Steelhead & Snoopy Rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Steelhead & Snoopy Rods

Check it out...
The Snoopy Rod Classic

Pics courtsey of
Piscatorial Pursuits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2002, 07:09 PM

Hard to believe this is possible, what we will do all of our high priced graphite rods ? Don't want my wife to see this for sure, or I will be in really big trouble for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Hey, I've got one of those in the rafters in the garage! Very low mileage, owned by a little boy who only used it in fresh water. Very little wear on the drivetrain and gearbox. Sell to highest bidder!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:43 PM

Amazing to see something bigger than a sunfish caught with a snoopy rod & reel. My last experience with them had the reel falling apart, the handle disolving from bug repellent, and a very disapointed nephew.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Junkyard Spey

I Think They're Pretty Tuff

John You must have the economy model. I have one of these rods that goes back to about 1978. It just seems to keep on truckin. All I ever do to it is dump out the sand, add some new line, and put the next kids name on the rod shaft which they think is cool.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: I Think They're Pretty Tuff

Quote:
Originally posted by MJC
John You must have the economy model. I have one of these rods that goes back to about 1978. It just seems to keep on truckin. All I ever do to it is dump out the sand, add some new line, and put the next kids name on the rod shaft which they think is cool.
I agree with you about the old zebco 202 based ones. The one my nephew had, a 2001 model bought by his dad, had the reel molded into the handle and the works of the reel kept popping out, with the line tangling. For fishing with kids I use a trigger spin reel on an ultralite ugly stick. Simple and nearly unbreakable.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Junkyard Spey

John, I think you're right

Now that you mention the old Zebco model I think that is what we have. You are also right on with the "Ugly Stick" and trigger spin reel, another tuff kid friendly combo.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:56 AM

Whole lotta Yee-Hawin' and chest-thumpin' going on that day, I bet

Personally, I wouldn't use a joke technique to catch a magnificent fish like a steelhead, but to each his own.

It may be more appropriate to be concerned about the level of stress that the wild fish experienced due to the short pole and the crappy reel, compared to a normal C&R "experience".
Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Eugene,

I couldn't agree with you more.

KLS
Old 01-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

Ours was limited to use in age 14 and under stocked trout ponds.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs up

The fish was brought to the boat very quickly, snapped a pic and released without harm. The fish doesn't know what kind of rod you have in your hand when he/she takes the offereing, really, it's true. Ask one.
Loosen up fellas and have fun once in awhile. This was a great event, all the rods went to local kids.

Kev
Old 01-09-2002, 04:39 PM

Glad to hear it Kev, and congratulations on your charity work. When I read that whoever caught that fish had found out how slow the retrieve rate on the snoopy reel was, I had assumed that they meant that it took a longer time than normal to crank the fish in. My mistake.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Recent Member

It's amazing how fast you can bring a fish to hand, when you have a great oarsman running the fish down. Again, a great day on the water and she swam away strong.

Kev
Old 01-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Cool to each his own

Eugene & Kerry - my first thought was the same. I thought it was a drunken stunt by a bunch of ya-hoos. But I know Bob Ball and there's nobody more concerned for the health of wild steelhead than Bob. If he was part of this outing and Kev and the others are his friends, then the scene isn't as the pictures may have made it appear. nuff said

Ryan - we gotta be careful taking things outta context from one board to the next . Another mutual acquaintance of ours took some posts I and others made here jokingly about the animals we'd unintentionally hooked (snagging beaver and the like). Out of context, it sounded like we (flyfishermen) were a bunch of really cruel sadistic jerks. Some are :hehe: - but you get my drift.

Peace!

Brian
Old 01-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Just to reiterate what Kev and Brian said, Bob as much about wild steelhead as anyone does and he has been threatened and had tires slashed and his rig crowbarred because of his strong support of wild steelhead release.

The Bogey was chosen as the river of choice during the first week of January due to the lack of wild fish returning to the Bogey during that that time period. The river is full of hatchery brats and no one wanted to intentionally catch a wild steelheard during the 'derby' and the fact that Kev caught one was a total fluke.

BTW-
Brian, those misunderstanding are going to happen when it can be very easy to take a certain incident or comment out of context when one can is not speaking face to face. Trust me, I have learned my lesson many many times when it comes to comments made (by myself) and how they are precieved (by others). I keep a shoehorn close by as I am always shoving my foot in my mouth when it comes not only to comments I have made on the Web but also in person.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.