Posting to the "What's New" board. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2002, 09:46 PM

Posting to the "What's New" board.

Juro, we PNW types have Spey Clave 2 coming up in mid may; how do I/we get a posting on the "what's new" board on the home board.

Last year over 100 spey casters attended; this year it appears it will be more. And the more the better. 99% of the folks are people who are on the ISC board so no strangers. Interesting to have someone whom you only know from the internet walk up and hand you a $1,000 worth of equipment and say "try this and tell me what you think."

Rare and wonderful group.
Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred -

We'd be honored to update the what's new links with info on the Spey clave... I'll chat with Dana about it tomorrow and not only will we gladly put up the info I might be able to schedule my spring trip to coincide!

Fingers crossed,

Juro
Old 01-21-2002, 07:19 AM

2002 Sandy River Spey Clave

http://www.flyfishusa.com/about-our-...spey-clave.htm

Dana has already advised me he won't be attending the second Clave. Mark Backman of the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, Oregon is our 'point man' again this year for lining up destributers, Oxbow Park, etc.

Please contact him for info on the Clave; the url above will take you directly to current info. The first one last year had over 100 hard-core spey rodders in attendence. God only knows what the total dollars worth of all that equipment ran.

Most of these folks knew each other via Dana's site. But still a wonderful complement to have (other than a board name) an otherwise total stranger come up and intoduce himself and hand you a $1,000 rod/reel and say try this and tell me what you think?

Interesting part is (and this actually happened to me more than once) the fellow would walk off to watch someone else work his/her rod. You'd have to go find him to give him back his equipment. That, my friend, is trust!

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-21-2002 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:15 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
One request for 2003!!! Really?

I attended and really enjoyed the 1st clave last year. Coming all the way from NY (my daughter, son-in-law and new grand daughter live in Portland) it was a wonderful opportunity to be with and learn from all the westcoasters. There are no spey casters in my area of the finger lakes region of NY.

I was very disappointed to learn of the different schedule for 2002 (last year it was May 6-7) as I have prior commitments that I can't change. I'm really hoping that a schedule for 2003 can be proposed early, so that I can plan to attend. I realize that I won't get much sympathy for not being able to attend this year because the conflict is with my tarpon dates in the Keys, but I would like to be able to do both next year.

Last year, there really wasn't much organization, we had no idea how many would show up. At one time we thought maybe 20 or so. We were all surprised at the turnout. It was amazing to see so many casters of all skills on the water at Oxbow. The occasional floater that went by must have thought that this was the greatest "hot spot" on the river. I'll miss not coming this year, as I'm sure with a bit more organization it will be the place to be.

Along with Chatty Cathy (Fred) I can recommend the clave highly.

bill
Old 01-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred -

Thanks for the clarification, I was running on fumes last night after unpacking my truck from the show. It will be my pleasure to talk to Mark about the details and get that up ASAP. I'm sure if he'd like we can put up a signup sheet for him to use on his site to help get an idea of attendance, totally up to Mark.

I'll be out for spring steelhead before that and probably can't do another trip until the following fall... but MAN would I love to attend such an event. I'm sure our PNW members will make a great showing and please take some photos for members around the world to enjoy vicariously.

I'm sure guys like Willie Gunn will be proud to see his namesake waters honored 5,000 miles away in such a "Spey" clave of these proportions!

Hmmm.... maybe I could come out an target springers and early lower Columbia summer runs in May instead of late winter nates....
Old 01-21-2002, 05:20 PM

Juro, thanks for contacting Mark directly ..

Too many cooks spoil the broth ... and add confusion, not solutions. Last years go probably collected the largest group of Spey Nuts in the Pacific Northwest as I said earlier. This year 'rumor has it' that Mark has several real surprises up his sleave for the folks. If half the 'talk' is reasonably accurate this is going to be THE EVENT.

Again, greatly appreciate your help and cooperation in helping this grand event take place.
Fred

PS: Yuck! on the spell checker going away. My spelling is not my "long suit."

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-21-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:26 PM

For "Willie."

Malcom, think about burning up some of those 'frequent flyer miles' for you and Melly.... and the rest of the 'non-fisheries types' in the family. Want to do a tour of the Northwest? Use my place as a home base; I've even got an auto for your use, will save you a ton. As usual, the 'buy in' is a good bottle of single Malt at the door.
fe
Old 01-22-2002, 02:07 PM

Fred.
You are far too generous and one of these days I will take advantage of it. Not this year I'm afraid No1 daughter has exams so holidays in term time are out I'm afraid.

Don't worry we will arrive sometime.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 01-22-2002, 02:28 PM

Malcom: Right Answer. :>)

Looking foreward to meeting you!
Fred
Old 01-22-2002, 02:38 PM

Bill, Bill, Bill, what ever shall we do with you?

Man, did you have to 'spill the beans' on the Chatty Cathy nickname?? (Worst yet, I'm the one who used the term first). Call the Tarpon guy and change the dates. This will be one you don't want to miss.

And, how is the new grandchild?
fe
Old 01-22-2002, 02:47 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Fred
Grandchild (Ella) is gorgeous! 7 months old today. We've been fortunate to see her and her parents 4 times since the birth. Not going to change the tarpon dates, but I will take advantage of Dana's class in Ontario the first and second of June. It's less than 4 hours from here. And that wil be a little over 2 weeks before my trip to the Gaspé. I hope we'll be able to get back to Oregon sometime in the fall. I'm sure it will be a great clave and Mark has already told me that he'd let me know asap about next year's dates.
bill
Old 01-23-2002, 03:03 PM

Good news, bad news. :>)

Good news on your Granddaughter; bad news on not being able to change the Tarpon dates, Good news on taking Dana's spey class, bad news is are there any fish available to practice over. Good news the the Gaspe trip, bad news is that must cost a ton.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.