Mackerel Info - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2000, 01:20 PM

Mackerel Info

I ran accross this article on Mackerel in the NE. I thought Tinker Mackerel were like Juvie Pogies, just smaller (younger) versions of the same animal. However this is incorrect; this is an excerpt from:

<a href="http://www.alloutdoors.com/aolibrary/fishing/salt/holymackerel.asp" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.alloutdoors.com/aolibrary/fishing/salt/holymackerel.asp</a><!--auto-->

There are actually two species of mackerel occurring in our waters. The larger Atlantic Mackerel (Scomber scombrus), which generally attains a length of 14-18 inches and weight of 1-2 pounds. They can get considerably larger and there is a record of a 7 1/2-pound fish. The smaller tinker mackerel (Scomber colias) are usually only 8-14 inches. They possess spots and blotches on the sides and have a swim bladder, both of which are lacking in the Atlantic Mackerel. Smaller Atlantics are sometimes referred to as "Tinkers", but if you want to be precise, look for the spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2000, 02:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Mackerel Info

No images! Good article but I was left wishing I could see the differences described.

Good scoop, dude.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:28 PM
i'm so outta here

Bob Humphrey misnames then in his article. "Tinker" does refer to a juvenile state. Most references I've seen refer to spotted macks as "chub mackerel."
Old 12-27-2000, 03:54 PM

Therefore these Marblehead Harbor Macs we caught were Atlantics?

Old 12-27-2000, 05:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's gotta be an atlantic IMHO.

Sean Fields, formerly of Goose Hummock and Nauset Angler, tells of a day on the outer beaches when small bright blue mackeral with wild looking spots were run into the bowls and held in a massacre that lasted for hours, blues and huge bass taking turns. He remembers them looking like exotic species, robin's egg blues. I wonder if those were the smaller "chub" species that ranges on both atlantic and pacific waters?

Out in the raging ocean flows of the strait between the north face of the Olympics and Vancouver Island, there were hordes of jack mackeral feeding ravenously on the pacific herring swarms. They are really fast swimmers but nothing compared to the short burst speeds of coho salmon. The jacks would push the herring and krill into a wave and as it got intense, the coho would slice thru the compressed bait like silver lightning bolts. We figured out that the best way to avoid hooking the mackeral was to cast ahead of the bait wave as it compressed.

Interesting (albeit not complete) site from a FDA perspective...
<!--http--><a href="http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/rfe0.html" target="_blank">HERE</a><!--url-->
Old 12-28-2000, 10:33 AM

Yes Terry, Definately Atlantics.

Al & I had an encounter with these "different" Mackerel one Fine July morning at the PI Bowl (the same day we saw Terry & SSully). The fish (stripers & Shad) were scraffing the beach & driving these 5-7" guys right up onto the sand. Al & I were tossing them back into the water before the gulls got to them. I took a pretty good look at one & did notice that the color was more of a blue/green (not the Deep Teal) & they lacked the well defined verticle bars (see above). However, I attributed this to the fact that the markings on many species are very different in the Juvie stage. I had no Idea the we were looking at a whole different animal.

Al, the article did say [Smaller Atlantics are sometimes referred to as "Tinkers", but if you want to be precise, look for the spots.]. I think that this is a case of semantics with fisherman lingo vs. marine biology lingo. There is also a ton of regional stuff like when we say snappers, we mean small blue fish not red snapper. I still like our "Mirco" & the RI term "Dinks" for small stripers.

I guess my main point was that I had no Idea that there were two disticnt types of mackerel in this area. And I had a feeling that other didn't know it either.

I also agree with Juro that a couple of pictures would have been a good Idea for that article.
Old 12-28-2000, 11:10 AM

This is depressing, relive the original story here.

<!--http--><a href="http://216.71.206.188/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=stripers&Post= 283&Idle=365&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=22&Session= " target="_blank">PI Morning</a><!--url-->
Old 12-28-2000, 11:51 AM

Thanks Greg, I just reread that thread and it put me right back in my boat that day.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.