bustin stripers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
bustin stripers

After watching a show on ESPN , there was a school of Striper's working over some bait fish . After all the action was over , I was wondering what do you do after this .1 , keep casting were they were at . 2 try and chase them ? Do you guy's out East witness this much ? Does it really matter what pattern you throw at them in a situation like this ? Thank's Fish-head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2002, 08:40 PM

What do you do after the blitz is over? Well there's a number of correct answers.

1. Rest
2. Curse, yell, shout, cry, etc. because during the whole blitz you were trying to untangle your flyline and as you released the last knot the action died.
3. Fish the same spot for a while but keep your eyes on the water and the birds.
4. If you noted a direction the action was moving in try and get ahead of them and wait in "ambush".

It happens fairly regularly. In fact during the peak of the season I'd say it would be pretty difficult to spend any time on the water and not see at least some minor "blitz" action be it bass, blues, tuna, or spanish macs.

As for fly selection it depends on the fish. For tuna I think hatch matching is most important followed by bass, then macs, and finally blues. Blues have a reputation for hitting anything that moves but there are definitely times when they are picky.

A lot of times in this situation the best approach is to cast to the periphery of the action, let the fly sink and give it short and quick twitches with a good pause between them - something Juro calls the "shock and stop".

Gregg
Old 02-20-2002, 09:34 PM
Flats Rat

Right on the money Gregg!

Follow the birds - I wonder how they do it sometimes - must be some telepathic thing. One minute everything dies then a mile away all hell breaks loose and the birds are there in a flash.

If it dies and there's nuthin else happening then my advice is have lunch but be ready to drop the sandwich over the side. I can guarantee that if there's a fish worth catching in the ocean it will show up when you're least prepared to deal with it!

Always look over your shoulder from time to time when wading - you never know who's behind you
Old 02-21-2002, 08:53 AM
_

If you "just missed it" then it is definitely wise to make a few more casts in the area where the blitz occurred and let your fly or lure sink slowly to the bottom to see if any fish are hanging around for "table scraps". Of course, if you can see that the bait has moved off then you may want to follow. If there is plenty of bait around then I would probably stay put. If bait is scarce then I would probably try to follow.

You should also consider the geography of the area where the blitz occurred to determine if it is a contributing factor. If the area attracts bait or the current forces bait into the area, or even if it is just a good "ambush" spot, then you may want to stick around. For example, I have watched stripers herding bait along the rocks of jetties (or rocky shorelines) and they often seem to "blow up" on the bait repeatedly in the same spot. Usually there is a rock or some other structure that causes the baitfish to "break formation" and the stripers use that opportunity to attack the bait. Sometimes you can stake out such a place and see some action every time a school of bait passes through.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sometimes you are STANDING in the blitz!

I'll tell you the funny story about this blitz when I get a chance... fish everywhere and almost impossible to catch... almost
Old 02-21-2002, 10:27 AM
NC Fly Guy

albies

Check out this link:
http://www.flyfish-nc.com/slashing.html
Often times, after the visible action has died down, the fish are still around, just not where you can see them. I like to keep casting but keep an eye peeld for birds moving to a common point. It is hard to describe but once you are around it yourself a few times, you start to get a sense for it. Birds following albies keep looking down into the water and you can tell they are watching something. You also need to be aware of what kind of birds you need to be watching. Around here (NC) the small greyish gulls show us where the albies are, gannets (In winter) show us the big schools of menhaden and often the stripers (and humpback whales, big sandbar sharks, etc), terns rarely mean anything to me nor do the bigger herring gulls. It may be completely different up there...
Old 02-21-2002, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
Man do I enviny you guy's .I have not wintnessed this yet . I talked to 1 of my friend's on the coast this morning , He had 2 on landed 1 on bait yesterday . He Thought it might be Fly fishable this weekend ? What to do , Steelhead just got here last week , or take a chance on a Striper ,Casting off a jetty ? I think Juro's pic , made up my mind . Can you guy's chase them year round out East ?
Old 02-21-2002, 01:10 PM

>>there was a school of Striper's working over some bait fish. <<<

Fish-Head, Typiclly Stripers Work "Under" the Bait & Birds work "Over" the bait:hehe:

Many of us are up here in the North-East, NH, Mass, RI, ... We are Not year-round! In fact, I believe that our Striper Season is Exactly Opposite that of San Fran! Their Best season is November thru March, That's when we have NO Stripers!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.