Special mix for head cement - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2002, 06:43 PM

Red face Special mix for head cement

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but Bob Linquist and Capt. John Haag in tier's row were using a very different head cement.
The heads and coatings stayed pliable like Softex, but dried much clearer and faster too. Curing time was about an hour. Did any one happen to see this demonstration and remember the mixture by chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2002, 07:38 PM

Ray,
I'm not positive but I believe that what you are referring to is a 'mix that John has been 'blending for a couple of years that he calls " Devil's Sauce" Its a mix of Red Devil clear acrylic and some solvent. I bought a jar at the show this year and tried it on some synthetic materials. Has good adhesive properties but as you said, stays flexible.

I think he lists the solvent on the label, will check it out and let you know....

Last edited by Bob Pink; 01-22-2002 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:28 PM

That's it! Bob, " Devil's Sauce." You're on the right track. Let us know the pros/cons of its usage and how you like it.

If memory serves me correct, John Haag's number is 631 286-2148.

You da man! Bob. You keep your eyes open always for new ideas, materials, and techniques. Always honing your skills. The skills mester!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:47 AM

Ray,
The solvent that he mixes with the acrylic is xylene. Sorry I can't speak to it's source or properties but the net result is a thinner version of a softex type material. Still flexible, with better transluscence ( colors look brighter underneath ) and with good adhesive properties.

I first saw John use it 2 years ago where he had a technique that used a looped wire tool to push through the body of a fly ( synthetics ) to deliver some of the Devil's sauce to the inside of the body rather than just coating the outside. Very effective way to shape the forward section of the body without making it too stiff.

As with all of these solvent-based products, we should make sure we work in well ventilated areas and avoid flammable sources...
Old 01-22-2002, 06:27 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Guys,

In case you get your hands on some xylene I just want you to realize that it can be a dangerous chemical. Ingestion and prolonged skin contact or inhalation can cause some serious health problems. For a full description of the precautions that laboratories require when handling xylene please take a look at:

http://www.hess.com/about/msds/Xylene_1812_clr.pdf

I am not saying that you should not use xylene to make the Devil's Sauce. However, as Bob said, this is not the stuff that you should use in a place without adequate ventilation. You also really do not want to get it in your eye. I believe that Softex contains xylene but it is hard for Softex to splash into your eye. The same is not true when handling liquid xylene!

Personally, I thought that the advice on page 3 of the PDF document was wise: "After handling xylene, wash hands before smoking." This stuff is highly flammable. If you ever spill a jar of it you can be in big trouble because the vapors will travel far and wide to ignition sources within your house.

So, be safe.

-Mike

Last edited by doogue; 01-22-2002 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:22 PM

Softex has Touline(sp.) in it. I am under the impression that it is "shoe goo" and touline.
I saw that Dave Skok(Mush Mouth guy) used a water based Softex substitute. He said that it drys a little slow, but since he is exposed to it all the time, the inconvienience is worth it.
In a related thread, I learned two cool epoxy tricks. To thin it out, Capt.Haag recomended a couple of drops on Denatured Alchohol. Capt. Joe Blados recomends 15 seconds in the microwave. I'm sure his kitchen smells great.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:03 PM

It's great to be able to come in late on this one and to find the hazard warning info already posted

Yep, ventilation is the key with solvents!!! I've started using Loon soft head which is (IMO) a person-friendlier mix, but works well. Totally clear, and somewhere between epoxy and softex on the flex scale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.