Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hook Sharpener

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Surfing around the web tonight I found this hook sharpener. Does anyone know anything about it?

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I was thinking of it as an accessory for the tying bench, or those nights when you clean out the fly boxes. For on the water repairs I typically carry a small diamond coated pen for Freshwater & a 220 grit stone for salt water. Juro, I'll look at your sharpener for on the water use.

#5 ·
The suggestion is apreciated John; I am sure it is a very effective device.

Per sharpening at the vise: I use TMC, Daichi, Gami, or other chemically sharpened hooks so they never require initial sharpening. Costs a lot more, but the I can't stand the quality control problems of other brands. The cross-sectional profile of the wire is odd, the eyes aren't closed well, the barbs are gigantic (and I remove them all) and the points are dull.

I'll tie on anything for bluefish flies, but for stripers, steelhead, bonefish, salmon, trout, etc. I am primarily a Tiemco man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.