Maxima Leader Material - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 12:42 PM

Maxima Leader Material

It's that time of year again, when I wonder if I should step up from the blue light special Stren I used last season to something of a reportedly "higher" quality.

Maxima - Clear, Ultragreen & Chameleon.

Has anyone used these for salt & what do you think?

Thanks.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 12:59 PM
LBFF Mojo

I use the maxima stuff to build my leader sections and have no complaints. I just stick with the clear stuff but for no other reason than I don't think the "red" Chameleon stuff is all that stealthy. However as of late I am getting too lazy and am just buying rio leaders or using the airflo poly leaders(which kick butt and last a long time).

I am starting to realize the key to more hook-ups(at least for myself) is fluoro-carbon tippetts. The stuff really does seem invisible to the fish. I find that I am able to use heavier tippetts than normal with the fluoro without hurting my catch rate. Also since I have the heavier tippett I can land fish a little quicker than normal and send them on their way.

-sean
Old 02-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Thumbs up

I've been using the Maxima for a couple of years. I can't say anything bad about it. It seems to be pretty tough stuff. The areas I fish around here are rocky and it holds up to the scrapes and nicks. It also holds up well at the meca . It seems to hold a knot well. Except wind knots. Some thing I'm all too familiar with. There's probably better leader material out there but I don't think you'll be disappointed with Maxina
Old 02-14-2002, 01:41 PM
President of CAC

Jeff.. I have been using the Orvis Mirrage flouro but will be trying the new Verivas leader material that I picked up at Harry Koons in Orleans this fall... I have had no problems with the Mirrage.. but I did have problems with the product known as "Vanish". Can not comment on Maxima.... love the name though... like some advertisment from Penthouse magazine.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Here fishy fishy

After continuing to buy Orvis Mirage, it was our resident GQ flyfisherman - Nick - who recommended I make a trip to Walmart and buy a spool of Stren flouro and save my money. Took his advice and for about the same price - circa $10 - purchased 150 yards of stren instead of 25 feet of orvis. Fish didn't seem to mind...
Old 02-14-2002, 01:50 PM

Jeff - I've built all my leaders for last year with the chamelion stuff & had no real complaints/probs (other than the aforementioned wind knots...)

I was out on those mystical Joppa flats and the boat owner starts giving out to me about my leaders not being flouro AND being brown.
He got about 4 words into his seecond sentance when I set the hook - 3 min & 26" later I said, "What were you saying?"

fluoro tippets helped out though.

Oh yeah, and if you use it for tippets on a Climax leader JM might have to loosen his ascot to fish...
Old 02-14-2002, 02:02 PM

Thanks guys.

I have some Cabela's Points I want to use up & that seems about the only thing I need from them.

Tod - I love the cost effectiveness of Stren, never had any complaints from the fish I've landed either.

Just thinking about more sight casting this year and think it wouldn't hurt to use something without a blue tinge to it.

Roop
Old 02-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Fluff

I believe the Fishing Ninja uses Maxima

and swears by it.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:27 PM

I know this runs counter to other expert witnesses but I've built my leader/tippets for the past two years using Segar flouro for the 40# & 30# sections and Vanish for the 'tippet' ( 20# when fishing offshore and 14# when in skinny water ) As long as you lubricate the knots thoroughly before making up I've had complete confidence in laying the lumber to a fish. If the knot is going to fail, you willl realize it right away as you cinch it up.
The Segar runs about $ 15-$ 18 for 25yds which lasts for the season.

Anybody else have comments about the one-piece tapered leader/tippets?
Old 02-14-2002, 05:23 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Jeff, just got back from a couple of weeks in the Keys for bones. I have not been a true believer in fluorocarbon tippets, but am beginning to believe it does work. In fact, the guides at Islamorada swear by it!. Their recommendation based on experience is Seaguar Fluorocarbon. This is saltwater duty stuff. It is available in 25 and 50 yard spools. Cabelas has it in 10, 12, 15, 20 etc. Believe it sells for $7.99 for a 25yd spool. Fifty yard spool is $15.98.

As you know, don't skimp on the tippet, it is your last link to the fly/fish.

Hey man, think I'm going to buy a kayak, Walden Cuda. See ya beginning of June.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Jim!! Glad to hear from you.

Hope to hear more about your adventures in Islamorada.

Can't wait to see you this summer, we got some new areas to try out, you don't need to buy a yak - I'm pretty confident we can get you a free "loaner".

I like Seaguar. I've used it for the last 2 years. Last season I did have it fail on me 2X and not at the knot!!

For what it's worth - I believe fluoro is less resistant to constant heat/ sun/ soakings that wading fishermen put their gear through - leading to breakage. The tippet material that failed on me was the remnant of a spool from the season before.

Of course, after a few outings I get tired of worrying about knots & presentation and just go with a 4' section of 20# Stren! The fish seemed to like it.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I love maxima ultragreen for an all-around leader material for a number of reasons:

I like the physical characteristics - strong, not stiff, not limp, good color, etc.

A big plus is that the spools / diameters are rated so they make it simple as pie to build great leaders using the simple 60/20/20 rule, with flouro tippet (only) for vis-sensitive situations where I do a majority of my SWFF. So I can go to the store, buy 40#, 30#, 25#, 20# ,15#, 12# and a spool of high quality flouro tippet in 15# and I'm good for a couple of seasons with the exception of replacements for commonly used diams. In fact I still have enough on last years spools to only need a 15# refill plus a new flouro spool to go chase stripers this spring. The Lb Test rating makes it easy to custom build butts, tapers and tippets in any combo I need on the spot because I carry these 7 spools in a bag in the rear compartment of my chest pack.

Cost is reasonable over the course of a few seasons but you do need to invest in the starter pack of 40# down to 15# or 12# for SWFF striper style.

To add on coverage for trout just buy more spools from the added selection in lower sizes: 10#, 8#, 6#, 5#, 4#, 3#, 2#, 1#

Once you buy the 'set' you only make occasional refill purchases. The taper sections are usually quite short so the spools used for taper sections can last a few years.

I can't see the need for a full flouro leader, but I do believe a flouro tippet is a plus in certain conditions. In surf I use 20# maxima "tippet". On the flats I use 15# or 12# flouro, long overall leader length and tippet portion. When it doesn't make any difference (spring fish, night fishing, etc) I mostly use 15# maxima.

I would think chameleon would be ideal for the Merrimack or any other tannin-stained waters.

I also have a full set of clear spools but haven't given them much time in the water yet so have no comments.

Elastic spool 'bras' let's you dispense just what you need without the nasty unraveling problems most little spools suffer from. Snap 'em on and you're good until the last wrap is used. They are 100% reusable on the next spool - I even mark them sometimes to make it easy to ID the spools.

When you add up all the factors you can't beat maxima ultragreen!
Old 02-15-2002, 12:02 AM
CantAnchorUs

To me it makes no sense to skimp on the bussiness end of the system. What is the sense of buying $500 reels $700 rods and then pinching pennies on the $2 leader? Fly Fish America, the publication that they give away at the stores, had a comparison of floro in thier Gear Guide issue. It was quite interesting, it even gave a yd. by yd. comparison of price by manufacturer. At the end of the piece they mentioned a new generation of super floro that is 60% stronger for the same diameter. As an example the .010 dia. made by most companies tested out between 11 and 12 lbs. breaking strength, but the new super floro tested 16 lbs. for the same dia. , quite a bit of safty margin. Is it worth the extra $2? Please hold all ansewers till your on the beach and the biggest fish you ever hooked is swimming away with 6in. of leader trailing from it`s jaw. Also the specific gravity of floro is 1.7 whereas the gravity of nylon is 1.1, in other words the floro breaks thru the surface tension much faster and sinks at a faster rate than nylon.
I spent years fishing comm. off the beach and while you might use any old rod and a reel that had seen better days, the line, the essential link between man and fish was always the best that could be gotten.
Slinger
Old 02-15-2002, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up

I have been using Maxima for years and like Juro love the ultragreen. In the salt I have used the clear Maxima with good success. Lately I have been using Umpqua fluoro which I like because it holds knots better than other brands of fluoro.
FishHawk:
Old 02-15-2002, 05:37 AM

I also use Maxima material with a flurocarbon tippet. I do do something different though, I use the ultragreen for the butt section. The reason being I can see the leader which acts like a strike indicator. The rest of the leader is clear with a flurocarbon tippet. I use the surgeons knot to tie the material together, rather than the blood knot, easier for me to tie. Leaders with knots though, are good mung catchers. If you are rich buy the one piece flurocarbon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.