Flatwing style Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2002, 04:44 AM

Flatwing style Fly

What do you think of the flat wing style fly? I have used them twice last season with good results. Wonder if anyone is using this type of fly on a regular basis.
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2002, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

Look for responses from Adrian, Capt. Todd Murphy, the Penguin.

Both Capt. Todd Murphy & Bob Pink will be conducting tying lessons on this style at the Marlborough show in the FFF booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2002, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up

I use the flatwing style most of the time unless I ' m trying to imitate a p'bunker( then I use a deceiver style). I like the way the flatwing casts plus the fact that I don't have to strip it to achieve action in the fly. Just my .02.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Flats Rat

I luv em! Started playing around with them this past season and found that they turn a stripers head on the flats like nothing else - just my experience over about ten or so trips. They also worked in the Rips.

The flatwing style is actually pretty ancient. There are many old Atlantic Salmon patterns based on this style - (Dee patterns I think) although the wings were tied in at the head. When the proportions are right the "wiggle" has to be seen to be believed and all can be achieved with natural materials - pretty cool

Its also nice to be able to create something in excess of 12 inches in length which can still be comfortably cast with a 9wt.

Just my 02c
Old 01-10-2002, 02:22 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...what he said!...

...Great fly that has motion even when it's dead drifting...
Last year I had the pleasure to attend a very informative Ken Abrames show-'n-tell at Capt Dave Bitters' Baymen in Duxbury. I took what I learned and had good success throughout the summer.
Fun fly to tye and it works too. Less filling! Tastes great!
Capt Dave is hosting another gathering soon and I'm planning on a "refresher" for graduate credit...and good friend Jim Bender at Lower Forty in Worcester is hosting Kenny soon as well.
Ken is a wealth of information and leads a thought provoking "out of the box" presentation.
If you can't make the shows (Marlboro/Wilmington) or make a seminar...pick up a copy of "Perfect Fish" for a step-by-step...well worth the price of admission!
Cheers!

Last edited by Penguin; 01-10-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Actually the Dee style of atlantic salmon fly is similar to the Spey style but using quill segments like swan instead of mallard or matched hackle tips like Syd Glasso. A classic example of the Dee style of fly is the Ackroyd.

Another flatwing that's been around for years is the razzle dazzle, a flatwing striper fly tied in a combination of sand eel, mackeral, herring, and other tasty flavors to tickle a striped bass' fancy.

Click here for a BEAUTIFUL flatwing tied by Bob Pink Jr...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...&threadid=1680
Old 01-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Flats Rat

I must rummage through some of my old gear. Somewhere I have some old Salmon Flies, one of which is a large double "Iron" tied flatwing style. I'll post a pic and see if anyone can come up with a name for it - maybe one for the Classic Atlantic forum.

Joe Cordiero was working his magic at the Fly show in Danbury this past week-end. His enthusiasm is infectious as in:

"....now, warm up your finger and thumb like this and pinch down like this...Now, YOU are the owner every single fiber and hair on that hook!"

And you better believe it!

Last edited by Adrian; 01-10-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:48 PM

I like the flatwings. I had some good luck with very small ones 1.5-2" in Rays fly colors to imitate silversides. I also tied some of those monster sided razzle dazzles but that was after the large herring had dropped so the jury is still out on those. I've had some success with the rhody flatwing. My favorite so far is one that Todd showed me, I'll call it a flatwing deep sand eel for lack of another name.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:08 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

...Joe Cordiero is going to do a class at Baymen soon with limited seating...He's a pleasure to watch and a master at what he does!
Old 01-10-2002, 05:18 PM
BB5 Survivor

..."baymen"....better use ALL CAPS when you say that.....

:hehe:
Old 01-11-2002, 10:31 AM

Thumbs up

I've been using flat-wings in the Harbor the last few seasons, especially early in the season when there are small 2-4" herring around, with very good results. I use a Ray's fly color scheme or switch to chartreuse if the water is still murky. As others have mentioned, I tend to favor it as a dead drifting pattern because it imparts action without much movement (good for when the water's still really cold and the fish are hungry but slightly lethargic). I think I still prefer a deceiver style pattern for lots of active stripping.

I also still switch to bigger, full-dressed deceiver patterns for the really big herring (8"+), but mostly out of habit. I suspect a big ol' Razzle Dazzle would be killer and may have to give one a shot this May come to think of it...
Old 01-11-2002, 11:27 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

...flat wings demo...

...Joe Cordiero will be tying flatwings for "The Saltwater Edge" at Marlboro and Wilmington... Joe is a MUST SEE!!!
He is a master at what he does and a pleasure to watch! One session with him and you're on your way to flatwing city!
'See you at the show...
Old 01-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Flats Rat

Flatwing salmon pattern - about 30 years old but the pattern looks older. Not sure of the name - the wing looks to be two slips of Turkey tied flat over the back. The body is palmered with a type of marabou.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flatwing salmon.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	62  

Last edited by Adrian; 01-11-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:53 PM

Been tying flatwings for the last two weeks. Can't imagine why they wouldn't be a staple in everyone's fly box. Last year they ruled in conditions where fish were down deep in structure. Tie 'em with side saddles before you start layering the flat feathers. This will give you a fuller profile from the side, and will also contain all the flashabou and other mylar you might add. bucktail.

Here's an example of the most popular pattern we use. It might not match Bob Pinks high standard of tying, but I'll keep trying.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:17 PM

Ray, nice looking fly. It just swam right off my screen.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.