alternatives to boot foot waders? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 PM
any fish, any time

alternatives to boot foot waders?

I get cold feet when winter wading. really cold. numb. So far insulated bootfoot neoprenes are the only thing I've tried that will keep my feet warm. My goretex waders (with neoprene booties) and wading boots simply do not cut it, even with good dry smartwool socks and reasonably loose fitting boots. My feet become ice. Extra insulation is necessary.

My bootfoots are dying, and I'm considering a pair of super oversized boots (to wear with the Goretex waders), big enough to easily accomodate a second pair of socks or extra neoprene booties, yet still fit loosely.

Question is, will an extra big boot approach even come close to the warmth that my bootfoots provide?

thanks in advance, Steve

Last edited by loco_alto; 01-15-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I was always plagued with cold numb painful feet until I bought a pair of oversize boots. I have relatively small feet as my shoe size is 9. Back in June I bought a pair size 11 boots.

It makes a huge differance. I wear my size 11 boots, ExStream Smart Wool Socks by Simms and I have yet to get cold feet this Winter. A first, for sure! And if that doesn't work look for a product called Goat Feet (knee high oversized fleece socks) and Simms used to make a pair of oversized fleece socks. Either of these items can be worn over the SmartWool socks and will guarantee warmth.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:42 AM

Steve,

See if you can find a pair of "vapor-barrier" neoprene socks offered by Gator or Seirus. They are 1MM neoprene lined with fleece. I would also recommend using a lightweight polypro wicking sock under these to help move the moisture but keep it contained within the neoprene booty.

This quote is from a friend that swears by this method, "If used properly, these socks will protect the warm moist layer around your skin and maintain optimal humidity on its surface. This in turn reduces your insensible perspiration by as much as 85% and thus stops all evaporative heat loss." In water colder than 40, he suggests wearing a pair of smartwool over the neoprene socks and you should be set.

Yes, you will need enough room to fit all of this without restriction or your feet will ice cube up.

William
Old 01-15-2002, 04:17 AM

Wink

I have a friend that tryed thoes battery socks I thought it was a good Idea until he forgot to get new batteries and froze so bad because he wasnt acculmated, shoot isnt numb feet part of the experance...nate
Old 01-15-2002, 06:13 AM

Agree numb feet are part of the steelhead experience.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:15 AM

Burrrrrrr

Steve, as you know I ware summer weight breathables year round. But I always have on boots 2-3 sizes larger for the extra sock materials necessary. The layering is what makes it work for me. Just cotton gym socks in the summer, then to a wool-200 thinsulate sock (these are the cats meow), then to a 'gortex type' over sock.
Trick is not so much a ton of sock(s) but the 'stacking' order. AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can your feet/toes be jamed into the boot. If they are, don't even bother to get out of the car.

Your dead meat.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:34 AM

There are numb feet, and then there are frozen feet. The kind of pain that forces you out of the river after 45 minutes to spend the next 6 hours waiting for the cold to finally go away. Not too smart to fish very long with your feet in this condition!

William

Last edited by inland; 01-15-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:56 PM
any fish, any time

If numb feet are part of your experience, then I have to ask -- have you ever used a pair of insulated bootfoot neoprene waders? It could change your life...

Not too encouraging answers here, thinking I'll stay right where I am and glue on some spiked felts next time around..
Old 01-15-2002, 09:34 PM

Loco: Roger that. Or better possible

solution is/are "Stream Cleats.' Come to fit up to a size 13 tubby boot and they will glue you to the bottom. At $50 bucks the cheapest life insurance policy you can buy.
fe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.