Marlboro - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2002, 09:03 PM
President of CAC

Marlboro

Got there late, around 10:00 and Jeff and Juro were setting up the booth... we worked until opening and the crowd was slim but began to pick up... but the usual Friday at the show.. I started with the tying around 12 and helped a beginner do the Crab Apple then Bob Pink did his wizardry with the flat wing.. we had a camera and and a sreen in back of the booth so others could watch the tying... Tiring day... Juro was falling asleep around 7 at the computer. Roop sold two of Tony S's prints and we saw Brendan O'Brien. Todd(sprocket), Todd Murphy, Eddie, Bill Stanton and Doug D.. Rick S. did his tying and met a bunch of other guys not now on the forum. Helped a Fellow named Jack tye some high tie polar fiber bait fish while Roop worked with two kids. That Powell rod... the new Tiberon is one hell of a rod.. problem is it's $725.... Bears Den had some great colors in Buck tail and I was finally able to buy some ski blue polar fiber. I did some walking around and spent tons on fly tying stuff. Tomorrow will get there early and spend the day at our booth.. Looking forward to watching Mark Sidotti ccast at 10:30 tomorrow and Enrico Puglisi tye... spoke with John Morrison who showed me the fly shop where he buys his deer hair for spinning... Great day and I look forward to tomorrow...If I see one more still photo of Roop with his big stripers I will go nuts. See you tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Men,

I heard from Jeff Borkowski that you guys could use pedestal vises. I will bring mine tomorrow morning and I should show up around 10:30 AM.

Looking forward to it.

-Mike
Old 01-18-2002, 09:16 PM

Fun time which seemed to fly past much too quickly. Every shop that stocks quality tying materials must know know striblue on sight because he brought an absolutly STUNNING selection of his work this winter. If you remember that 200 in 2 weeks post? Well, that's some creative and quality work there John. Hope you bring a good amount of those back tomorrow for the Saturday groups to learn from. Oh John!! Umpqua's calling!

Kudos to Juro & Jeff for having the vision to make this work. The tying class was fun once I got past my 'impostor complex'. Seemed odd to be sitting there and look out to see a crowd gathered around the booth..

If you are going Saturday/Sunday all I can say is that you will definately have a good time...
Old 01-19-2002, 04:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If you could pick one thing to say about the Forum without any hesitation it would be "team effort". This show has been that in spades.

It's only been day one and already we should be looking at MVP votes for Roop, BobP, Striblue, Hawkeye, JimW, RichD, GregD, all those who provided vises and tools, with special thanks to John and Bob for leading excellent tying sessions, Chris Delise for the awesome stickers (again), and Nick Svencer for the best damn SWFF boxes ever. Roop and I ran impromptu sessions with youngsters (seemed to be a popular request) nothing like seeing kids beaming smiles after a first fly!

Our sponsor Rich Soriano of Fly Rod & Reel Outfitters in Marlboro (just a few miles down the road) came and snipped some serious flash-n-feather with us yesterday. His session went so well he had a curtain call and had to make an encore performance!

Today, we will feature Stan Mackerwicz, one of the best (and most humble) tyers in the Bay State, our friend and mentor Harry Koons of Nauset Angler and inventor of the Rat's Ass, Capt. Ray Stachelek, generous contributor to the Forum whom we all know and love for his angel hair creations, and our man on Monomoy Capt. Todd Murphy who is working with Kenney Abrams at the show but will be able to run a session with us in the afternoon.

I hope to see you there in a few hours! Off to Kinko's Copies...
Old 01-19-2002, 06:04 AM

Sounds great, wish I could attend to learn more about salt water flies for my trips back to NJ and visits to the surf, but will look for the results of the top flies and techniques in the Striper and Salt Water areas of the forumn.

For me today will be tying some michigan steelhead flies, relaxing, and getting ready for the Chicago Bears play off game this afternoon with the Philadelphia Eagles.

We have a couple of inches of new snow, it is in the low twenties, the hawk is out (wind chill), snow showers predicted, its Da Bears NFL playoff weather for sure !! Catch it on national tv at the show today.

Have a good one!

:hehe: :hehe:
Old 01-19-2002, 08:17 AM
President of CAC

Hal....don't forget ... The Patriots are tonite.... Pat's vs. Bears in two three weeks? Hmmmm... Repeat with different results naturally.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Flyfishing on the brain..

I'll be one of the faithful, freezing his bo-jangles off, under the lights of Foxboro tonight.

I won't make the show today but I will be in around 10:00AM on Sunday. I have about three or four hours to spend there before my fatherly duties call. Hope to see everyone there.

~Mark
Old 01-19-2002, 11:22 AM

Oh yes will be watching the Pats tonight.

Whats interesting is that Donavan Mcnabb is local chicago boy who grew up here and was a HS school star now returning for the big game at Soldier field against the Bears.

Did not see much of the Patriots on TV out here this year so don't know much about them other then DB lost his job.

Good luck to the Pats against the Raiders tonight

Hal
Old 01-19-2002, 11:49 AM
_

Well, I made my first appearance at a "fly fishing" show on Friday. I've been to other sportsmans shows and fishing shows, but none of those focused on fly fishing. I was impressed by the amount of quality merchandise they had for sale. Some of the other shows had so much "junk" that they seemed more like garage sales. If I knew more about SW fly tying I could have spent a small fortune on materials! Good line-up of seminars too. I caught the seminars by Barry Beck (outdoor photography tips) and Alan Caolo (sight fishing for stripers), both of which were very informative and entertaining. Can't wait to test some of Caolo's theories!

You guys did a great job with the Forum's booth. Nice location too! (go inside and turn left) Good idea to do the tying lessons and give people a way to participate. After wandering around and looking at all the stuff that I wished I could buy, it was nice to be able to sit down and "do" something for a while. I managed to tie my first spreader style fly with a little help (ok, a lot of help) from Rich and Juro. It was my first SW fly that used more than just thread and bucktail. Now I just need to learn how to put it in front of a fish! Looking forward to the casting clave!
Q
Old 01-19-2002, 07:39 PM
President of CAC

Another good day to spend a winter day... ... Lets see.. the booth brought a lot of people to the fly tying.. HarryK did his Rats ass, Ray S. did his Angel hair... Bob Pink tyed with his daughter... Fred showed up and showed off the deep sand eel with Unique hair... Pete was in his usual good mood... Both Ray and Harry gave me their tyed flies for the display case at CAC. Brendan O'Brien gave me three bueatiful display cases he used to have in his office for CAC... Cris D. was there with his brother..Darryl... Jim Doogue handed out pictures from this summer... Mike Doogue showed up with out his Tuxedo... Jeff B. saved the day with a bag full of great sandwiches to the disdain of Jim Doogue... Hawkeye maned the booth with his usual cool breezy charm... Roop bossed Juro around....Dave Fix showed up with his lovely wife... and was his usual happy self... Todd (Sproket) showed up with his girl friend but bought nothing today.. and why was that Todd? Meet our other Todd. Alan Caolo hung around for a while and I gave him one of my crab apples. Had a nice conversation with Mark Sedotti...Jim Whelan and Art B. were exchanging comments on rod building... Fish Hawk stayed awhile... I swore to Brian Casey that "yes ,I did finally join the CCA... with Cash". Sorry, some of the names are escaping me for the moment and if I missed anyone.. not intended. Mr. Devereaux(sp) spent another day. I will let Juro . Roop and other fill in the blanks. Oh, yes.. Ian D.did one great job fly tying and it was good to meet him. Watched Puglasi and spoke with Martinek and Poplovic. Todd Murphy stopped by again and was working with Kenny Abrames.. I did by Abrames book though. Looked for first eddition Books but were all too expensive... no deals there.

Last edited by striblue; 01-19-2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:54 PM

Nice job John - there was so much going on there today that I could not possibly recall it all as well as you have, particularly now that I have gotten home thru the snow, sat down and poured one.

Just wanted to add that the first tying session of the day was with Capt. Stan Mackerwicz, which went awesome and we are really thankful that a tyer of his caliber was able to kickoff the day.

Thinking about all the great people that the show brings to both sides of the counter... pretty amazing. Many of whom you mentioned, too many more to possibly name.

I would like to take a moment to mention how much of a special pleasure it was to meet Chris's son Ian, tie with him, and most of all see the improvised patterns he invented with the materials and tying tools between sessions. His high spirits were uplifting and his recovery inspiring. I look forward to the day we get to fish those flies together, Ian!

Thanks to all who contributed to the success of the booth today, with special thanks to Stan, Harry, Ray and Gil! It was truly an honor to have you guys leading our tying sessions today. We look forward to fishing with you in the 2002 season!

Please check back for the full image gallery and report... after I get some rest
Old 01-19-2002, 09:53 PM

Chris and Ian Delisle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fatherson.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	68  
Old 01-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Excellent picture!!!

I look forward to the day that my son Sean and I can sit down and tie flies together. Better yet, I hope Sean, my little Bro', Mike and his Grandpa Jim get to spend some time together around a vice some day.

It's 2AM, and I just finished shoveling my driveway after the Patriots triumphant overtime victory. After a few glasses of water to dilute the haze I've accumulated, I'm off to bed. I'll see you all at the show tomorrow.

~Mark
Old 01-20-2002, 06:46 AM

Smile

:eyecrazy: I was glad to meet everyone yesterday, and now can tie a face to some of the names on the forum, some I was able to talk more to than others, but I talked more with the guys that could put up with me. The invite is open for anyone that wants to fish southern RI this year, go Juro, and gang. Artb
Old 01-20-2002, 08:05 AM

art,
it was a highlight for me yesterday to finally meet you. I really was coveting a chance to try that 10' 8?/9? wt that you just finished. That was some beautiful wrapping work. I also agree that Stan was a fine way to start the day's tying sessions. I found his insights very helpful ( think gillplates ) and I always enjoy a chance to sit and tie with Audry. She get's it.
There are also some folks that are at the show each year who are absolutly wonderful to Audry, Geroge Roberts and Shelia Hassan have a special connection, Audry left with a pair of George's clouser earrings and with thoughts of Shelia's IGFA world record ( Bluefish, 6lb ) in her head.... Bob Lindquist form NJ who always welcomes her by name ( just that is hard to believe ) and of course the forum gang who know her vicariously through a very proud dad.

Only downside was the crowds, I'd have been dissapointed if I had been there and needed to get some up close time with a particular product or vendor. I was jsut as glad that we had to blast at noon to go to hockey practice...

Thanks to all the volunteers who've come together to make this idea work.... ( Nice touch with the badges there Hawkeye! )

off to Hockey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.