Fly Fishing Forum banner

Books

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
Hey Guys:

Any suggestions on books about stripers to read during this off season?

Craig

#3 ·
Hi Craig -

There are no new good books, particularly any about sight fishing for stripers by a Mr. Caolo. And the pictures suck. No, no, no! It's all false, shots taken in an aquarium that's all. Don't believe a word of it :devil:

Seriously, the hottest new book for striper hounds like you is the one I hate to mention. Art Burton brought it to Rhodyfest (thanks Art!). I average between 24 and 30 trips a year to sight fish the flats, with or without clients. It's downright religious for me. Due to the difficult nature of the fishery and because it's almost wholly a flyfisherman's venture it's one of the few venues that is not overrun with people. This book is so well written I fear this may change!

I think our mutual friend Dave Pierson would feel the same way as I do upon reading this one, it's a great work. Definitely the best book to read this winter.

(BTW - we can get your old login back if you want)

#5 ·
Few recent reads or re-reads that I'd recommend:

"moon pulled up an acre of bass" - Peter Kaminsky
"striper moon" - kenney abrames
"perfect fish" - kenney abrames

"flyfishing the saltwater shoreline" - Ed Mitchell. Reading this right now. He jumps right into it: starts w/ a chapter on tunoid fishing. Nice evening read.

Also, during my evening commute home been reading "A River for Christmas" by Ernest Schweibert (sp?). Believe it's out of print, but you can probably find it via your local library.

Happy reading.

#6 ·
All the books mentioned above are very good.

If you are interested in understanding more about how the ocean, tides, current, weather, etc.. effects fishing, you should definitely read "The Fisherman's Ocean" by Ross.

Its a great book which helps explain alot of what we see while out on the water, but in layman's terms. The first half of the book goes into the 'science' aspect, the second half puts that knowledge to use in fishing different types of structure, etc..

Its definitely written for the fisherman, and most of the fish references are to stripers, so very relevant to our fishery here in the northeast. The author, I believe, is a marine biologist out of Woods Hole.

-- Tom

#8 ·
Craig.. where have you been?... good to hear from you... how's Dave doing? I will look though my list but Mitchells new book is great... This is not about stripers but I am reading a book by Sampson.. called "Permit on A Fly" which is a great historic book, easy reading and Educational.

#10 ·
I got "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass" for christmas and finished reading it in 2 nites, and I'm not a fast reader. If it's entertainment you want, this was a blast to read. However, if your looking for educational material, I have not read anything that compares to David Ross's "The Fishermans Ocean", and it's not just because David is a friend. I learned more about tides and current from his book than I thought possible.
Next, it's sight fishing for me and Mr. Caolo's book is on the top of my list.

#11 ·
Mitchell's new book is a good read. Great chapter on fishing edges.

I'll second Ross's "Fisheman's Ocean".

I'm going to pick a copy of Caolo's book at the show. Also eyeballed "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass" at a few bookstores but havn't got it yet, but will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.