Two 2 handers seldom mentioned... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2001, 11:42 PM
Mr. Mom

Two 2 handers seldom mentioned...

Two that I really like, but don't own because... Well, I've got a 7 wt (sage 7136-4 brownie), two 9 wts (sage 9140-4 brownie, and sage 9126-3 aka the Chum-Spankin' Stick!), and a 10 wt (scott 1510-4 howitzer!) are the Redington DFRs and the Thomas and Thomas. Both are on the fast end of the scale, and besides being absolutely Fugly, the Redington DFRs my be my favorites. Frankly I would trade all but the 12.5 foot sages, but I'm tired and lazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2001, 11:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
there are tons of rods worth mentioning

the hardy 12 1/2ft 9 weight is a great stick
also i cast a 13 foot diawa wiskerfly last spring and i loved that rod.

also for the price the lamiglas maxwell spey rods are good
Old 10-30-2001, 08:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Of course they don't qualify as seldom mentioned but the Dec Hogan FlyLogic rods have piqued my interest. I watched Tyler booming out crazy casts on the T with one last fall.

Spoke with some anglers from Scotland who swear by the Daiwas. They sent me a video of salmon fishing with Spey rods but my VCR can't play the format for some reason. (BTW - anyone know how I can view these tapes?)

Never heard of a bamboo Spey rod, although Smitty of the Rod Builder's Workshop pointed out some old European wooden twohanders in a book. Of particular interest was the handle configuration of one of the overhand rods. We adopted it into the handle of a prototype 2-hander for saltwater flyfishing in big surf.

I wonder if the old s-glass would make a nice Spey rod... maybe a little soft but I'm sure the material could be made with high enough modulus to perform the cast and what a sweet motion it would offer for DT floaters maybe...
Old 10-30-2001, 10:03 PM

Ah yes, "we're a small but mighty group." Probably has to do with the average cost of a good Spey rod. But we do three casts/drifts to each single hander. Think this may be why we hook 'more' fish? As an old friend used to say: "you can't catch fish if you're hook isn't in the water." Lee was right and that's (and some obvious things) is the major wonder of spey rods. You're fishing more, casting less.

There are some very good monderate price rods out there (good reels are God forsaken in price to handle a 10/11 RIO tri-tip's, etc.) but you can pay up and up. Hardy's big gun is about $1500 US, St. Croix is $275 so you've got a real range. But figure you'll still drop between $500-$800 for one of the better brands of rods. Just a choice from there as to 'traditional actions' vs. Euro Actions. The first is far easier to cast, the second will throw tips and heavy flys just beyond tomorrow. Flow or Rocket? Probably why I'm getting my 7th spey rod in a couple of days.

Different fishing conditions; a huge chuck to get to the holding water; how heavy a tip/fly(s) are you throwing. Expensive (and I do love my wife) but beats blowing 5 grand on a trip to Europe.

If you're a spey caster, or what to join a major 'on line' group then International Spey Casting on msn.ca (Canada) is your place of choice. Almost 300 folk world-wide (and I do mean from all around the world) regularly contribute to the Board.

fe
Old 10-30-2001, 10:40 PM
Mr. Mom

Fred my man, you ain't kidding about reels! If I use my 10/11 accelerator, I can either use a pate tarpon with Maybe 100 yards of 35lb Gelspun, or a monstrously huge Abel 4.5N (standard spool version of what the young fellas know as the super 12 in large arbor stylie) that I used to use on Yellowfin Tuna before I became Mister Mom and figured out that meant I don't get vacations anymore! And that's with 30 to 50 feet of the running line cut off!!!!! The Pate reels are a real bargain in the high end market, but they still ain't cheap, and I feel like a "reel" poser swinging the Abel around on a river... There is no good solution...
Old 10-30-2001, 11:38 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
A Ross Canyon would be another choice and they arent as expensive as the Abels and the Tibors and in my opinions they are of similiar quality. Including, an EXCELLENT warranty.

The Canyon 8 will hold 450 yds of 30# backing when loaded with a #14 line. And if that is too big they make a size smaller that will fill with 325 yds of #30 backing when filled with a #12 line. The smaller one is around $450 and the larger version is just a tad over $500.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

Did you pick up the Hardy? Nice find on the 9140 BTW.

Juro
Old 10-30-2001, 11:53 PM
Mod

Juro-
I was so happy to find that 9140-4 Brownie blank. I was almost postive we didnt have any but Sunday I went digging around and uncovered one, Hell I think there might be another somewhere in that shop.

I picked that Hardy up in a hartbeat!! It was too good of a price...
Old 10-31-2001, 01:04 AM
Mr. Mom

[quote]NrthFrk16 (10-30-2001 11:38 p.m.):

The Canyon 8 will hold 450 yds of 30# backing when loaded with a #14 line.

Howdy NorthFork. The Abel 4.5N is supposed to hold 600 yds with the same line :-) Big game lines (13 to 16 wt.) are generally short (27 to 35 feet) heavy bellies and then 50 to 70 feet of running line. Casting a 14 wt. rod is a special treat you have to experience "in the field" to truly appreciate! Out of the box the rios are 54, 65, or 100 feet of belly "two sizes heavier than the nominal listing", and then a silly amount of skinny running line! The biggest favor rio could do for the angling public is to provide a list of big game reels and a legitimate approximation of how much backing you can squeeze in with the line out of the box, with 30 feet cut off, and with 50 feet cut off. I've loaded too many hundreds of reels, and the phrase "Your Backing may vary" is more true with some companies than others. I dare anyone to get 300 yds of 30 pound with a 12 wt. line on a Pate Tarpon! Still my favorite reel in the world though... Especially with the solid spool... Mmmmmm... Solid spool... Aaaaaahhh!
Old 10-31-2001, 07:37 AM

Your right about having to cut some of the running line off, or going to a fairly short shot of backing to get the larger size RIO's on to a lot of reels. The RIO spey lines are a minimum of 120 feet long (vs. 90 for a 'standard' line) out to 150 foot in total length.
Not sure why over 120 foot as you'd have to have the timing of an Olympian, the rod lenth of a tree, and the arm strengh of a weight lifter to get that much 10-12 wt grains airborne. There are folks (one's nick name is "long cast Steve" who can do this cast after beautiful cast. For most of us the cast really have 70 to 90 foot airborne (dry lines) plus 12 to 17 feet of leader. So the 120 feet of main line I understand, but 150 foot?

On with the rant: Another thing I think we get fiddled with is the amount of backing we're advised to have on a reel. In salt applications, wide slow moving waters, you're in a boat and can chase the bloody thing. So lots of backing could come into play.

In normal river fishing condtions, if Mr Fish has out 120 foot of fly line, plus leader, plus only 30 yards of backing that fellow is over 200 foot away, new gets another 30 yards .... and still moving .... and well on his way to spooling you. Math says he's at least a full football field away and "still going and going, and going..." Probably why I only use 20# backing and never over 12-15 # main line tippet(Max. Ultra Clear, like who doesn't?) for leader material. At least this way I'm not putting a $70 to $120 fly line 'on the line' when I hook a salmon.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:13 AM

Fred,
The "standard" long rod DT's are usually about 120'. Rio's line lengths vary greatly and Mid spey's from 110'-140', accls from 120 - 150' and WC 110-135.
These all vary with line weights. The assumption by the line manufactures is that the lighter weight rods will be shorter therefore the caster will not be able to easily
lift as much line. I just replaced the backing on a Hardy Marquis Salmon for a trip. I got a "custom" line consisting of 28' front taper from a TT, 15' from a SA
Salmon spey DT 10', and 45' from a SA Salmon Spey DT 11, I got 250yrd of 30# with no problem.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:40 PM
Mod

Fred-
I felt the same as you do as I my reels are all loaded with about 100-125 yds of backing. But after hearing stories of Thompson steelies and reel empyting runs, if I ever make it up to the Thompson, 125 yds just is not enough.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:36 PM

Ryan, as in most things there are very much 'exceptions to the rule.' The Thompson, Skagit/Saul are two that come quickly to mind. Fish run very large, and you run very fast. How are you at 'rock hopping?' You'll find out on the Thompson.

This is the main stick that many of the rivers of fame and fortune flow into so ....... worth the trip.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:42 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
First off. Juro. I know exactly the problem youu're haviing with video tapes. I brought baack some videos I haad from being an exchange student in Germany many years ago. Since they usse a different power system you'll need to have it transfered into our systems. Go to a local camera shop or electronics store and they can either do it for you or tell you who can fixx the video to plaay on our formats.

I'm very new to the two hander game. Didn't care much for the Loomis I had, but love he St Croix I bought hand in hand with the Loomis. Looking once Ii master the speycast in buying aa 13' 7/8 wt for summerruns.

I have a variety of reels. Have an older Martin 12D saltwater reel with floating drag tha's tremendous. Have a ton of older pfluegers on my old Fenwicks (still have my old antique gear from when i first started yeears ago), a nice older Daiwa fly reel, some sth's, and soome SA system 2's. Most of my reels have abouut 150-200 yards of backing. Hhaave never been spooled, but haave been close. It is funny how far oof liine capacities vary. Wouldn't it be nice if they went universal????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.