Carp - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2002, 12:43 PM
_

Good topic. Even a small carp will put a good stretch in your line, and I've seen some real monsters. They are definitely worth fishing for!

I've fished for carp several times but always used bait. I did, however, hook a big one on a Rapala once, so they would certainly take small baitfish imitations in addition to the other types of flies mentioned. You can use chum to bring them to you or just sight fish for them from shore or boat, although most of the carp I see are around thick weeds and/or lily pads which would make it difficult to cast to them.

Here's my carp story: I was fishing in shallow water at Saratoga Lake, NY, casting a 5cm floating silver/black Rapala for bass and panfish. I saw a nice carp swimming along the shoreline and, for some insane reason, I casted my lure at it. The lure landed a couple of feet beyond and ahead of the fish, and I started reeling to get the lure past the fish so I wouldn't foul-hook it. You should have seen my jaw drop when the fish turned, chased and inhaled the Rapala. I fought it for a few minutes and managed to turn it sideways close to the boat once before it took off and snapped my line. It looked like one of those big redfish that they catch on the fishing shows! I'm not sure exactly how big it was, but it was much larger than any carp I've ever landed, either before or since then, and I've caught them up to 15 or 20#.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2002, 10:44 PM

Carp, etc.

Well...PM Flyfisher, you should definitely get about it! I'm in Grand Haven, and you'll find good carp fishing in the flats around any Great Lakes river mouth. I fish 'em hard once the water hits about 60F+, and through the summer. I fish a 6wt with a WF floater and 9' leader, usually 2x fluorocarbon. Best pattern so far has been a size 6 Near 'Nuff Sculpin. I suspect it's taken as a crayfish, but either way it's bottom focused, which is key. Sometimes a slow, crawling retrieve is best, and sometimes longer (1') strips a little faster. The catfish and smallies like it a little faster. Let's see...the Whitlock article is right on. I've done well with nymphs when the sculpins are off. I haven't tried any bait imitations because I've never found it necessary (or sporting to me) to chum. I have had numerous occasions with dedicated carp fishers going fishless using bait, while I land numerous fish on flies not too far away. I hope you get into some soon.
Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.