Skagit/Sauk CnR Seasons Announced - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Exclamation Skagit/Sauk CnR Seasons Announced

The WDFW has announced the seasons for our beloved CnR seasons. The standard Skagit and Sauk March and April fishery will continue as outlined in the regs phamplet...which is the seasons we have had for the past how many years (aside from last year).

There are some closures below Concrete that will be differnt then what is published in the reg book.

Skagit/Sauk Seasons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2002, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads-up

Seeing as how my farm is way up-river from the Dalles Bridge, this bodes well.

Thanks, Ryan.

P.S. When you Finally outgrow the punk music scene, try the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson. Good stuff from yesteryear...

Last edited by watersprite; 02-20-2002 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2002, 08:20 AM

Got to fish these two rivers some day have been reading about them for 40 years.

But 4,000 wild fish is very low for a watershed this large. In the Skagit/Sauk journal by D. Hogan is says the runs used to be 25,000 winter fish. Plus there used to be a summer run, which now appears lost. Fish got pounded by us (bait, fly, artificial anglers), 60 guides used to work the river. Catch limits of 3 a day per person, guides would take two groups a day and most times all anglers would limit out with 3 steelhead. "Impact on wild fish was devastating"

Couple that over harvesting with the environmental (logging, floods, seals, dams)and other human threats (commercial and tribe netting) etc it is a wonder the wild steelhead are not now all gone.

Probably would be gone if they had not put in the catch and release, barbless hook, no bait rules in the 1980s (I think).

I will continue to pray for these two rivers since when I get there I hope the wild steelhead will still be there.

Later
Old 02-23-2002, 03:09 PM

watersprite. The only reason you listen to all that old stuff is your not hip enough for the other misic. If you want good music go to 97.3 on your radio dial. But being that you are so far up in the hills the signal will probly be just too weak.
Well as for fishing where I live,I think that the next time that I fish the rivers will be in June. As they all look like mud puddles now. But the upper Skagit will be there as will the Sauk. See you later. Jim S.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:05 PM

Everybody knows that white boys can't dance - might I suggest the music is the reason. When in southeast Asia, the brothers in the next fox hole with their Sam Cook, Temptations, etc. taught me about the "groove". Thus empowered I became the real sex machine once I returned home.

The Skagit, like most large rivers in Washington state, has become overly politicized. What with those facrtors already alluded to (each group with their own political agenda) what would one expect. There does appear to be one overriding thread to it all and that is greed. Whether it's the tribal or commercial netting, the logging companies, the hydro-electric industry, or the fractional fishing groups, everyone one wants "their share". And don't blame the farmer, he is generally NOT the culprit is this matter. More pesticides and fertilizers ending up in the river systems are mom and pop consumer sourced.

Yes the fishery has taken quite a toll from these activities, but to proclaim this river system almost dead is absurd (though I must admit that such alarmist cries does motivate the typical Seattlite to take a hard look at their immediate environment, which is good in itself). Combine this new awareness with the realization that most fishers within the state do not want the powers of the fish and game department to be handed over to a legislative group, there is hope. And (a veiled threat) if the F&G commission doesn't have the political will to intercede on behalf of the fisheries with SOLID science, then the citizenry will have to take up the challenge through our initiative process (provided our collective greed can look past the tax proposals and do one for our nature-based lifestyle/heritage).

Lastly, unless I am mistaked here, there IS a summer run of steelhead. This river system is quite healthy in most respects though it could and should be better.

Now that the river is blown out by the recent rain and unfishable, I think I'll go searching for a new Sam Cook CD.

God I love this river...

The "original" old man
Old 02-23-2002, 04:26 PM

Watersprite,

Yes you are right "greed" is the common element among all of the negative impacts to those fisheries and to all in general. Just like Enron. Only that one effected alot of investors and their own employees.

I can see you are from my generation, I am also a Nam era veteran 1966-1970 USAF. Got to do the Cold war and Nam in one tour how lucky, but I survived to live (fish) on.

Same situation here in the mid west but it appears our andramous fisheries do not have all of the risks to the fisheries that we have in the PNW. No high seas or river mouth commercial netting of any magnitude, no dams, no logging, agriculture impacts are not as great as in PNW, we have large runs of fish right now (we do not really count the numbers returning each year, there are more than enough), lots of fisherman here but it sounds like there is more pressure in PNW.

Truly hope that prudent judgement prevails over greed and politics to save the wild fish in the Skagit/SauK as well as the other great rivers in PNW.

Have to go listen to some Otis Redding, remember him, bet many people on this board do not.

Later,

Hal
Old 02-23-2002, 04:56 PM

PM...,

Thanks for the "we" with reference to the PNW.

And I wish Otis was still here to sit at my dock (sans the ships, of course). And I wish he could bring some of that sun he alludes to...

The younger "old man"
Old 02-24-2002, 08:42 AM

Watersprite,

BTW, how do you know that I am older than you ?

Old 02-24-2002, 05:34 PM

PM...,

The "old man" reference was directed to Jim S., from a prior post, who I know from another forum and who now uses this term for this forum's user name. We be friends.

Besides, yesterday your post stated a service entry date of 1966. I entered the service at the ripe old age of 17 in 1967. The possibility that you are older is implied.

And indications are that we may be friends, of a sort, soon... Though I'm not prone to hugging trees, I am very green politically and I'm beginning to think you may be as well.

Steven The Youthful
no longer the reigning "old man"

Last edited by watersprite; 02-24-2002 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:11 PM

It's a Karma thing, guys...

Here I went an envoked the name of Otis the Great and begged for some sunshine. Brother, the past two days have been absolutely gorgeous. The Upper Skagit is clearing very quickly, the mountains around me are gleemering with their frosted splendor and not a cloud in the sky. Thanks Otis.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:04 PM

But it's colder than H up there. You need anti-freeze for your nose. Buts that only on the river. The wind don't blow anywhere else. Jim S. :hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.