Amazing River Levels... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2002, 01:02 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Amazing River Levels...

This is a first for me...seeing the NF Stilly at a higher guage than the Sky.

Check it out...thats alot of water coming down that small river bed. Can not wait to see how Fortson and the Deer Creek Riffle look after today's and yesterday's high water!!!

First look at the Sky:

&

And look at the Stilly!!

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2002, 11:49 AM

Hoping for the best, since that river system has been so hammered in the past. I saw on the news last night that the gas stations at the interchange with I-5 had about 6-inches of water in the parking lot. Got to be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 02:46 AM
Coednakedspey

Man, those are some crazy flows. To think about something,
30,000 Cubic Feet per second divided by 35.31 (don't ask me how I know this number, just a number I was told to convert cubic feet to cubic metres) = 850 Cubic Metres per Second.

That is like the Thompson River, a major tributary of the Fraser, coming down a river that is normally the size of the mean flow of the Gold. Crazy stuff to think about I guess.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I prefer fishing the upper reaches of the river, this is just right... the fish will blow right past the plunkers and dodge the netters and lay in the upper stretch in high water until it miraculously drops into perfect shape and color for my arrival!

One can only hope, anyway
Old 02-24-2002, 08:37 AM

Wow thats a lot of fast moving water.

In 20 years of upper mid west only remember one time all the rivers were blown for a week or so due to heavy rain. I had only one trip ruined due to high water. If they do get blown only for a couple of days usually.

Another reason a PNW steelhead trip in winter is risky never know if the rivers will be fishable the week or few days you are there. Due to rain or glacial run off etc..

Not the case in the midwest, can always depend on them being fishable 95% or more of the time.

The season is almost upon us, couple of guys hit the rivers last week during the warm days, hit 15-20 steelies and landed 6. I have had a few days like that where you feel like you are in "Steelhead Heaven".

Later
Old 02-24-2002, 12:16 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Yup, lots of water

Yyeah, I KNOW ALL TOO WELL aboout having plans ruined. Hhad a float trip for thiss wekend oon the Hoh/Duc. Not happening here. My backkup plans were the Nooch/Satsop. BEEEEEP!!! WRONG ANSWER. They both hit flooding stages too. So, I sit at home, having a nice cup of coffee, tying up flies.

Mman, I'm depressed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.