Looking For Suggestions - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Middle Aged Member

Looking For Suggestions

Taking the family on a cruise up the Inside Passage and Alaskan panhandle in August. Any suggestions for a day trip with the wand for my son and I? We'll be stopping in Ketchakan, Junuo and Skagway I believe. We can book a trip through the cruiseline for a "conventional" trip with a gaurenteed salmon. But I'd prefer something a little different. Did see, on ESPN I think, a few weeks ago steelhead fishing on Admiralty Island. Guides take you over from Juneao. Now that looked interesting.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Cruiser Beware!

Fred-
I only have experience with Sitka when it comes to Southeast Alaska so I can not give you any first hand experience about Juneau, Ketchikan and others BUT I can tell you to be careful.

If you are considering taking a charter boat to salmon fish out of these towns, many captains prey upon those who are in town just for the day on a cruise ship.

The charters that really push themselves as the perfect option for those with minimal time tend to be poor fisherman, take very poor care of your catch etc. etc.

Be very careful...
Old 02-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Fred,

In 1998 I hopped on a ferry in Bellingham, WA and set forth for Alaska. My goal for the trip was to catch many, many salmon on the fly. I met these goals during a 3 week trip that was truly the trip of a lifetime. I spent most of my time near Juneau and on Admiralty Island (I hired a float plane to drop me off on Admiralty and I stayed for a week). I caught dozens of salmon (mostly pinks and a few coho and chums) a handful of dolly varden and hundreds of cutthroat.

I was solo on the trip and I did not hire any guides. Therefore, I gathered a lot of info on places to fish near "major" towns and cities.

In short, we should talk. I have been thinking about writing an article about my trip for the Forum but I have segued into some other web related pursuits for the time being.

The most important question is this: when are you going? Later in August you will be more likely to get into some coho - which would be awesome.

I was there in late July and early August. On the ferry trip back t WA we stopped in Ketchikan. During the 2 hour layover in Ketchican I saw 1000s of pink salmon in some river to the south of the ferry port.

Get in touch with me and we can chat. Check your private messages.

-Mike

Last edited by doogue; 02-17-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2002, 04:13 PM

not much opportunity for steelhead up here during the summer.your best bet during august will be for silvers.talk to the juneau flyfishing goods shop for ideas around juneau/admirlty island.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:35 PM

Alaska Cruise

Hi FredA

Are you starting your trip from the US. side or Vancouver BC.?

Getting into the high time on salmon runs both in Washington & British Columbia Meet you at the ship.

----saltRon
Old 02-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Middle Aged Member

Ryan,
I pretty much expected the response you gave on the cruiseline sponsored charters.

Mike - if it were up to my son and I your approach to this type of trip is appealing but it's not what mother and daughter had in mind. Look forward to talking to you about your experience.

Saltron- we're time strapped on both ends of the trip but you have the wheels turning. We are going out of Vancover. I'm thinking, my son and I can add a day or two on either end of the trip....

Thanks all
Old 02-18-2002, 12:28 PM

Fred everywhere that you are going will have an abundance of Pink salmon (Humpback, Humpies) The ADF&G is calling for a banner year, this usually coincides with a fairly robust Coho run as well.
As stated the time in mid to late august will see every small stream in the region teeming with the little Humpies and in some cases the first showing of Coho but you will be hard pressed to hook any coho with out snagging a Humpie. By all means take along your fishing equipment A single handed 7wt will do nicely. Be sure and tie up some snag proof flys we use to get by with Keel Hooks by Wright McGill but others have had some luck using colored pipe cleaners as hook guard its like trying to fish in the weeds you must address this or your trip will lack luster. The coho like a very fast retrive and with the streams choked with salmon its hard to pull the fly through the pool without snagging!
Additoionally there will be Summer Chums in a few of the streams around Skagway these are seriously tough fish capable of wearing you down but not plentiful in most places.
As rules change fairly often and I have not lived in Alaska for several years I would suggest that you visit the web site for the Alaska Department of Fish & Game.
Juneau has miles of roads that will give you access to alot of beaches and numerous streams with a little help from local ADF&G sources you should do well.
When I lived in Katchacan(Can of Salmon that is) there were and still are nice resident rainbows and some steelhead( but not in August ) in a few of the streams you can drive to. Actually if you were to rent a car with the advance planning that you are getting into you will be hard pressed to have a better time than just viewing the tremendous abundance of fish in the water everywhere you will be traveling.
Hope I don't sound too carried away I must be getting homesick. I guess I'd better wander up that way again myself sooner the better.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:05 PM

Alaska Cruise

Hi FredA------ Check out your mail and will be glad to see you in Vancouver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.