Just A thought on Catch & Release - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2002, 11:32 AM
BB5 Survivor

100% barbless.....the tunoids I've lost have not been lost b/c of a lack of a barb....

jared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2002, 11:40 AM

I apologize for digressing from the original question, "Should the fly archive be barbless flies?"

Yes, I think so.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:23 PM

Then wouldn't it follow that all fly archives would have to be barbless? It's problematic because that sets quite a tone for the board that might alienate more than educate. Won't bother me because I'm already here. But to the newcomer, who knows?
It could be left to the individual to decide too.

LEfty
Old 01-10-2002, 02:10 PM

"To barb, or not to barb, that is the question." Sorry Mr Shkspr

Steelhead wise, I use 90+% barbed hooks for my ties, but a pair of needlenosed plyers takes care of that situation. Actually, have a good chunk of the year here on sections of the Rogue that barbless hooks are required. For some types of gear even a minimum hook size is required (fly's are exempted under this Regulation). Personal observation suggests that barbless will give you more hookups due to the smaller amount of penitration necessary. It's the big needle vs. a small needle idea.

The to barb or not to barb is kind of academic if you're intent is to release the fish anyway. Release at "long range" or short .... so what I guess in my .2 cents worth.
fe
Old 01-10-2002, 07:41 PM

Use barbless all the time for steelhead and trout. Agree with Fred they seem to penetrate to better and when I lose a steelhead it is due to the log jams or that the fish just was to hot and mean. When you having them jumping through trees and going under log jams on there way back to Lake Michigan there is no hook or line that is going to survive. Great fun though and memories.

Use the needlenose pliers to just put those barbs down.

Old 01-10-2002, 08:54 PM

The Thorny Subject

Hi Lefty Your comment of " set Quite a Tone For the Board" Has that tone not allready been established starting with the description of the community and running through many many of the posts iregardless of saltwater or fresh?

My only reason for starting this thread was that we are being viewed from many parts of the world and possibly we should go this extra bit to show that we do practice what we preach.

All the responces have had merrit and in the final analysis it all comes down to a personal choice.

My Best to All saltRon
Old 01-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Flats Rat

saltRon, you managed to put into succinct words my very thoughts on personal choice. This has also been an extraordinary thread which speaks volumes to the quality of the people who participate here.

That said, I see nothing wrong in encouraging the use of barbless hooks for newcomers. Encouragement is the operative word. I wouldn't dream of alienating people by trying to force an opinion on them. At the same time, I think most of us on this forum advocate catch and release - some exclusively, and others who may take an occasional fish for the pot but practice C&R most of the time. If I were ever to go cod fishing I would probably bring one home!

Without exception, everyone who participates in this forum cares with a passion about the wellbeing of our resource. We would certainly want to encourage those same sentiments in newcomers to the sport.

I was serious about the idea of fly shops offering to crush down barbs on store sold flies "free of charge". If they break then the store could replace them at no cost
Old 01-11-2002, 05:51 AM

Maybe someone of these fishing equipment manufacturers could add a groove to a pair of pliers on one jaw, this would support the hook in the area where the barb is, then one could bend down the barb without breaking it off. Think maybe I can figure something out, glad you started the thread SaltRon. Most of my flies either have no barb, or a crushed barb. I have had several deep hooked fish using flies with a crushed barb, and with a pair of forceps been able to back the hook out.I have observed some of the fish for a few minutes they appeared to be OK. I can't say that when using a hook with a barb. Just my observation.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Fluff

and then again, one can file the barb off. No percentage exists in arguing about personal preference.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:28 PM

I personally have a problem trying to file the barbs off. I can't find a file that is hard enough to do that to the stainless steel hooks I use. I did today fool around with an old pair of small needle nose pliers. I ground a groove in one of the jaws, I just have to hold the bend of the hook, put the hook in the groove, squeeze lightly, and rotate the pliers around the hook, or fly. It bent the barb down very nicely. I tried sizes from 1 to 8/0 on about 25 hooks, didnt break a single barb off. I tried it on Mustad, Eagle Claw, and Trey Combs hooks.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:31 PM

De-Barbing

Hi artb Should do something original to that groove and get a Patent. Did you groove across the face or legnthwise. Better still produce a few and sell them at the show with our webb address on them. this might produce some working Capital for the Board.

-----saltRon
Old 01-13-2002, 05:24 AM

saltRon, I grooved the pliers across the jaws. I hold the hook between my thumb, and forefinger, the hook bottom side in the groove in the jaw, just put gentle pressure on the barb, while turning the pliers back, and forth, while adding more pressure. I think it works pretty good, like I said earlier I didn't have any barbs break off, even did it on some flies that I have had kicking around for years.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:07 PM

I agree barbless is the way to go. I like to crush the barbs before tying, it's just easier. I wonder about the bonito though, might a barb help land one of those suckers? I confess to leaving the barb on a couple of #2 bonito bunnies. I will most likely just take a bite out of the 1st bonito I land. Oh yeah, if your at the boneclave and see a little tuna with a bite out of it that was the work of a bluefish, not me )
Seriously though Saltron you make a very good point, I'll be sure to only post pics that display crushed barbs.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:03 PM
President of CAC

test...test... just testing..having trouble posting...
Old 01-15-2002, 07:10 PM
President of CAC

Well.. I feel a little bad about my previous post... to an extent... even though I will go barbless all the time this summer... I think all the discussion here has been sort of "philosophical".. I think this is a good thread .. but it is not complete... If a beginner asks about the reasons.. there are really none here... no facts... My point is that when I did go with barbs I did not see any damage to the lips of a big striper or blues. Lips hardened by mother nature...If you remove the hook correctly there is no Large hole... I again believe that it is the gut hook situatiuon we must be careful of.. I gut hooked one striper last year ,in the spring, and I was barbless at the time.. and was able to finger the hook out by backing it out... something I would not have been able to do with the barb. So..what are the factual pros and cons.. and what about lip hooking danmage... I just think we need a more complete discussion instead of the higher order philosophy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.