New Nasty bug out there ... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 12:07 PM

New Nasty bug out there ...

New 'W32.Myparty@mm' virus discovered - download the latest definition file

A new worm/virus called "W32.Myparty@mm" is being circulated via e-mail. The worm arrives with the subject, "new photos from my party!" and the body, "Hello! My party...It was absolutely amazing! I have attached my web page with new photos! If you can please make color prints of my photos. Thanks!" The attachment name is "www.myparty.yahoo.com." The worm e-mails everyone in the Windows address book and in Outlook Express in-boxes and folders. The worm sends a message to the author allowing him to track the worm, and the worm may launch the Web browser to the Walt Disney Web site if the file name is "access" with any extension. To prevent infection of your system, download the latest version of the Norton AntiVirus definition file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 04:38 PM

Wow! It didn't

take two hours before the banks servers plucked this turkey out of an incoming e mail to me!!
:eyecrazy:
Old 01-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For those who have not been getting timely email replies from me... I think this is one of the critters that has my virus protection program locking up or deleting my inbox. I guess I should be thankful, I have not been infected as a result of this precaution. Thanks for being patient and please resend anything I haven't replied to without hesitation.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:19 PM

Fred's Law: If the e mail

has any kind of attachment (other than .jpg photos) I'll always reconfirm with the sender they 'knew' the e mail went out. Most of these bugs 'do their own thing' so the sender doesn't even know he/she's got a fox in the henhouse.

Rule # 2. If in doubt, go back and re-review rule number 1.

Recommendation #1. If I don't know the person who sent me the e mail it's frequently not even opened. Most of it's spam anyway. Howmany dorm cam's do you really want to 'explore?'

(Hint: put your name in the 'subject' column so folks know were it's coming from before opening it up. Lots of e mail address' now are so conviluted who can guess. With mine/Joan's we've been with AOL so many years we can use our 'real names.')
Old 01-30-2002, 02:47 PM

Fred, You mention the spam issue. I'm just wondering what others do about it.

My rules for spam are:
1. Never open a spam message.
2. Block all senders of spam messages at the server.
3. Never, ever, respond to a spamer.
4. Delete all spam, or suspected spam messages asap.

The %&* things keep coming in, though. Anyone got any suggestions. I worry about the little ones, they don't need to know about dorm cams, excite cream, etc.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Flats Rat

John, spam has become a real pain in the A**.

The problem is that the tools to create this stuff seem to be more readilly available than the tools to surpress it at the originating server and its a megabucks industry.

Legislation isn't going to do much good since the technology can be anywhere on the planet or beyond.

Most of the tools I've seen are based on the concept of trusted sender lists which is a problem given all the folks who only communicate occaisionally.

Maybe someone will come up with a "reverse worm" that can track down the common denominator behind the originating email addresses and effectively jam up their payment processors .

Its too many years since I cut any code but for any hackers who may be lurking out there, drop me an email (without attachments of course). It's an interesting investment opportunity
Old 01-30-2002, 05:23 PM

Well some service providers will allow you

to input only 'certain' e mail address' from which they will allow e mail to pass into you. Think AOL does this, thought about using it but then I'd miss the "excite cream" or "see Britney ..." well we all have had about 6 shots per week on this puppy. Gad, don't these nitwits ever get tired or are they just trying to ware us down?

Only problem with the e mail block is if someone you want to communicate with sends you an e mail you won't get it unless they call ahead and have you add them to your list. Kinda screws up the idea of sending a e mail at that point.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:18 PM
President of CAC

Had two of those on my office e-mail today and immediatly deleted them.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:02 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Re: Fred's Law: If the e mail

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans
Howmany dorm cam's do you really want to 'explore?'
But I thought you were motto was "When Joan is away, Fred will play!" and that it meant more then just fishing everyday.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:01 AM

Ryan: Fred's schedule when Joan's away.

Fish from Dawn to Dusk, Dorm Cam from Dusk to Dawn .... did I say that right?

Problem with a guy my age, it's like the old dog chasing a car story. "What the heck would you do with it if you caught it?"
:eyecrazy:
Old 01-31-2002, 09:05 AM

Adrian, that sounds interesting. H'mm how to keep it legal? (or at least not get caught ).

Fred, my thinking is that I only want to block out the offensive stuff. I agree that blocking everyone but those on my list just wouldn't work.

Ryan, I don't know what to say?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.