Irish Trophy Trout 2001 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
Irish Trophy Trout 2001

The Irish Specimen Fish Committee has just published its new annual report for 2001.

Here are the trout results - not huge by US standards but not bad for wild Irish fish! The booklet covers all freshwater and sea species caught.

There were 27 specimen (>6lbs) seatrout caught last year (all from Lough Currane, Co. Kerry - no surprise) of which 23 came to the fly the biggest was 9lb 1oz.

19 river brown trout specimens (>5lbs) were recorded, 6 were caught on the fly - the biggest of these was 6lb. Biggest overall was 16lb 4oz.

28 specimen lake brownies (>10lbs) were recorded, only one came to the fly a 5.05kg Corrib trout. Lough corrib also yielded the biggest overall at 18lbs 8oz.

The Irish Specimen Fish report is available at

http://www.cfb.ie

for free:eyecrazy: .

Anyone who wants one can contact me and I will post it over to you.

Myles
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2002, 10:00 AM

That sounds great to me. Maybe 2002 is my year to replan my foiled trip of last Sep. Thanks Mylo.

BTW, Peter O'Reilly and the gang will be running the Fish Ireland booth again next week at the FF show in Marlboro. Peter will be giving a talk on it again up the hill in one of the rooms. This is not mentioned in the official schedule but I got a card in the mail. Apparently I gave them my address last year. Worth attending.
And don't think that we won't as a club evolve into international clavers. If so , Ireland will be on the top of the list. Heck, small groups of guys in their 50s routinely have golfing claves over there. We can have ours too.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 01-10-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Flats Rat

Right On Lefty!

Eire would make a great International Clave destination. Western Loughs and Rivers for wild browns, Sea Runs and Atlantics plus saltwater for Sea Runs and European Bass.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would love to attend that clave, the Emerald Isle always fascinated me for a number of reasons. It's similarity with the pacific northwest, it's people, it's fishing, scenery and thanks to Lefty it's music.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Irish flies are smiling

Location: The Irish Coast, the Western Lakes, small rivers near Dublin, secret spots in Donegal...
Exclamation

Here's one more reason for you Juro (might get a few more whipped into a frenzy too:hehe: )....

There is no record of ANY American catching a specimen, not to mind a record, of any kind in Ireland since the official reports were first issued in 1959.

It could be the crowning glory of an already glorious clave.

The Majority of the specimen trout were caught in May and june and the same goes for Sea trout.

...But there is a closed season for bass from the 15 of May to 15 June.

So late June it is then...

See you all soon

Mylo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.