Big Brother Fly Fishing Day - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Big Brother Fly Fishing Day

I saw a Discovery Channel show the other day on drugs and theories about their frequent use in troubled families of all classes. Whether it be alchohol, nicotine or cocaine, they all have the same approach to overloading the dopamine in the brain so that chemically induced sensation of joy overcomes natural sources of joy. Unbelievably, the levels of artificial stimulation in the brain induced by drugs exceeds that of sexual orgasm.

This made me think about how lucky we are in that we all share a common ability to derive great joy from something pure and of the earth, something close to our true nature as living beings - crafting things that reflect our insights from feathers and fur to stand in the deafening silence of a burning dawn; as the world sleeps behind us we step into the waves of a day we feel right down to the marrow.

I pondered that even though drugs are often a more powerful motivator than the simple joys of life (to some), perhaps they are not as powerful a substance as "the salt of life" itself.

And so I called Big Brother Assoc. of Boston last night after hours to carpe diem and left a message that I would like to talk to them about an annual fly fishing excursion with fatherless boys sponsored by the Flyfishing Forum.

I of all people am too busy to have the traditional big brother relationship with one of these kids, but I think a day in June, perhaps Father's Day, would be a great way to introduce some of these boys to flyfishing on our great coast.

My family let's me do anything I want on Father's Day. I always fish. Maybe as a 40-something father of three I should be a father to someone who's Father's Day is a source of emotional suffering. Maybe I can make a difference that way.

Our goal won't be to have the traditional relationship unless anyone can manage that kind of commitment - it will be an annual event instead.

I'll let you know what they say. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this, and if you could join me this Father's Day.

thanks,

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2002, 12:53 PM

What a truly wonderful idea Juro. I'm in in anyway I can help. I hope they take us up on the offer.

Gregg
Old 02-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Flats Rat

What a great idea!

I have a committment on Sat 15th but Sunday June 16th is free. Love to help any way I can!
Old 02-17-2002, 02:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Thumbs up I'll check the date

great idea, I'll double check on the day to make sure some big F'day thing isn't planned, and get back to you. Tom D
Old 02-17-2002, 09:14 PM

Well, I've talked this over offline with a few people and here are a few more suggestions:

a) We should do the outing with the big brother and the kids as hosts and guides rather than as big brothers ourselves wherever possible. We want to teach how to fish for a lifetime, not give a fish for a day. By handing the big brother the torch we will achieve a lot more.

b) We should offer this service to them let them the B/B organization handle the recruitment the way they see fit

c) This kind of program should be offered in every region where we can uphold the offer to the BB's

All of your suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Flats Rat

That makes a lot of sense - giving something which may become a catalyst for ongoing good!
Old 02-18-2002, 06:10 AM

Good stuff Juro. Count me in.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:57 PM

Nice idea.

Pending any family time requirements, I'll help out anyway needed.

Roop
Old 02-18-2002, 03:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
looks like I'm good to go if this can be done Juro
Old 02-20-2002, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Are you kidding! Of course I'm in.

Can't wait.

But what happens if the kid hooks up to that once in a lifetime 45incher? Would it be considered poor Big Brother etiquette to tackle your kid and steal the rod?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up

I spoke with BB and they are interested in doing this. I will be working closely with them to firm up the plans. If anyone wants to be involved in the planning effort, let me know we can always use the help.

We will need several more members to chaperone the big/little brother groups.

We'll most likely take the big brothers and little brothers on the Rip Ryder out to South Beach for the day, then maybe a barbeque that evening or something.

At least one Forum member per big/little brother pair is needed, preferably more.

Ideal date will be Father's Day or thereabouts. Please consider giving a day to this cause. Who knows, if it goes well maybe it will become an annual tradition too!

The plans are open for refinement, if you are willing and able feel free to get involved. Thanks in advance to all who are willing to help out!

Juro
Old 02-20-2002, 11:46 PM
Flats Rat

Juro, not sure what I can do from this end but I'm definitely on for that day. South beach/barbecue combo sounds great. Can supply a couple of 9wt outfits, flies etc. and hands on attention.

Maybe we can get a few minutes to chat as a group on March 9th over a hotdog/diet coke
Old 02-21-2002, 09:01 AM
Fly chucker

Juro- This is probably the best idea I've seen so far since I've frequented this forum. I usually have family obligations on Father's Day, but if I'm available I'd love to help out in any way that I can.

Kudos on a wonderful project idea!
Old 02-22-2002, 11:22 AM
President of CAC

I'm In.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Would it be worthwhile for some of us to kayak over to SB?

That way we could let the kids paddle around the shore with their BB as well. Young kids have been known to have young attention spans. Kayaks might be a decent diversion as the day progresses.

I've yet to broach the topic of a Father's Day exit strategy with Sandy, but I'd like to help out. I have a soft spot for all kids but especially kids that are less fortunate than my own.

~Mark Doogue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.