Barometer Watches - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2002, 07:12 AM

Barometer Watches

Wondering if any one uses barometer watches for fishing and how they apply it when fishing?

I can see it for use by a professional guide who is on the river 200 days per year but for an occassional angler like us, who are on the river for a day or two at a time, not sure if it is useful.

We are subject to the specific conditions of that day and not sure how useful it would be.

Most of are not in the position where based on a change in the pressure we can drop everything and hit the river within 20 minutes, well maybe Fred can but not most of us.

Fred do you have one of these?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commer...09&prmenbr=226

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 01-31-2002 at 07:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2002, 07:34 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...If you are involved in coastal fishing...I think you would be better off looking into "TIDE/LUNAR" watches...Last year I got a solar powered Casio that stores 10 locations. Sun/moon rise/set times. All sorts of useful info AND IT EVEN TELLS ME THE TIME!
Old 01-31-2002, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what BP indicates about fishing potential but if it gives some indication as to what tactics might be successful then I can see it being useful. Otherwise I'm with you in that when you have a chance to go fishing you go despite lacking ideal conditions.

Gregg
Old 01-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Flats Rat

For those folks who like keep detailed fishing logs, adding BP data along with Air/Water temps, Moon & Tide conditions would make sense since barometric pressure definitely affects fish behavior.

There are lots of old-timers quotes about great fishing just before/after major storms and we've all experienced days when everything appears perfect and yet the fish don't show up as expected.

As Gregg rightly points out though, we still go fishing anyway
Old 01-31-2002, 12:38 PM

Yes I agree, what ever the various environmental variables are on the days we can go fishing such as, temperature (water and air) barometric pressure, sun, moon phase ,river flow, water clariety, wind, ,tides, sun, rain, etc.., they are outside our control and we must adapt to the situation.

Forget the barometric watch and the digital web cams and maps (had to bring that up again!) . I use water and air temp and then my 40 years of fly fishing experience to adapt my fishing strategy to the other environmental variables of that day.

For the salt water fisherman though I can see the tide information as critical based on my limited salt water fishing days back in NJ.

If I was close to a steelhead or trout river it may be useful to decide to go fishing or not upon major changes in the pressure, but when I am actually fishing whatever happens with the BP I have no control over.

Have had good steelhead, trout, and lake fishing AFTER a storm system has moved through though. Not sure if it is due to BP change or the new water that is put into the water to change temperature and water flow rates etc...

Don't think about these technical variables, just go fishing when ever you can is the best policy probably. Keep it simple don't worry all of these non controllable factors, just relax and forget about the rest of your troubles and focus on fishing.

My .02 cents

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 01-31-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:19 PM

Barometric pressure

Isn't it the change in bp that affects the fishing - i.e shuts off or turns on before or after a change? I don't think the watch will give the information that is needed since it will likely just tell you what the pressure is or is maybe what the it is doing. The weatherman may be the best bet to see what is coming our way.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:25 PM

Hal: Do I carry/use one of these watches: No ..

for several reasons. One, they're expensive as heck. Two BP is altitude dependent. So as you change (up or down) your 'altitude' the watch will give you an indication but not an accurate one. On salt water, heck, your 'altitude' is zero so that parts easy.

If I'm in the mood, I'll just pull up a weather site on the internet and it will give me a reasonable indication of what's going on. Usually the tv forcasts here will expand on the info (BP going up or down) due to expected weather changes. But all in all, regardless of the info, I'm going fishing anyway ..... tornado's are not a problem in Southern Oregon.

And if 'they' are predicting lightning storms it's not too cool to be out there on the river swinging a 15 or 18 foot lightning rod .... especially if you're standing knee deep in water. Rick Jorgensen and I had to hold off on a trip (actually getting on the water in his jet boat) in October. Looked like the Medford area was under artillery attack. 120 some lightning stikes in about an hour. Sat in his truck and drank coffee for awhile. Rest of the day was bright sunshine and sun glasses.

Once we got on the water it didn't take the guy 30 minutes to beach two beautiful fish ..... I got skunked for the day. So much for being the 'Indian Guide' whose going to show 'the client' how it's done. Actually, Rick is a professional guide (besides normal job) so he's good .... very, very good. Do NOT bet money with this guy on 1st and biggest fish.

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-31-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Thats what I thought

You see right after that storm and BP change the steelies were turned on.

Thats how I caught my first one 20 years ago on the PM right after a huge March thunderstorm, a cherished Michigan memory.

10 lb wild hen. They are all wild in the PM. God I love that river and so does every one else that becomes exposed to it.

Gotta go steelie fishing soon :hehe: :hehe:

17 inches of snow in Chicago today, first big storm of the year, only a one incher previously Great lakes region needs more, the lakes are their lowest levels in the last 37 years.

Later
Old 01-31-2002, 09:15 PM

Hal, better you guys than me ....

Only two times can I remember (short of the Coast Guard) where rope's between two places were in order. One was on the deck of the Aircraft Carrier Yorktown (joint training mission) and just
off the waterfront in 'your home town' on Lake Mich. God, blow, cold, etc., I'll stay in Medford; we have County Ord. against that sort of stuff.
Life is good.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:13 AM

Fred,

You never told me you are a US Navy veteran ? Yorktown in Lake Michigan, guess that was before they stocked it with pacific salmon in the 60s. But the steelhead were in it then, since the 1880s

USAF veteran myself, bet you did not get in much fishing in your tour either I was 1966 to 1970, you know "The Nam" era. Myself got to participate in the Cold War in Iceland Fighter Interceptor squadron as an avionics technician. See URL below. Saw some of the atlantic salmon rivers up there, god I wish I had the equipement and time to have fished them. They were really good in the 1960s, almost virgin water. After iceland, then off to Dover AFB, Delaware and Military Airlift Command, large squadrons of cargo plans in which we supported Vietnam and all other world wide military operations. Some interesting temporary duties I went on from their on special missions,never any time for fly fishing though. Supported many missions to NAM but the big one was The Tet offensive. I was on alert as a key support person, they pulled me out of bed at 1 in the morning and did not tell us where we were going until we were in the air, TOP SECRET mission etc..

Well it was a massive airlift round the clock to support Tet shipping Cobra Gun Ships and millions of tons of ordinance into NAM as fast as we could. Never worked so hard in my life with all kinds of pressure. Yes went into Nam for 3 days during Tet, to fix a broken C-141. Never forget that night descent in, scary.

Many other interesting special mission types out of Dover actually more interesting than the fighter interceptor squadron in a way.

We can discuss over a malt some day after FF the Rogue.

http://www.keflavik.af.mil/85gp/index.htm
Old 02-01-2002, 07:37 PM

Hal, was in the "knee deep Navy" aka Coast Guard.

"Timing was right" for Nam but spent my time pulling in broken down boaters in Puget Sound - Straights of Juan De Fuca.

Was interesting at the end of basic training: All get asked what 'training' do/did you have before enlisting. Told the Chief that I already had my Coast Guard Pilots Lic issued by the 13th CG Dist. Like Ya Son! (Don't S... me Boy or you will redefine the word sorrow!!!!!!!!!). Not sure what went through his mind when they checked and found out I 'out ranked' him as soon as we stepped on board.

That took care of me seeing 'action,' which a lot of the Coasties did on 'Nam' off shore patrols. My "patrols" consisted of towing in broken down pleasure boaters, fishing in the Straights, a warm bed (very frequently at home) and some (I'd still pass on this one) going out when the weather stuffed it down your throat. Crash helmets, trapeese rigs to keep you "on board" and other very nasties.

(Only time I actually thought I'd lost the 40 footer was going through the "wake" .... read that hellish hole in the water ... left by an atomic sub. We had to drop 30 feet; like stepping into an empty elevator shaft. If it wasn't screwed down it came off. Two guys to hospital for injuries.)

Not much of that, but cross training with the life boat guys running out over the Columbia River Bar, etc., taught me these guys are truly NUTS!. Sweet J., the stuff they had to put up with even on a "calm day" is/was unbelieveable. These folks are grossly underpaid!

:eyecrazy:
Old 02-01-2002, 09:03 PM

Yeah I have seen films on that Columbia River Bar, that looks like awesome water to run.

Atomic submarine black hole dive must have been interesting, why were you so close to it ?

Sounds like you had good duty, and even got to fish !!

Yeah I remember those older career sergeants, I had my run ins with them. Since I went overseas right out of technical school to Iceland and was in a critical technical air force job (avionics) I made rank fast. Staff Sergent under 3 years which was unheard of then and only due to the war being on. A couple of the career sergents made it hard on me and a couple of other hot shots who made rank fast. They were jealous and they knew we were all getting out to finish college on the GI Bill.

Had some great experiences in the USAF though and would like to try and find some of the guys I lost contact with which werer from all over the US. Lots of Californias, from the Bay area mostly.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:16 PM

Hal, 23 and all. Who would have guessed that a sub didn't have a "wake," just a hole

in the water. Knew it would be 'big,' just never guessed it would be a 'hole.' Nukes are 90% under water even on the surface, but given the size of these mothers they ...... Lord! Don't go through one. It's like dropping down an elevator shaft in the water.

Are they fast; plotted this guy for several minutes; (remember this was the early '60's) had to be doing 30++ knots even on the surface. And that's where they're at the slowest 'through water' speed. Quite? Talked to a Canadian surface vessel officer a couple of weeks later in Seattle; they didn't even know "he" was there. Had to say "you're kidding??!!!" The Canuck's couldn't have been 25 miles behind him; pulling my leg? Who knows?

Orig. "stealth" teck?"
Old 02-01-2002, 10:36 PM
President of CAC

Well.. I sometimes use a walky talky when out with the other guys and my motorola has official weather reports with a guy with a type of swedish accent (computer).
Old 02-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great reading these stories and hats off to all who gave their time to guard our shores and skies.

In the early 80's I had over 100 systems in Bremerton and Bangor to keep an eye on as a young system consultant to PSNS / US Navy and have done computer work on Aegis class ships (Arleigh Burke, BIW Maine) and nuke subs (SeaWolf, Groton CT) as well. This was always in the computer labs (kinda feel like a wimp!) but no pocket protector and I always had a rod in the truck.

Fred I've had some horrifying days on the straits coming back from Swiftshure on a small boat, not quite Perfect Storm but getting up there for sure. Had some awakenings on the bar out of Grays Harbor as well, but never ran a boat on "the bar".

John - very funny re: the synthesized voice... off Vancouver we used to tune in to a live person broadcasting the weather and boy could she talk and talk and talk... probably married to a happy man, by the time she got home from work she didn't need to talk his ear off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.