my first spey rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up my first spey rod

I just recieved my first spey rod today and was pretty impressed with it.It is a Loop Adventure model,14ft 9/10 with a European action.The rod looks very high quality right down to the velvety sock and rod case.The rod is a glossy grey with wine colored wrapping.It is much lighter and more powerful feeling than I was expecting.Overall I can't be more happy.I can't think of a better deal out there than this(I paid $165 US from a store called Stone Creek Ltd on an auction site),especially for those unable to shell out the big bucks that some of todays rods cost.Apperently these rods were discontinued by Loop to bring out their color concepts lineup.The store owner where I got the rod from said that they still prefered this model to the new Blackline(which is considered a fine rod).Overall I am very impressed with it and with the service I recieved from the seller.I would highly recommend both(just in case anyone is looking for a good deal).I'm not sure how many they have left but they have been selling fast.Now I just need to find a reel and line combination.The rod is rated 9/10 but I have been told it is pretty fast and will throw a heavier line as well.How do I choose the right line for the rod and for me?Would it be best to have a qualified shop(where I'm going to take lessons)help me and possibly demo some lines on it for me first?I'm a beginner but a quick learner so I want something that will allow me to progress correctly and not develop too many bad habits.The rod will be used mostly on the Thompson so longer casts will be important.I want a change-tip system with sinking heads as well.Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 PM

Yes that rod looked like a great deal, I was tempted but I need a 7/8 weight for michigan steelhead rivers and PNW dry/grease line fishing. Thats the current target, R+D in process.

Good luck with the LOOP let us know what you think of them.

Not many distributors in the US of them. I contacted them directly and they gave me a shop in New Hampshire I think.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:59 PM

Ignoring the use of sinking tips for a moment ..

With the Euro blanks most 'beginners' need to overline a tad to get the rod to load properly. If you know someone with a DT 10 or 11 wt try this first just so you can get the rod to work for you (and fish this wonderful machine). A 'real' spey line in a DT is really not needed unless you're fishing 'big, wide water.' Most fishing is really done under 75' from the bank so why a 120' line?

Next you'll want to try one of the multi-line shooting head designations such as the RIO's/SA, etc . Here the longer line - tapered head length brings something to the party. Let folks on the board know where you're at, as there are probably several spey casters in your area who would be delighted to let you try out line combinations and see what works for you. And, best of all, you'll probably gets some great 'lessons.'
fe
Old 01-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Hi Scott,

I looked at this rod - it's a very fast action and more like a true 10wt. Lines I'd suggest include the Rio WC 10-11-12, the Wulff TT Spey 10/11, or the SA Mastery Spey 10/11.

I also second Fred's suggestion that you connect with an accomplished spey caster in your area who fishes a long belly line. They can evaluate the rod's strength and, with their familiarity with the longer belly lines, help you to choose an appropriate setup for you.

As for reels - choose anyone you like that can hold your line and 200yds of backing (you said Thompson) and you'll be fine. Get a disk drag if you think you need it.

hasta,

DS
Old 01-17-2002, 05:16 PM

"Spey lessons."

Your location bio just registered in the brain ..... ya, ya, ya it took several hours.

You're located in south centeral BC a 'hot bed' of spey rodders. Zip over to Dana's Place on the International Spey Casting Board and you'll find mucho friends in your area 'pdq.'
Fred
Old 01-17-2002, 05:18 PM

Question

What are the Scientific Anglers Tri-tip lines like?Someone on another board is selling them fro 60% off.

Last edited by tonyd; 01-17-2002 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:32 PM

I have the SA Try tip Spey 9wt and love it. I have fished it on the 9140-4(old) and the new 9150-4 and it handles nicely on them better on the 9150 as it slightly over loads the 9140. The 15' Ft type 5 tip is great and is taper and cast well. The only bad part the old loops sucked. I am not sure if they fixed it or not. But I did cast my first 15' type 5 tip off but it was replaced quickly. So wrap or nail knot the loops. I heard rumors that they were going to fix this but haven't seen first hand.

65' belly is longer then the windcutter but shorter the the accelorator and is about right for my stroke. Still have to shoot some line at least I don't have to strip 50 feet in to hit a good cast.

JJ
Old 01-18-2002, 02:41 AM

SA Mastery Tri-Tip

Would the SA Mastery Tri-Tip line be a good match for this rod?If so what size?I can get a great deal on the lines but being a beginner caster I don't know if they would be a good choice for me.Could anyone give me a little freindly advice on this?Would I be better off waiting and getting something else?
Old 01-18-2002, 04:05 PM

Tony, before you go with the SA tri-tip

Just saw a thread from "Longcaststeve" (The!!!! Master of Masters with 2 handers). Steve has some very good advise that will save you $. Say after me: "saving money is a good thing."

Can't find the darn thing now, but he was giving instructions on clipping back this line at 14' and looping both sections. (This way you still have the floating tip, plus looped for tips.) Will Guns question on the board about 'chopping up' an SA follows the same thread. Point of this is you'll probably save considerable $ "doing your own thing" vs. buying a production model.

Anyway, search these things out. Another place to look (your question on this subject is not the only one) is the ISC board.

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-18-2002 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.