9141-4 vs 9140-3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
9141-4 vs 9140-3

I was wondering if anyone has fished both and if there is a noticeable differance between the two.

The 9141-4 was the replacement for the 9140-3. I have heard that the 9140-3 is a total rocket and great for fishing big water and throwing big flies and heavy tips.

Are there any major differances between these two rods. Just curious as I've got a demo...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2002, 11:11 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Ryan,

I'll try to be diplomatic here, but my feelings are pretty definite. The 9140-4 is a noodle rod. I know a number of good rods who love it , but I simply never have. It was the first "cool" rod, but whenever I cast one I always wondered if the line was going to get off the water! It is just too soft for me.

On the other hand the 9140-3 IS a cannon! To be fair this rod is really a 10wt, but it handles heavy tips, long casts big flies - big fish. I've said so many times, it was my firet speyrod, but after owning 6 rods and having unlimited access to another dozen or so the 9140-3 is still one of my most used rods. 'Nuff said.

Still Living Large!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Mod

Tyler-
I was actually referring to the Euro Style 9141-4 and not the Traditional 9140-4. But that is okay because I enjoy listening to you rant about the 9140-4.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Okay... the 9140-3 is ... uh, cheaper than the 9141 ... yeah - that's my story and I'm sticking it with it!

Still Living Large!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:34 AM

Ryan,

I have an older, before 2001, 9140, and a 9141. The difference is night and day. The 9141 is much faster and more powerfull. I haven't used the 9140 since I bought the 9141 a year ago.
jimsand
Old 01-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Coednakedspey

Jim Sand, Are you sure you aren't referring to the Sage 9140-4, the 4 piece traditional action,not the 3 piece euro action?

I own the 9140-3 Euro action and I can say I really like this rod.
It is a very good Tip rod, and it works well as a big river floating line cannon (and even tip when needed) for bigger fish.

Having said that, I heard about the 9141-4 coming out as the sort of replacement for the 9140-3 (although I don't think they can replace the 9140-3, it's got it's own niche). I managed to cast the 9141-4 at casting school and I can say this.
That they are similar rods in that they will cast pretty much the same lines, but the 9141-4 is a bit more responsive thanks to it's graphite IIIe compared to the 9140-3 which has Graphite III.
The Main difference though, is that the 9141-4 seems to rely more on the stiffness of the graphite as opposed to the taper, to give it it's quickness. The 9140-3 relies a bit more on it's taper and is a bit more beefy in that respect. The 9141-4 I found slightly harder to time than the 9140-3, HOWEVER, when I did time it right, it threw VERY tight loops.

All in all, I don't think you will be dissastisfied if you pickup either of these rods, the 9141-4 and the old 9140-3 euro action, both being great rods for tips and big river cannons. The 9141-4 is a 4 piece which might give it the slight advantage, but the 9140-3, if you can find it, will most likely be cheaper because it is discontinued.

I will say this, I started with the 9140-3, and this rod is REALLY growing on me. If I ever had the choice, I would take the 9140-3 simply because I know the rod, and I like it. Also, if for some reason I ever lost the 9140-3, or it was stolen, or it was broken and Sage only would offer me the 9141-4 as a replacement instead of fixing the rod, I would be Quite choked.

Last edited by Scott K; 01-24-2002 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Mod

Thanks Scott!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.