Sage Changes All Two-Handers for 2002 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2001, 10:44 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Sage Changes All Two-Handers for 2002

...settle down though. It is only a minor cosmetical change. They are going away from the green blank and back to the brown blank which will be the color of the SLT and the same wrapping scheme and such.

So after the first of the year, you might stuble upon some great deals for 2001 Sage Two-handers when the shops get their shipments of the 2002 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2001, 12:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
good heads up Ryan thanks . even though you should all be fishing Burkheimers:O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2001, 12:51 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
No problem but keep it on the low... Sage is trying to keep it quiet but they made a big mistake by letting me know. I've got the biggest mouth of anyone around. }> }>

Someday I'll have to tell you about how my big mouth nearly got Simms pulled from the shop I work at.

...but it has something to do with flyshop.com, yours truly pimping Bailey waders and the President of Simms reading that very post.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

Very cool! This may be exactly the opportunity I needed to add a couple rods to the rack.

In addition to stores clearing their existing inventory, some stores are chosen as clearance centers offering discontinued rods at 50% retail - Kittery Trading Post in Maine is an example. These rods scream off the shelf so if you know anyone who knows anyone... I expect they will get a bunch due to Ryans News.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:07 PM

Interesting they would 'dump' the green blanks and go back to their "traditional" browns. Public said "no" to the new colour?
fe
Old 11-11-2001, 01:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Fred I think consumers are saying no to fair preformance at a high price.. Just my opinion but I think there are better rods out there for the same price or less. To be honest I don't think that is limited to their spey rods. There is nothing wrong with their rods as a whole but as far as I am concerned none of them are spectacular rods but they are all decent rods. I just think people are sick of things changing every other month and not changing for the better.. I am not trying to badmouth sage I just think they are losing well have lost their competitive edge. I think they need to put some serious thought into designing rods that preform better than other makers because they clearly are not doing that now..
Old 11-11-2001, 10:33 PM
Recent Member

Personally I kind of liked the green blanks, although the color of a rod should not matter compared to how it performs.I have casted all of the traditional action sage rods and they perform well, possibly lacking in power a bit but they are smooth. I spent the weekend testing every spey line I own on the sage 7141-4 and I walked away thinking how could there be a better rod for its designated line weight. It does everything well from shooting heads to the accellerator I could fish it year round and not feel compromised in the least. I have casted the burkhiemer rods and they are o.k I feel they are under powered for my style of casting. I own a winston DB rod 8/9 that is the most powerful rod on the market it will throw the whole 9/10 accel if you want. But the rod I love the most is the sage 8150-4, a true master peice in rod desighn although some may disagree. I own more than a few rods from different makers but when I pick a rod for a full days fishing I always seem to grab one of the sage rods!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:26 AM

Interesting you should mention the 815 sage spey; this is quickly becomeing a 'cult rod.' Only used one once, with a really wrong line match and wasn't impressed. But, as I said, I think it was the line,not the rod.

Have 7 or 8 spey rods now, all but two are Sages (also several other fly rods, leaning heavily towards the sage product). Love their spey rods but are there better ones? Probably, but I think it has to do with your "style" of casting and what works with you time after time.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:27 AM

Sage is changing the colors to match the XP and SLT. XP color for fast action/SLT color for moderate action. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:51 PM
Recent Member

I suppose there is nothing wrong with being color cordinated but its sure gonna take some time for that color to growon me.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.