There's still time ... SW fly swap - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 04:56 PM

There's still time ... SW fly swap

We've got a good showing in the saltwater flyswap but there is still plenty of "room" and time for more. The deadline is March 1st so that leaves you a month.

My apologies to those waiting for mailing info. It will go out tonight around 10ish.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 07:03 PM

Put me down for a herring pattern.

Not promising anything special compared to the creations our friends seem to be cranking out!!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:51 PM

Hawkeye
Striblue
Doogue
Sean
Nick
BirdFish
Eddie
Dble Haul
Jim W
SaltyDog
Juro
Tod D
French Creek
Adrian
D Fix
Shadfreak
GregD
BCasey
GregO
Broache
Roop

If your name is on the list above you are in the SW fly swap and should be getting a mailing info e-mail from me in the next few minutes. The pics and recipes for the flys from this swap will add quite a bit to our fly board.

If you don't get an e-mail it is because your address is not in your profile and I don't have it from other correspondence. Just send me an e-mail and we'll be all set.

Gregg

Last edited by Hawkeye; 01-30-2002 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:36 AM

Question Fly swap

Hawkeye,
Thanks for the e-mail. How many flies are we each tying? Do I have to announce the fly I am tying? If so, it will be a white snake fly. Thanks.
Dave Williams
Old 01-30-2002, 09:28 AM

Yeah, what dave said. Are we doing Six or one for each person in the swap? Twenty-Two is a lot!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Most swaps I've meistered or participated in were based on a finite number randomized so everyone gets as many as they put in but not necessarily one from each participant. In other words, many people participate but only send 6 flies or 12 flies each. Some I've participated in allowed people to double up to get as many back as they put in, so in a standard 6 fly swap people who send 12 get 12, etc. The point is it doesn't matter how many people, you get as many as you put into it.

My favorite randomization method is to put all the flies out on a table and have my kids pick flies. This way the selection process has nothing to do with angler's logic. My daugther chooses because she likes the color or it's pretty, etc.

The most important part is to get the images into the archive so that the tyer can explain in his/her own words how to tie the pattern. Others can ask questions and also look it up later on when the snow melts. That way even if you don't get the fly itself you still get the benefit of learning about it thru the swap.

Looking forward to it!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Fluff

Where this was a pigpile list, I suppose we ought to tie one for one -

hawkeye, obviously, this answers my email question :eyecrazy:
Old 01-30-2002, 11:06 AM
_

Hmmm . . .

I suppose "sluggo flies" don't really go along with the spirit of the fly swap , and the only other flies I know how to tie are better suited for catching trout and bluegill. Maybe by next year I will have become competent enough at tying saltwater flies that I will be able to participate in a swap or two.

In any event, I am looking forward to seeing the fly photos and recipes. I think someone mentioned in a previous post that it would be nice if the recipes included information about when, where and how to fish the flies. I would like to second that request! It is also nice to see details about the order, position and style in which the materials are tied. I'm planning (hoping may be a better word) to learn to tie some of the flies posted in the archive and I will need all the help I can get! :hehe:

Q
Old 01-30-2002, 12:15 PM

My plan was for each participant to tie up to six flies and recieve the same number in return. Send 2 in get 2 back, send 6 in get 6 back. You don't have to announce what you will be tying and you don't even have to tie the same fly though that will make the photography task easier to manage.

Gregg
Old 02-06-2002, 07:03 AM

got room for one more?

I've got time & energy. and since it's a one-for-one exchange I can make the deadline (meaning I don't have to tie 22 of the same freaking flies!)

If not, no biggie - they'll be other swaps.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Fluff

Grasshopper, you might as well jump in - maybe you could back me up on what I don't have done:eyecrazy: I have your material for tomorrow night
Old 02-06-2002, 11:46 AM

Well, February is going to be a long month. I started early & already had my six (plus a few extras) tied up. But now that I understand the system, I've been chugging out a few ever couple of days while watching TV. The way I look at it is you tie up N all the same & you get back N all different; a great way to get some variety in your fly box. I'll probably be sending in 12-15!
Old 02-06-2002, 02:09 PM

Sprocket,

Of course you are welcome!

Grego,

Shouldn't be a problem but I'll warn those that send in flies above the six suggested that if the numbers don't work out for some reason you may get some of your own flies back.

Gregg
Old 02-06-2002, 09:33 PM
President of CAC

Gregg... mine will come in near the dead line.. I still have to do some for the Cape Cod CCA and for the Burlington CCA Banquet. I am now on my 51st bonefish fly from Browns book.. 99 to go.:eyecrazy:
Old 02-07-2002, 01:55 PM

Hawk: please email me the mailing address for the flies & I'll send 'em out.

Striblue: bring some samples to UFT, love to see them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.