Deals at the Outlets - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Deals at the Outlets

My wife and I drove up to the outlets in North Conway, NH this afternoon. While there I dropped into the Orvis and the L.L. Bean outlet stores. I came across some great deals that I thought I would post in case any of you guys and gals live near a similar outlet store.

Orvis was selling saltwater flies for $1 a piece! I bought 3 squid flies and 2 clousers. That was all that they were selling that was of any merit. I have been tying flies like mad but I could not pass on these $1 gems. They were also selling lots of freshwater trout flies - 2 dozen flies for $14. I also bought some 9 foot, 12 lb. knotless tapered leaders for $1.50 a piece. I started tying my own leaders but at this price I could not ignore the tapered leaders either.

Orvis had great deals on Redington waders and Ex-Officio travel/flats shirts (marked down from $81 to $32).

L.L. Bean started selling Sage rods this year. I saw a bunch of Sage rods at the outlet - that is a first for me. The rods were 40% off retail.

So - if any of you are in the market for this type of stuff then you should pound the pavement and get to the outlets.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2002, 06:39 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...ulterior motive?...

Mike...Does your wife have a sister?!!! ...and if she does, does she have her own SWFF gear?...and if she does, does she have a place on/near the water?...and if she does, could she be moved to become casually involved with a slightly handicapped, moderately decorated, freshly retired war veteran!?

Orvis & LL Bean...Kiersten is a KEEPER!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:25 PM

You forgot to ask about her boat!

Gregg
Old 02-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Pete,

I put in the good word for you! I stressed the fact that any lucky lass that is able to land you is guaranteed to learn all about what it takes to catch big stripers - and from one of the funniest guys I know!

See you soon...

-Mike
Old 02-18-2002, 11:04 PM
President of CAC

Since your talking about sales... REI in Reading.. just off Rt.128 is having a big sale... Bought some exofficio Shorts and pants for the $30 each..like the Bean sale you mentioned.. They had the same mark downds on flat shirts... didn't buy one because I could not find a color or style I did not have... sick huh?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:18 AM

Talking

color & style: JM, were you looking for something for the casting clave or to wear on the beaches? It looked to me like they (REI) had a great selection for those special occasions.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:41 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Tod... you know how Particular I am....My mission is to get some ascots and "make" Dave Fix wear one.:hehe:
Old 02-19-2002, 10:38 AM
Fluff

BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WISH FOR

The charming, debonair, elegant styling Mr. Fix is noted for (note: similar to the Messrs. Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, et al ) doesn't require being "made" to wear

Frankly, Mr. President, Mr. Fix expresses his deep disappointment in your inability to present appropriately at our recent gathering

Thank you for your notice of current sales items at the local REI.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Middle Aged Member

John,
Next time your at the fishing boutiuqe your fishing caddies uniform requirements are as follows:

Shirts - vented, sleeve length 37", neck 17 - 18 (18 if you require me to wear an asscoat).

Please avoid bright yellows and reds - don't want to get stung by no bees.

Quick dry pants - 40" waist thru mid June, 38" after one or two trips to Monomoy.

Inseam 34", would like the zip off leggings please.

Your Humble Servant
Old 02-19-2002, 01:22 PM
President of CAC

Fred... your hired!.... as my valet... anyone who can put that list together is a made man in my book. Also.. I will want rather drab colors for my caddy as I don't want the caddy noticed more than me.. know what I mean... You will need a back pack as well... Naturally, North Face, I insist... for my GPS, Digital Camera, Leica Binoculars, Other grubby fishing stuff, bottled water... anything European, Starbucks Coffee in Hy-tech thermos, Additionnal thermos for expresso(French Roast), Sandwiches from Chatham Provisions... with goat cheese and healthy Vegies...., Cuban Cigars, Bolivar Robustos... Dunhill 1920's Silver lighter, French Gitane Cigarettes, Creed Irish Tweed Cologna( If you get the 4 onz.. it's only $150.. the 2 1/2 is $130), Extra Fly Rods and Reels... and don't put one of those Reddinton reels in there... I don't like practical jokes from the help. Oh... and Casting Gloves... .. Please take care to hire that fellow..Fix ,also... I want you to supervise him... he should only speak to me though you... as my second.. Frederick.... have I missed anything?...speak up Jeevers I don't have all day!

Last edited by striblue; 02-19-2002 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:23 PM

Much of this thread makes me think "Boy do we need a fishing report".
Old 02-19-2002, 05:04 PM

It hurts.........

I have my taxes done and I was just waiting on my Bride to finish up her part of the story, I was laughing so loudly at this thread that I broke her train of thought and shes in the other end of the house. Probably not an accurate reflection of the humor just a combination of humor and releif, any hoot I think its hilarious.
The rains are slowing down mayhaps a fish or two is in the offing!
Old 02-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Recent Member

Closer to home..

Mike..... Had the good luck of finding a small selection of North Face pants and shirts at the local TJMax. Pants are zippered at both the knee and cuff, sand in color,with belt, and $14.99/ pr.. Shirts were both long and short sleeved, vented, and like the pants are the pat. TEKWARE. They were priced at $15-$20. I bought them all. Maybe we can work a swap. Some of your Orvis flies for pants with one?...... Dad..
Old 02-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Wanna be striper bum

For those that do not know it - this is my Dad. The one and the only old OldDoogue / Jim Doogue / one more Doogue to confuse all of you out there in cyberspace.

Welcome back Dad.

I am all for a trade.

Yeehaaa!
Old 02-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Fluff

Yeah, I still think we shoulda gone with 'Three Doogue Night'

Hi, Jim - where ya been???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.