Our Environment/ Conservation - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2002, 08:41 AM

Our Environment/ Conservation

Does it make sense to break up the "Our Environment" threads into a regional or species specific areas?

My thought is that we could ask members from each area to use the regioanl area to report, advise & ask for help without it getting lost against threads form other ares?

Dooes this make sense to anyone?

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2002, 09:11 AM

I think this would make sense in the future if the posting rate gets higher. At the most recent rate we wouldn't get more than 8 threads a month and we have only had 27 threads since the begining of the board.

Gregg
Old 02-11-2002, 10:04 AM

IMHO, this is a six of one half dozen of the other situation. The topics are currently spread out on the various boards, which is why not many end up on the our enviroment board. Topics near & dear to the striper fisherman end up on the striper board, while those close to the steelheaders end up on the Pacific NW board.

What may be needed is a way to send a form e-mail to respective agencies, etc. The recent link to the one for mandating wild steelhead release in Washington made it effortless to send an e-mail to the appropriate agency. I just wish that it had worked. Oh, being able to personalize the message of the e-mail would be usefull.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:30 PM

Right now there are 31 boards. The destinctions between some of them are minute. To wit:
the difference between-"Gear Talk","Lines Loops Leaders", and "Works for Me" boards is minimal hence- slow groups.
I agree that local enviromental issues call for local politics and action. But, I believe the overall number of boards should not get out of control. When people cruise our sight for the first time, if they are lucky enough to click on the tiny "Flytalk" link, seeing 57 boards with 5 post in many of them is a turn off.
As with any board management issue I'm hesitant to participate given our past experiments in democracy. And on this issue I've raised it before and the response was evan more boards. But I humbly hope there is some consideration of limitng board proliferation in the vision of FFF.
For the record I now use the new "User CP" to subscribe to boards. It works great for the estsablished member. You simply get a list of boards you want to see every time you log in.
Maybe for the person who has never been here before they can se a paired down list of the boards ??? Then once you join, you get the rest of the 171 boards.
Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 02-11-2002 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:16 PM
LBFF Mojo

To be fair there are 31 sub-boards and 9 main boards.

It does seem like a lot and when I first signed on to help with the site I thought it was a little overwhelming. I will admit I really only interact with the board through the "Get new posts" link which notifies me of posts across all boards which I like. That way I can reply to the ones I want to and know in the future the post will hopefully be categorized correctly into a sub-voard so I can find it later by browsing through that sub forum. Having threads somewhat organized is a really good thing.

You can pick and choose which boards you want through the user cp which is a good way to go as well.

In the future I think you will see us moving more towards personalized boards such as Dana's Spey Clave:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...?s=&forumid=45

You will notice once inside the only way to get to the FFF forum is through the link under the user CP button in the upper right corner of the screen.

Since the board is linked directly from the speypages homepage the board is very much its own entity. A lot of folks who browse it might not even bother checking out the other boards on FFF, which is fine. They are into spey fly fishing so why pummell them with sight fishing for stripers? Yeah if they get a hankering to get out to the cape and go striper fishing they always have the option to check out the striper board.

So long story short look in the future for boards and site content to be focused regionally and/or type of fishing.

The spey clave is the first experiemnt in that way of thinking and so far it seems to be going well.

Yeah there will always be a central area where all the boards are but we will be providing the means to interact with the boards on a more personal and focused level. Think of flytalk as the hub of a wheel and the spokes being separate discussion boards providing the oportunity to discuss local fly fishing opportunites and styles anywhere in the world.

Hopefully before spring when fishing starts up and we get nothing done:hehe:

-seanspeypages
Old 02-12-2002, 02:01 PM

Yikes! Thanks for the reply Sean. Soooo how about a "Flats Clothing" board?

Lefty
Old 02-12-2002, 03:36 PM

Too general. I'm thinkin "Flats Footwear".

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.