early with fellow flytalk member Leland and it is still high. Water color was good but the water still needs to come down quite a ways it seems. Was nice to be on the water though.

Tomorrow or the next should be good before the season is over on the snoqualmie system. You could see the water dropping in the couple hours we were there.

I think I may sneek out for some early morning action on Wednesday before work to give it another go.

-sean
Old 02-25-2002, 07:57 PM

Steelheader 69,

Don't feel bad it was record temps here in the 60s on sunday, it is going to 20 degrees and snow for the rest of the week here.

But this will slow down the steelhead which were already spawning out here.

March is normally the prime spawning month into mid april after that the run is essentially over except for a few zipperlip rivers.

Will be out to Seattle got to do the Skagit/Sauk suppose you have ran those rivers, and would be indian guide, etc...

Hal
Old 02-25-2002, 08:13 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Only fished it a couple times

The Sauk that is. I normally fish the rivers to the SouthEast of the Sauk. Looks llike I'll be getting another chance at hitting the Hoh the last weekend it's open. That would be the weekend of April 12th. Will be leaving probably that Thursday and be gone until Sunday.

Let me know whe you are coming to the Seattle area. May have to steal you away and take you on the Nooch I so frequently talk about. Have rod/boat will travel.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Looks like I will be fishing Wendsday (working Thursday, the last day the Snoho and Stilly systems are open).

Probally kick in the drifter...might have an extra seat.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:36 AM

Wow no steelhead fishing on a number of good river WA rivers after March 1st. Don't know if I could handle that.

How crowded then are the rivers which are open.

I went to the WA fish and game page and saw all of the closings.

Must be tough on you guys out there.

Midwest - March and April are steelhead game time !!

Old 02-26-2002, 09:56 AM

dreams

Steelheader,

You poor soul. Unable to fish because the rivers are blown out. I feel for you. Then again, dreamings about all I get to do down here where I live in California. But, I know your pain. I'm usually in the OP twice a year. I've never camped at oxbow, but have many fond memories of staying at Minnies.
Have heard the river has changed quite a bit this year, with some of the high flows from time to time. I'll be up toward the end of Oct. for a week or so and relive the dream.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:50 PM

PMFF. There is always a place to fish. But sometimes you just have to drive aways. Everything that they closed down is in my neck of the woods. But,I have car will travel. The Sauk is only a hour away and the Skagit about 1/2 hour longer. I'd go fish the OP but it's just to far by my lonesome. Jim S.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:55 PM

OP rivers sure do look great.

Have the Hoh Steelhead River Journal looks like a wilderness river for the most part. Upper Hoh particularly. Some day soon will be there. Have always been intrigued by the OP.

Back to work Hal, its in the teens in snowing in Chicago. Two days ago it was in the sixties.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:26 PM

I keep wanting to go over there in the summer,but just can't seem to find the time.

I have a son that lives in Chicago. And he told me that he wants to start fly fushing. Or that he already started. He has an easy job. He works for FAA.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:55 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Hey PM

ALL the good rivers are still open Mmarch 1st (SolDuc, Hoh, Wynoochee, Satsop )

I hopefully will definitely have my yearly trip to cose the season out on the Hoh first of April. Will hit it the week of April 8-12th. Will be hiitting the Satsop/Wynoochee this weekend for sure. Will hopefully be gone friday morning. We'll see.

Got an itch to hit the Hhoh bad. Haven't fished it since Oct and it's killing me. I'm ready and raring to go!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:48 PM

Steelheader 69

Yes I know what you mean about having the urge. Thats how I am about a few rivers out here.

Spring run looks a month ahead of time now, but we just started a big cold front 10-20 degrees this will slow the run down which is good.

Summer runs have probably all completed spawning in Michigan, next is the Michign winter runs which will come up in March/April.
Actually can fish well into May if you know where to go. Zipperlips etc.

Hoh looks like a cool place. OP is on the to do list for sure.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.