How to drive a rude gear head nuts... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2001, 08:27 PM
Mr. Mom

How to drive a rude gear head nuts...

Was fishing a long pool on the Snoqualmie, and this gear guy jumps in about 20 yds down from me. I figure he's hitting his hole and he'll bail. He doesn't. He waits until I work down uncomfortably close to him, goes back to shore to pick up his coffee cup, goes twenty yards down and starts again. So I decide I'm going to have a little fun. I start fishing faster. Once again he moves. I speed up some more, he moves again, but this time he leaves his coffee behind (aka litters). Next time he moves I take half as many steps as he does while his back is turned. He's stunned that I'm so close a couple minutes later as the floating portion of my line drifts into his field of view. Every time He moves while looking downstream, I repeat my downstream slide. Poor guy just doesn't understand why he keeps moving greater distances, yet he still only has a couple minutes of fishing time before moving again. High point was when I picked his pocket and hooked up right in front of him. I worked the fish upstream, loosening my drag and exaggerating my efforts to make it look like big moe. With my back to him I gently slide the barbeless hook out of the dorsal fin of the Sucker I foul hooked and returned it to the river. As I walked down past him I shook my head with a big smile on my face and said "man, they really are the king of gamefish, aren't they? You been hooking up lately?" and proceeded to have a pleasant conversation about where fish have been and haven't been lately. It was a good day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2001, 06:01 AM
admin

BRAVO!

Philster, you made my day and it's barely 7am. That story will even out all the mentioning of pink worms and bait that has been rearing it's head on this "purist" flyfishing board lately }>

[TIC, of course]
Old 11-13-2001, 11:15 PM
Recent Member

Philster,

Good work man! I have had this happen so many times on the Snoqualmie I normaly just keep fishin and try not to let it bother me but I have on occasion worked them into deep water that was over thier waders one memorable experience was on the lower end of the tolt run in the frog water.I would call them anglers with no manners at all, you would be so surprised how many of these were flyfisherman. most don't know the correct etiquette but a lot have apologised upon being told and claimed they had no idea I have met some pretty cool people through these unpleasant experiences.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.