Fly Fishing Forum banner

We're invited to the MSBA show

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Hawkeye 
#1 ·
At the Marlboro show I had the pleasure to meet and chat with the MSBA President Patrick Paquette. After watching us in action and learning a little bit about who we are he invited us to accept a booth at the Mass. Striped Bass Association Annual Sportfishing Expo.

Below are the details and I'm asking if there is interest out there to make a quality go of it.

Where: Plymouth, Cordage Park
When: March 23rd and 24th, 9:30 - 6 and 9 - 5 respectively
Cost: The booth is free for organizations like ours. It will be 8X10 and if our booth doesn't fit they will make accomodations. Complimentary coffee and donuts for vendors as well as hot and cold lunches. Prices to the public are $7 for adults and $3 for kids under 12.

Tony Stetsko is the featured speaker. The seminars don't appear to have much if any flyfishing content but the schedule for presenters is not complete yet.

#2 ·
I attended last year w/ my dad. Save for Old Salt Outfitters, there was little flyfishing content, but it was a fun show nonetheless. Dad picked up some sluggo bodies & we did some browsing.

If I'm home that weekend, I'd be glad to pitch in some time at the booth as I'm only a few miles from Cordage Park.

Tod

#4 ·
...ORF...<*>/////><...

...By that time I'll be a card carrying, fully sanctioned, officially recognized ORF (Old Retired Fart) and could probably squeeeeze "booth duty" into my "busy" schedule....
...Will they be serving fresh dead bait?!

#5 ·
Looks good for me unless I am out west on my annual pilgrimage to chromer heaven then. I gave a presentation at MSBA last year and the flyfishing topic was very well received. MSBA is a very well established organization and a great bunch of guys, it will be a blast to help out MSBA and represent the flyfishing aspect of striper fishing at this event.

Looking forward to it!

#6 ·
If there's enough interest I would love to come up and participate on one of the days.

It sounds like they could do with some Fly Fishing content so we would be pioneering but, heck, when did that ever stop this forum!:smokin:

#12 ·
Mark - thats a great idea! I would be happy to pick up en-route and it would be great to have company en-route.

Brian - no angst here since I'm off the the Bahamas two weeks later:D

#14 ·
Greg,

You know I'll do whatever you need to help out. I do have to tread cautiously as my wife is concerned about my promise to complete a few projects around the homestead.

She thinks giving me 6 months freedom to fly fish as much as I want as being generous!! :hehe:

We need to plan on getting our hands on the booth as Juro may be warming up for our Spring season in the Pacific Northwest.

#17 ·
OK, so here's what we've got for volunteers.

Hawkeye - Gregg at least one day
Penguin - Pete if his ORF schedule permits :hehe:
Tod D - if home that weekend
Juro - if not out west
Adrian and Dble Haul - Mark, representing Connecticut for one day
Roop - household projects permitting;)

If we can firm these up then I'm thinkin we could do a good job at the show.

My thoughts for presentation are:

Slide show
Flyers with our info
4 to 6 "classes" a day alternating between a participatory fly tying demonstration, a talk on the basics of flyfishing (tools of the trade, casting physics, types of "flies"), and a participatory casting demonstration if we can find room for it. I would feel comfortable doing the "basics" talk but I should steer clear of the other two as I have too many bad habits in those areas.

#19 ·
Welll with Adrian, Mark and myself that makes 4 firm and 5 if Pete was being sarcastic. I'll start an e-mail discussion with you guys to toss around ideas/scheduling etc. Let's set a deadline of this Friday to make a final decision about doing the show and send in the paperwork.

#20 ·
Gregg -

Thanks for taking the lead on this, as it stands today I'll be here then and am totally psyched! I will make sure I give at least one month of notice either way. I should know by Friday what my plans are for the native steelhead mecca clave.

It should be a great time! The facility looks awesome, never been there before but it sure sounds impressive. I hope there is a long tall empty hallway somewhere we can use! :D

Of course we could just go outside to give casting intros, that was the only way to do it at the flyshop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.