Think I'll need a membership in a good gym. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2002, 10:38 PM

Think I'll need a membership in a good gym.

Large, and very long box, sitting at door this evening. The 18' Bruce and Walker 10wt spey rod arrived in Medford. Loaded 'her' up with a RIO 10-11 Aclrtr for a test drive on my lunch hour tomorrow.

Have a couple of rods at 15 feet that folks ask 'how long is that thing?' Now the question will be 'how long is THAT thing? This rod makes my fourteens and fifteens look like pea-shooters.
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2002, 01:41 PM

Hi Fred
Have been out for your lunch time fishing yet ?

How does the big stick handle ?

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 01-15-2002, 01:54 PM

gym heck casting that monster youll be burly in no time

Fred
after a couple days on the river with that yarder, youll find your self wearing cork boots and flannels, and a real hunger for flap jacks........just keep you pesky blue ox out of my water:hehe: Nate
Old 01-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Junkyard Spey

BIG ROD

Willie,

After Fred's field testing work out with the big rod at lunch time he must have gotten so tired packing that big thing back to the car that he had to stop and rest. Could that be why we haven't had a report yet?
Old 01-15-2002, 08:45 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
;)

I think he went to go cast 80' via a Double Spey and the rod fell on him.

For all we know...Fred could be trapped on some gravel bar on the Rogue, pinned under the big ole 18'er, screaming for help.

...I hope he carries a cell phone with 'em. :hehe:
Old 01-15-2002, 10:36 PM

Oh hush you guys!

Reports are reported.
:eyecrazy:

And the para-medic's did not have to chain saw the gate at Denmon to pull me out from under the 'tree.' They had a key and a fork lift.
:hehe:
Old 01-16-2002, 01:34 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

So Fred,
How much does the Oregon Division of Motor vehicles charge for an oversized load permit to transport that herkin' pole from place to place. I suppose if by some freak chance it was merely a 2 piecer you could just throw it in the back of a standard pickup and red flag the tip.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:56 PM

The Big Stick.

Well I said 'reports are reported' but think that was on the ISC Board. The rod actually fits nicely into the old Ford Explorer (my fishing auto of the past 11 years) in two sections. Just a tad too long (sections are not of equal length as the butt section is a seperate piece) to get into the VW Jetta. I can get 15 footers into this car but not the big one without breaking it down completely.

Two passes at the river yesterday testing the rod. Marked off a section of beach (paced it off and stone markers every 10 yards) and once I got the 'swing of it' I was chucking a RIO 10-11 Aclrtr (the tri-tip in dry line config) plus two heavy tube flys out to 95 to 114 feet. Miss your timing (this rod has to be slowly loaded and 'shot-gun' raise on the butt when casting) and the line would collapes at about 50 feet. Timing was one issue (too fast) and the loop connectors of the tri-tip appeared to be the other.

Will get my 10-11-12 Windcutter back this weekend and give that a go.

The one thing that strikes me very odd about the rod is the initial guide placement above the reel seat. The first one's only 28 inches (and a small guide-size of a quarter maybe) and the next is at 40 something (can't remember now). The first guide being so close/small really shuts down the ability to shoot line as the coils in your hand hit it too soon. Put a message up on ISC to Long Cast Steve to see if he might have a recommendation on changing the spacing of the first two guides (eliminate one and increase the size of the remaining one). Think this could really improve this rods performance.
Fred
Old 01-16-2002, 03:09 PM

Hi Fred.
Can you get hold of a Wulff 10/11. If you could try one of those I think you will find it will cast fine. Come over here and I'll lend you mine.:hehe:

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 01-16-2002, 06:47 PM

Willie: great offer!! If I can't

Joan would be pleased as punch to 'step up' for me. She's the ''travelin' man" in the family. Actually works for Rick Steves "Europe Through the Back Door" tour group as an asst. guide. All her trips have been on the 'continent' (France, Germ, etc) and a couple of personal trips to England. Anyway, If I can't she will.

Will look into that line 'on line.'
fe
Old 01-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Chief of E.P.

Wow Fred, that is some long rod. Actually I thought the only people who fished those were from north of the border and suffering from small penile syndrome.

Actually just kidding on that last comment. I have held that telephone pole but didn't think I was man enough to cast it. I did see its owner though, shortly after regaling me with stories about Margaret Trudeau, pick up that monster and put on a casting display on the Thunderbird Drift on the Skykomish. As Juro and Doublespey will attest, he was coming close to spiral roll casting from one bank to the other. For those that don't know Thunderbird, this is one heck of a long cast.

Still don't think I am man enough to cast it

ST
Old 01-16-2002, 07:04 PM

Talking

Wow two weighted tube flies swinging on the end of an 18 footer spey cast, I wonder what the kinetic energy is upon impact, hopefully not to you fred , sounds like a lethal weapon, are you trying to hook the fish or stun them with the force of the tubes plummeting to the bottom

Oh well I look forward to the picture of you throwing it on the Rogue, it is in my imagination now.

You must not have many tight forest trails to walk out there. Don't see how I could do it out here on some of our river trails up and down clay banks, winding through tight trees, etc....

Keep us posted

Hal
Old 01-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sinktip -

I am still amazed by what I saw... in fact for those who missed it go halfway own and click on the picture of the Spey caster on the Skykomish...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/artic...ever/index.htm

That loop is still 1/3 folded over and still g-o-i-n-g!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:18 PM

That is amazing, that will be Fred soon, and we will see his pictures. Looks like a great steelie run also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.