Seattle Area Recommendations - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 11:54 PM
FFF CCI

Seattle Area Recommendations

I'll be in Seattle in early/mid February for my daughters birthday and we're hoping to get in a day or two of trout flyfishing. Can anyone help me by:

1. Recommending any good small to medium size streams.

2. Types and sizes of flys to use at this time of year.

3. Recommend any guides and how to contact them.

4. Recommend any flyshops.

I've just completed my first season in this pasttime (nice way of saying "still lots to learn") and am open to any suggestions that you may have to maximize this opportunity. My daughter has less experience than I do. I'd like to make it a fun and memorable experience for both of us.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Kaufmann's Stramborne in Seattle and Bellevue, The Morning Hatch in Tacoma, and Swede's Fly Shop in Woodinville (or is it Bothell). These are just the one's I have dealt with and have been very happy with the service.
That time of year you'd be better served going for steelhead in the region. Western Wa., with a few exceptions is not noted for rainbow river fishing. Unless, pop over the Cascade Mts (about an hour and a half drive) and hit the Yakima. Worly Bugger Fly shop in Ellensburg, or the Evening Hatch guide service would be good bets.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
;)

You are going to be in Seattle in Febuary and you want to trout fish?!??!

You will be entering prime time for wild steelies and they can fished from many local rivers including the Green, Snoqualmie, Skykomish, NF Stilliguamish, Skagit and Sauk.

If you do want to fish for steelhead, your basic marabou and GP patterns should cover 'ya along with a couple sink-tips.

If you will have a couple days, I would highly suggest a trip over to the Forks area where you see less people, more fish and the most beautiful rivers that exist.

You can contact Bob Ball of Piscatorial Pursuits (Piscatorial Pursuits) if you would like to fish with a guide as he is one of the best in Forks and if he is full he can point in the direction of some other great flyfishing guides in Forks.

Local shops that I would recomemend would be the Avid Angler out of Lake Forest Park and Salmon Bay Tackle in Ballard and if you get a chance stop by Teds Sport Center in Lynnwood and I'll be more then happy to draw a couple maps to some productive spots on some local rivers.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Ah-Ha! Now I know where to find Sparky on my next trip to see the parents in Oak Harbor. I've never been to Ted's....Lynwood HWY 99?
Another consideration for Rainbows would be some lake fishing within an hour to an hour and a half drive of the Seattle Metro Area.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:39 AM
Mod

Please dont come try to beat me up like whats her butt did!!!! :hehe:
Old 01-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Not to worry Ryan. I'm a fisher not a fighter!!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:30 PM

Gad Ryan, that woman really got under your skin.

Life is far too short; consider the source and move on. Another good thought is 95% of the folks who may have read the ramblings will also do the same .... and not come back to her "written well" again.

Not even for comic relief.

fe
Old 01-09-2002, 08:36 PM

My experience in Washington says the stream fishing for trout is pretty slim due to the competition from ocean going species. I can, however recomend two streams if you are willing to drive. The first has already been mentioned - the Yakima - a beautiful river with large and smart fish and most, if not all, of it is no kill barbless. The second recomendation involves quite a drive but doable if you are ambitious. The Rocky Ford creek has HUGE fish and they are very very wily. If I remember correctly the drive for Rocky Ford from Seattle would be 2 to 2 1/2 hours while the drive for the Yakima would be 45 min to 1 hour. Chucknduck says an hour and a half for the Yakima and he may know better but I used to do it in an hour and 15 from Olympia.

Gregg
Old 01-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

I drive like a senior citizen... At least my wife says so. You'd have to take in consideration the pass conditions before dropping a time frame for driving to either the Yak or Rocky Ford. Normally though, I-90 is not too bad. Rocky Ford shouldn't have that much pressure this time of year. However, its about the only thing going in the central part of the state...but can be well worth it if the big boys are hungry. The Yak is definately a good time. Perfect time of year for midges and the sporadic baetis hatches as well as good streamer and nymph fishing. Both shops and outfitters I mentioned in the earlier thread have websites if you need more local info. The Yak is touted as Wahington's "premier blue ribbon trout stream". While the fish are plentifull, and the scenery beautifull the fish usually aren't huge.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:15 AM
FFF CCI

With only one season (9 or 10 days on the water) of trout flyfishing under my belt and only a 5 wgt rod, am I really ready for saltwater and steelhead?

Would it be substantially more challenging to where my daughter, who only has one day experience, may not enjoy it?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Mod

You may have no problem trout fishing but many people make too large of a fuss about the 'skill' required to catch a steelhead on a fly.

Steelhead lay close to shore and 90' casts are not required to catch a steelie on the fly. As long as you have a guide give you some basic casting tips and improvements and he is telling you where to cast and when to mend, you can catch fish.

Dont get me wrong though, 90' casts and lots of experience do help...
Old 01-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Will fish for beer

Thumbs up

Head down to Olympia (~1 hour) and fish the golf course. No kidding. The Deschutes flows right through there and I've pulled some nice fat sea-run cutts out of that little creek. Golfers might give you a weird look, but the fishing is awesome.

Go to Streamside Anglers (about 2 blocks from the golf course) and look for a fly they tie that has a tungsten bead. I have found that fly to be murderous on the trout.

Fish along the banks, under the tall grass and you'll be pleasantly suprised. BTW, catch and release only.

Brian
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --by Jack Handy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.