Arghhhhh! WHY ME!?!?!?!?!?! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2002, 01:38 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Arghhhhh! WHY ME!?!?!?!?!?!

Why does this always happen to me?? I rarely get a free weekend without my kids. My ex never comes into town more then 24 hours and leaves me virtually no time to get away. I love fishing the Hoh, but it's not a river for young kids (at least the section I float). I take my kids fishing of course, but Ii'm more a guide, hard to fish effectively. So I look forward to the kids free weekends where I get to hardcoore fish.

Well, I finally got a kids free weekend. Was raring to hit the Hhoh thiis weekend. Guess what???? Sshe's blown out, as in flood blown out. She max's at 21400, she's running at 23000. SHEESH!!! All the other rivers are punching too. I guess Ii'll take Doublespeys advice and tie up some fliis and sit around the fire.

Just my luck. GRRRRRRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2002, 01:50 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Look to the south young man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Unhappy Bummer!!

Hey ST69,

When I talked to you last nite I was thinking of Nick Lyons and his old column on the misadventures of a trout flyfisherman. He was always falling in, leaving his flies in the car, waders at home, etc.

Steelhead flyfishing would be a ~natural~ for something like this - rivers blowing out your weekend (or entire vacations - ask Leland or Sinktip about the Bulkley, or anybody that's fished the Kispiox) are definitely a part of our sport!:eyecrazy: Low-holed by gear guys, corked by pluggers, assaulted by flotillas of Splash & Gigglers? Ol' Nick should have tried steelheading.

Anyway, C&D's probably right - there might be some options Down Under!

Good Luck!

DS
Old 02-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Mr. Mom

I hear your pain brother

I'm a stay at home dad with an infant and a toddler, so when I do get out, it's generally got to be close to the house (sky is 20 minutes and so is the Snoqualmie). this is the first weekend since an accident in early december I can actually cast, it's the last weekend the sky is legally fishable before largemouth bass fishing turns on, and it's been raining for more than 24 hours... I think I'm going to freeze my arse off in a float-tube on Lake Alice tomorrow... you know as physical therapy for the arm... Anyone for a "numb-bum clave"?
Old 02-22-2002, 04:26 PM

Smile

I'm new here and I seem to have the same problem. I can't get out. Have to watch kids. Wife works and I'm retired. Next open date is Sunday and I think I will go. I just started out trying for Steelhead with the fly,but I fly fish only in the summer. It's kinda new trying to cast bigger flies,but I seen to be getting the hang of it. Thank's for letting me babble. Jim S.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree summer, or should I say fall, is the 'money' time to FF for steelhead for sure. For what it lacks in numbers, the winter (spring) fishery more than makes up for in sheer amazement when you connect... each time I hook up with a big nate or I'm with someone who does the strength and beauty of the beast blows my mind. We are really lucky to be able to pursue these magnificent fish in the beautiful surroundings where they occur.

I know where you guys are coming from - there was a time when my kids were small that I couldn't get to the water... but I'm glad I had that time with them because you can never get those days back once they are gone. Plus the days I spent with them at the water was the best of both worlds!

hang in there
Old 02-22-2002, 11:44 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Hey Old Man!!! Hope you didn't pop over here from Bob's Board to try to escape me...

I am everywhere!!!

Old 02-23-2002, 03:21 PM

Spanky or is it Sparky. No I didn't. Just wanted to try some thing new. As to the problem of watching kids. I raised all of ours but now it seems that I have to raise theirs also. I have two grand kids to watch. I retired but it seems that I didn't. I'd rather be fishing but I guess it's not to be. Jim S.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:42 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Well, ain't it just llke that

Rivers dropping fast and cooming into shape. Great. LOL

Well, I'm not a river jumper. So won't be heading south. When I say river jumper I mean go to where the fishing is "'hot" or in shape. I fish a few rivers religiously and that's it. I only break from them if I'm invited by a friend to join them on another river. I try to respect others "homerivers" and believe iin the "due onto others" scenerio. I have as much, if not more, success then those running river to river on basis of reports then on river knowledge. I'm just weird that way. I grew uup fishing the South Puget Sound rivers and the southern/western OlyPen rivers (I also used to fish alot o the eastern OlyPen rivers, but the are pretty much all closed to steelhead now). I am an obsesed fisherman (ask doublspey about my garage LOL), but I tread on my trusty rivers. Plus, when i planned this trip, it was slated as a multiday trip on the Hoh. Anyone who has fished the Hoh (Morgan's Xing to Oxbow) knows how beautiful the river is to float. It's as much a fishing trip as it is an "at peace" trip. Floating through the lower rainforest aand seeing Roosevelt elk and deer free roaming makes it all worthwhile. Plus I added a brief (I call it brief, others may not, but I could've been more descriptive) thread on what the float wouuld've been. Well, there's always Mmarch.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I've fished Morgans to the Oxbow (well the first day, Spruce Creek to Oxbow) for the first time in a few years.

Threw the pontoon boat in and pretty much explored the water on my own...just hoped there wasnt any deadly water to flip me over.

It quickly became a favorite of mine and has to be one of the most beautiful stretches of river in the state...especially considering it gets lightly fished.

Am dying to get back!!!...counting down the days!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.