Fly Fishing Forum banner

A follow up

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MJC 
#1 ·
to a post several months ago about the poacher caught on the Skagit poaching kings. As far as I can find out he was fined $100.00 and had his boat confiscated. I heard but, cannot confirm the poacher purchased his boat back.

The feds did nothing.

Sad.

#3 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed how high-tech WA licensing has gotten lately. I think the system can handle more sophisticated controls, like the DMV. In addition to the fines, I'd like to see convicted poachers lose their right to use the resource, "lose their license" so to speak. Revocation for 3 years, 5 years, lifetime - depending on the offense.

#4 ·
Eugene,

I took your advice and informed the reporter of Skagit County's local paper what I heard. Here is the link to that paper's article on this topic.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=archivedetails&pnpid=575&om=1&ArchiveID=340491

#7 ·
This is not about fishing but is about poaching. I read this recently in The Idaho Statesman paper of Boise, ID. In my opinion the judge mentioned below should have a pat on the back for these sentences.

Men get jail time, fines for poaching: POWELL, Wyo. -
Two men convicted of poaching two trophy bighorn rams have been fined and sentenced to a year in jail
and probation. Gary Vorhies, 39, and Cody Cannady, 33, both of Greybu11, Wyo., were convicted in June on
two counts each of wanton destruction of wildlife and two counts each of hunting without a license. They shot the
rams along the North Fork River on Dec. 24. Besides the year in jail for hunting without a license, Circuit Judge
Bruce Waters sentenced Vorhies to a year of electronic monitoring for the second charge of hunting without a license,
fined him $10,000 and slapped him with $15,000 in restitution. for each ram killed. His hunting, fishing and trapping privileges were revoked for 50 years.
For the wanton destruction, Vorhies was placed on two years probation and fined $1,000 on each count.
Cannady was sentenced to a year in jail with weekday work release. His fine was $10,000 for illegal hunting plus $2,000 for wanton destruction of wildlife. He was ordered ,
to pay $15.000 restitution , for one of the rams, and his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges are suspended for 10 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.