Hardy reels for spey rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 06:38 PM

Question Hardy reels for spey rods

I have found several good buys on some discontinued models of Hardy reels.I am interested in the Hardy Sovereign in particular.It is a 11/12 wt and I was wondering if it would make a good spey reel?Does anyone have any info on this reel?Line capacity,drag,durability,reel weight?My rod is a 14ft 9/10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2002, 08:24 PM

Tony, the Hardys are an excellent reel and I would highly recomend them. They have the sound that is lacking in the Redington of which I have decided to keep. You could check with spey-bubba about the Hardys as he has had one for quite awhile.
Airflo Pro Staff
Cloudveil Pro Staff
Old 01-08-2002, 08:40 PM

"Bullit Proof?"

Have an 'old' Salmon 2 that I use on my bigger spey rods. There is no sound in the world like a Hardy unwinding against a running fish. Every thing stops, everyone looks ... Nate has it now to 'test drive' on his newest addition "The Beast" a 16' rod.

If for no other reason than 'nostalga' (sp?) do the reel.

Forgot to add: The 'cost' to rebuild the 'guts' of the reel cost about 10 bucks. Not much in them to go wrong. Possibly, rumor has it anyway, why Phlg. used their basic design for their Supreme reels. These have been around for 50 years and I've only had one 'go wrong' on me in 30 years.
fe

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-08-2002 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:16 PM

The Sovereign is a nice reel athough it is more complex than the other hardy's . What are you calling a good deal? I don't think they are worth close to their original cost. I fish a lot of old Perfects and Marquis. If you are getting a great deal and like the reel (gold finish?) get it what do you have to loose?

andre
Old 01-09-2002, 04:21 PM

I can get the reel for under $200.It's brand new and in the box with all papers.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:15 PM

Salmon - Spey reel

I use the "Ultradisc-Salmon" 11/12 and it works great.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:28 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I can't give alot of info on Hardy's

But I do have an old SA 130 made by hardy on my old 7wt Fenwick glass rod and LOVE it!!! Nothing like the scream of one of those reels and never had a problem with it at all.

Now if Ii only had the money to afford a Hardy big enough for my spey rod. Being a single Dad and getting zilch from my ex for child support, makes money tight at times. I only wish I heard about finding them under $200 for a spey sized reel. I just purchased a Lamson spey reel with lines with my OT money from Xmas (bought it used for $150). Wil put oon my 9w and move my SA 1011 onto the 13' 7wt I plan to buy with my tax return. UNLESS....any of you kind people would care to donate, permantly loan, or cheaply sell me a Hardy reel cheap. LOL, I know I'm dreaming, but I had to try. I mmay be selling off a couuple baitcasters I don't use anymore, may take proceeds from thta to buy one. Oh well, I can at least dream.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I picked up a Hardy Viscount click for dirt cheap as Hardy of USA (Cortland) was dropping them from distribution in the States so Cortland had clearence pricing on them.

They are a beatiful and simple real plus they are a true large arbor. They are no longer avaliable in the states but you can pick them up for a great price off Micheal & Young's website.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:14 PM

The Soverign is a high quality reel with a very smooth drag and an unusually quite clicker for a Hardy. I have a 9/10 that is of the first several hundred made which means really nothing other than I have had it long enough to have a valid opinion regarding the particular reel in question. I like others perfer the older Hardys as they are more traditional and have in some cases much more soothing tones from the clicker (as in deafening). One thing you might desire from a reel that you are intending to use for large fish is rim control, or palm control in the case of the larger diameter Perfects. Then there are the Hardy Uniquas which are fairly common in 4" but have no rim or palm contol option but they really chatter under a heavy load. The price you are quoting Is cheap for a good quality reel (my advice) buy it if you don't like it you can sell it for that much or probably more.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:55 PM

The internet is a small world!!!

Only on the internet. I was looking for replacement options for this reel (Hardy Soverign 9/10) which was stolen from my travel trailer one evening while camped out at By Mac Park on the Morrice River in Northern British Coloumbia. I was curious as to if there were any available as I would really like to replace it no special reason just to feel a little less violated. And on a google search I come across this thread from our BB.
But then when I did an Obituary about a friend I ran into quite a bit on him on this BB too.
I have a prime suspect in the reel theft and one of these days I will run into him, it should prove to ba an interesting campfire.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 PM

I have a couple Sovergein 2000's, a 5/6 and a 9/10/11 and think they are really quite nice. Smooth, great lines, I have both the cage and open design, one of the most powerful drags of its time.

I've use the bigger one for LO pacific salmon and salt and the smaller one for well for everything. I also have a JLH salar that for steelhead and atlanitics.

Another great reel that I've used for LO fish was the STH grand slam III, wow what a wild drag and fun to plat with the lever.

I hate to hear of theft tales of lust. Good Luck!!!

S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.