Good deal on a spey rod???? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2002, 03:36 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Good deal on a spey rod????

I'm really enjoying learning my spey rod. Still need to hook up with Doublespey to find my faults and get soome more distance. But, I have an opportunity to buy and older 9140-4 sage rod. It's in like new condition with tube and warranty card. I've seen these brand new for $700 but that's brand new. Even it being a sage doesn't mean it will hold value, I don't know if they had a problem with the older slower actin blanks (I do believe i's brown).

The guy is asking $350 for it. Is this a good deal? I know what they go for, but not sure of real value, or if this is model may had defects iin older models. I love th DS and RPLXi I have now. Let me kknow if I should snag it up.

Thanks Jerry

Plus, I have a Lamson LP7 coming in the mail, figured this woud match right up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2002, 05:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
9140-4 is a good rod, not an outstanding rod but a good reliable rod. There was no manufacturing defects. It is a sloeer action rod but has pelent of power for throwing tips.
305 is a fair price for the rod but not really a screaming deal. I have a rod from the same series the 10150-4 and thats about what I'll be asking for it when I go to sell it.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:26 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Talk about honest salesmanship

Just got done talking to the guy who had the rod. Let him know I was loking to upgrade my Ccabela/st croix 14' 9wt spey rod. Know hat he tld me??? That I had what h considered a stronger rod, and wouuld only sell the rod t me if I truly wanted it, but I was more then setup with what I had (I tld him mine is an older model, not a brand new rod). Can you believe that??? I'm flored. I guess I'll be keeping my Cabela's brand.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
I had the ST Croix for a while until i broke it ( left it on my roof rack overnight and we had a wind storm and a branch fell on my truck) I sold it to my friend as is for a hundred bucks he sent it to St croix and they fixed it for free.
The only thing that is nicer about the 9140-4 is the diameter of the blank although i haven't fished it a while lot i would guess that is a tad less tireing to fish all day. There is nothing wrong with the St Criox as a fishing tool. Nice that the guy was honest with you though, thats great.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:06 PM

"69" for that kind of money..

send the check.

If the rod is 'new,' with warrenty, who cares for the dollars involved are, up a few-down a few, from 'fair market value.' This was my first (of nine now?) spey rods and it's still the 'go to rod' for many conditions. Will fling a dry line into tomorrow; handles tips well. Too heavy for low water conditions/too light for big water, etc., then's when you start dropping more dimes for condition specific rods.

Don't fret, just buy it and line it with a RIO alcltr; tri-tip if you want. You will be pleased where your money went.
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2002, 01:14 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Steelheader69,

The guy with the 9140-4 is telling the truth. Your St Croix is a good rod and is very similar to the 9140-3, which is a considerably more powerful rod than the 4 piece. While I know a number of guys who love their 9140-4, I have always found it too soft for my taste and if you have been fishing the St Croix you will likely feel the same.

The real question may be the reason why do you want to upgrade your rod? Maybe you should consider a totally different length and weight rod, possibly for a different application. Depending on where you fish maybe a 6 or 7 wt or 15' 10wt. Everything I know about the Cabela/St Croix is that it is a great rod. Just a thought.

Still Living Large!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:10 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Hey Kush, it's a sage....

LOL. Pretty much that's why. I have always loved the way Sage's have fealt since the day I first cast one. Finally lucked into a couple in the last year or so. Upgraded the older shabbier rods (ok, cheap, I'll admit it) and moved up. I love the two sages I have. Have got rid of the rest of my one hander's in salmon/steelhead range except for my old glass rods and my trout rods. I really got the urge to start using a spey rod a few years back. Was fishing the Hoh, and there is some prime water that is VERY hard to fish with a single hander. Between distance and back casting room it's near impossible. One day was getting close to Minnie Peterson and there was a guy throwing a spey. Nearly passed out (the ease of throw and the thought that I saw this being done in England in the late 80's and never corralated it here). Then was floored by the costs back in the late 90's (heck, still runs high). Well, lucked into a divorce (yes, I say lucked, my life has changed for better because of it). Have been able to upgrade some of my decrepid gear. Bought a used Cabela's/St Croix made spey rod. I love it, don't get me wrong, but this Sage came about and figured what the hey. But, told the guy I'll pass and he put it on ebay. Could probably still have him pull it off, but I've heard from just about everyone (including the guy selling the sage) what kush has said. The sage is a bit soft and the rod I have is great. So, will stick with something that isn't broke. LOL
Old 01-14-2002, 06:39 AM

Double tip of hat to Kush...

Coot, think he's right on about the St. Cx being very similar in action to the Sage 9wt 3 section rod. So getting the other one may very well brought little to your party. But his additional comments on buying other rods for other conditions has mucho merit.

There are times when a nine wt is either just too much, or too little rod for a set of specific conditions. This is why I almost always have three in the car when I head out. Couple of days ago the turned the tap on the Rogue and jumped the water flow from 700 cfs to 2200 cfs at the dam discharge (then add all the feeder streams, etc) and you've just about had a 300% increase in water volume. The 6, 7 and 8wt with dry lines didn't do me much good. Last nite we pulled the 8 Loomis, 9 and 10 wts out and dusted them off.
Fred
Old 01-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Coednakedspey

Just a question. Which Sage 9140-3 are you guys talking about? The Euro action discontinued rod (which I own) which I would say is much faster and more powerful than the 9140-4, or the Sage 9140-3 Disovery series (which came out before the split into trad/euro rods I believe?)?

Speaking of the Sage 9140-3 Discovery series, Michael and Young have one (still I think) which I believe is still brand new and retails for 350 bucks CDN funds. When I picked up this rod, the action seemed somewhere in between a traditional rod and a faster european rod. Felt kinda similar to the St. Croix 14' 9/10. I was also amazed at it being fairly light for a two hander and it was fairly responsive. Pretty good for an older Graphite II Sage rod.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:58 PM

high water blues

Ya Fred I was caught off guard to, (wading got scary) any how I tryed to fish the sink tip but couldnt get it to load right, What size is the belly on that line? my buddie (the one Im teaching) got a had one on it was cool watching him try to strip a steelhead in (I forgot to tell him to put the fish on the reel) I wasnt dissapointed about the day until we stoped in to The Fishing Hole and found out everyone but us was catching fish, I had better get my act togather and get the tips to work.....Nate
Old 01-14-2002, 04:12 PM

Line on Hardy reel for Nate.

Well the dry line is the 10-11-12 Windcutter but I'm a complete blank on what the sink-tip is on the other spool. Something suggests to my pea-sized brain that it's a line I cut and spliced.

Will have to see it (and pretty soon as the new toy is on it's way ... I think!) to tell you.

Joan's heading down to Calif. on Thursday PM on Jan 17, home late on Sunday the 20th. Will "Red-heads away, the Husband will play." Plan accordingly my young friend.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:05 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Scott,

The 9140-3 I refer to is the Graphite III "Euro Action". I am on record as saying I think this rod is one of the best all-round rods out there! It was my first and even after owning 6 others and having fished at least a dozen rods it is still one of my favourites!

Still Living Large!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:05 AM
Coednakedspey

Kush, as I mentioned, I own the Same rod (9140-3 Euro GIII) as you recommended it to me, and I think for what I want to do (Sink tip fishing on the Local BC rivers) as well as big river floating line and bigger fish, this rod definately fits the bill as a great all arounder and I am very happy with it.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Chief of E.P.

I know Brian (Doublespey) might disagree but I would pass on the 9140-4. The St. Croix is a superiour rod in my opinion. The 9140-3 on the otherhand is a cannon and if you get the chance to pick it up for the same price, I would jump at it. I spent some time casting it over the holidays and was quite thrilled with it.

If you are stuck on getting another 9 weight, in addition to the 9140-3 I would give the Sage 9150-4 and the Scott 1509 a cast. All are very nice rods and none of them suffer from the noodle syndrome of the 9140-4 (brown).

ST
Old 01-15-2002, 11:19 AM

Steelheader 69 I have fished both the St. Croix and the brown 9140. The St. Croix is easier to cast and will have more distance. The little heavier rod will give you more follow through in your cast. The 9140 is softer and is a good 90 foot rod. You will got a much better fight out of fish below 10 pounds with the 9140. Also at the end of a long day the 9140 you will have less fatigue. Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.