Will this work for foam body material? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2002, 08:53 PM
_

Will this work for foam body material?

Here's another dollar store item: Tessel Tiles. These are colored pieces of high density foam approximately 4mm (5/32") thick. Here's an actual size image showing the different shapes. I havent tried to work with foam yet, but I wondered if this stuff might work. If you needed a thicker piece or wanted to use more than one color you could probably glue several pieces together and then cut it to the proper shape.

These are made by Fibre-Craft Materials Corp. They also make foam sheets in two different thicknesses and a multitude of shaped pieces in varying colors and thicknesses. Maybe a good source for materials.

I think I'll be scouting out the dollar stores more often!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2002, 09:38 PM

The foam sheets look like they would do a good job on gurglers.

Gregg
Old 02-06-2002, 10:06 PM

If they have the thicker foam get a couple of sheets of it. You can use the thicker foam to make Block Heads which is a popper with a rectangular rather than round body. I'll bring a couple to work & take pictures of them tomorrow. The hair ponio fly looks interesting.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:27 AM

The Block head fly is shown below. The block is cut out of a thick sheet of foam. This one is sized for Largemouth bass.

Despite trying several different glues, I've never found a fool proof way to glue foam sheet's together. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by John Desjardins; 02-07-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:58 AM
_

Wow, thanks John. Looks pretty easy to make. I too was wondering how well the foam would stay glued together. The stuff is intended to be glued together and onto to other objects, but I'm not sure that they had this in mind! Perhaps if you roughened the adjoining surfaces they would stick together better? Or maybe use the kind of glue they use for shoe soles? I haven't played with foam yet. Should be interesting.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:08 AM

I've used the green label zap-a-gap with success and have recently gone over to marine goop. Make sure you wind a good base of thread onto the entire hook shank so you are not just gluing to metal. Some sort of clamp is required when using the goop unless you were very, very patient. I use a simple squeeze clamp.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:13 PM

Jim thanks for the tips. I've tried regular goop thinned with toluene, in a fume hood at work, to laminate sheets in the past and had iffy results. The glue seemed to soak into the foam and not have a good bond strength. I'll try it again with the full strength stuff.

I do use zap a gap with a thread base for holding the bodies on the hook. So far it's held up good for that purpose.

Quentin, look in the aisle with sheets of felt, & leather in a Michaels for finding foam sheets.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:21 PM

Q,

I get my foam sheets at Jo-Anne's Fabric store. It's .$50 for an 8X11" sheet; fly shops sell half a sheet for $1.00. However, white, the color I use most, is often sold out at the fabric store.
When I tie a crease fly, I run a fine bead of epxoy down the bottom (where I glued the two ends together) This really makes it bullet proof & since epoxy is heavier than water, running a bead of epoxy down that bottom "Keel" helps it ride better!

Jo-Annes also has adhesive back mylar sheets that are good for crease flies, popper heads & gill plates. They also sell this "Ultra Fine" Glitter it can be mixed with epoxy or sprinkled onto hard head! I also use their "Tiger Tail" Jewlrey wire to make shock Tippets, it's really cheap! They also sell frabric paint thats water proof & permanent; it's chaper than EZ-Body, but it dries very slow!

Also, if you notice the silver (or pearl) braid that I use to wrap the hook shanks on my epoxy flies & decievers; I get this in the Crafts Department at Walmart!

That's most of my "El-CheapO" secrets!
Old 02-07-2002, 04:57 PM
_

I found the thin (2mm thick) Fibre Craft brand foam sheets at Ames. They were $0.99 each for a 12"x18" sheet. They had lots of white. They also had a brownish-olive color, which was just called "brown" on the package, along with a few other "more colorful" colors.
Q

p.s. There is a Jo-Ann Fabrics just up the road from me. I'll definitely check them out.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-07-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sheets are used for crease flies, look in the striper archive for Bob Pink's amazing creations.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:47 PM

Just one point about foams. They are not all created equal. I'd check first to see if the foam is an open cell (like a sponge) or closed cell. If it's open cell you'll find it difficult to use in any large amount on a fly because it will soak up water and be a bear to cast.
A quick way to test is to take piece and try to blow through it, If air passes through it's an open cell, put it down and walk slowly away..........

grego, I like that idea of the epoxy keel on the crease fly. will make up a couple that way to test. Saw an interesting discussion about crease flies on the web recently where Joe Blados was quoted that the crease fly was never intended to be fished like a popper. The implication was that it was more effective when fished with a kind of neutral boyancy just under the surface. And thanks for the info about the mylar at JoAnne. I've never seen it there but will look closer next visit.

Last edited by Bob Pink; 02-07-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:35 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pink
Just one point about foams. They are not all created equal. I'd check first to see if the foam is an open cell (like a sponge) or closed cell. If it's open cell you'll find it difficult to use in any large amount on a fly because it will soak up water and be a bear to cast.
A quick way to test is to take piece and try to blow through it, If air passes through it's an open cell, put it down and walk slowly away..........
I just checked -- my cheeks hurt. The Fibre Craft stuff is definitely closed cell. Thanks for the tip.

Q
Old 02-08-2002, 06:11 AM

Thumbs up

I found a pearl glow in the dark adhesive mylar sheet in the craft section of our local general store which will be interesting to try . Let you know how it works out. They also have colored glue gun sticks which one could make
salmon egg flies to fool hatchery trout. FishHawk
Old 02-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Fluff

I'm gonna throw in here on closed cell foam and cement -

What about good old Pliobond??? works on almost everything else. And, I think I'd try Goop on closed cell foam regardless - if it works on sneakers and so forth, why not?
Old 02-08-2002, 01:38 PM

dave,
The reason that the Zap-type adhesives are good for the crease flies is because you need that quick setup when trying to get the faom to bond simultaneously along the bottom seam and the hook shank. If there was a way to rig a clamp to hold it in place for goop (or its equivilant) to set up then they would probably be superior because of their added bulk and more flexible bond.
Something that just came to me would be to possibly try a contact cement.....? will experiment later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.