A snake, but not a roll - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 06:55 PM

A snake, but not a roll

I must be using a kelt fly or fishing a recovery hole. I landed another snaky steelhead again this morning on the Sky.

Ahh, but what a gorgeous morning to be knee deep in running water!

Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Dammit, Leland . . . you gotta stop fishing those back-eddies!! :hehe: :hehe:

Seriously, tho . . there were a lot of hatchery fish in the river this year and it seems many have survived their attempts at spawning in the river. I've heard of quite a few being caught, 'specially in the Sky.

I used to get annoyed when I caught one (or a Dolly).

After all, I'd gotten up at a gawd-awful early hour, was covered in 4 layers of fleece to protect me from the inclement weather, and was standing in this rushing river trying to connect to a chromer bullet that would take me for a ride down the river.

Then the adrenaline promise of a strong grab was followed by the anticlimactic realization that I'd just been awarded the 3rd place award for my efforts.

I'm a little more appreciative now - as Duggan commented in an earlier thread, part of the joy of steelheading is becoming a part of a great river and it's flow of life for a few moments. Dollys and spawners are a part of this as much as the large natives I'm searching for. If that's what I get from the river on a given day, then so be it.

That's not to say that I brag about the river suckers I snag in the A** or take digital shots of the spawnouts I land

How about it??? Anybody else getting a lot of spawners this year?

DS
Old 02-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
DS-
I havent touched a single downstreamer this year but I have heard of lots being landed. Much more then normal...

I wouldnt be too worried about the downstreamers being actual brats that spawned in the wild. The vast majority of these (hopefully all) are downstreamers that were actually released from Reiter after they were spawned.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Chief of E.P.

I haven't been "fortunate" enough to land one this year but I did tap one on the head Wednesday morning with my rod tip. I just wanted to see if he was even alive but if fish sleep, he was deep in dreamland. As soon as I tapped him, away he went into the deep water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.