Saltwater Flyfishing in Delaware - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2000, 07:34 AM

Saltwater Flyfishing in Delaware

Iím a fly fisherman from Edinburgh in Scotland and Iíll be staying in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for three weeks from May 23 2001. Although Iíve fished for trout for over 25 years Iíve never tried saltwater flyfishing.

Iíve just read the article in Ďfly fishing forumí on surf fishing for Striped Bass and wondered if anyone had any information flies, tackle, lines, locations etc which would allow me to come prepared next year. Iíd be happy to reciprocate with information about Scottish flyfishing should that be useful to anyone coming over Ďthe pondí my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2000, 07:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Saltwater Flyfishing in Delaware

You've got yourself a deal! I am fascinated by the flyfishing heritage in Scotland and would be glad to provide as much information as possible to help you succeed on your visit. Better yet if you can manage a detour to Cape Cod, we can usher you around to some of the hot spots in person.

I am preparing a follow-up to the initial article and think it will answer many of your questions. In the mean time, look around some more and although not nearly as efficient I think you'll get some ideas.

WELCOME!
Old 11-14-2000, 01:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Phil, having scots blood in at least have my veins, I would be glad to help you out as much as possible. I am, as most of the people on this board, in the Boston area. Juro, coul we maybe have an "over the pond" clave???
Old 11-14-2000, 02:59 PM

Phil,

If my memory serves me, we had some outstanding fishing this past May on the South Side of Cape Cod. The (Terry) Bass River Clave comes to mind, with a lot of Twinkey bass caught, but just as many mid-sized (25"-29")line-siders were had. However, we did have an early warm spell this spring which may have moved the fish further North than normal for that time of year. This implies (correctly) that every season is different; the only thing for certain is that the "good-sized" stripers will be somewhere between New Jersey & Cape Cod at that time. All that being said, keep your eyes on the boards (particulally this one!) starting towards the end of April. If your interested in a good refernce book that gives locations try "Striper Hot Spots" by Frank Diagnault (sp?); this covers shore fishing from New Jersey to Maine. However, the real local knowledge will come from Forums like this one! If I had to prognosticate (sp?), Rhode Island would be a good bet & that's not a long drive from Delaware.

Good Luck,
GregO.
Old 11-14-2000, 06:43 PM

We can make you feel right at home here in America.

What about "Carp on a fly" than some "Striper Magic" afterwards.

Bring your Bag Pipes! Any reasons is a good reason to clave on!
Old 11-17-2000, 09:15 AM

juro, tomd, grego, Ray et al

I've emailed some of you seperately and received a number of emails from your fellow clavers. I just wanted to record my gratitude for the info I've recieved about this enquiry and about the jacket. To think that a complete stranger in the States is willing to phone someone on the other side of his country on behalf of a guy he's never met is frankly amazing.

I hope to have loads more contact with you all through the forum and would like to think that we could establish some kind of fly fishing transatlantic link. Sounds a bit grandiose but what the hell....if the title fits!!!!
Old 11-18-2000, 04:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Phil, in the magazine "flyfishing in salt waters", there is an article about fishing in that area. If you can't get it in Scotland, let me know, and I could send it to you. Tom D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.