Line Advice on a new model 7136-4 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Chief of E.P.

Line Advice on a new model 7136-4

I will check in over at Dana's site as well but wondered if anybody (Skookum, JJ or ???) had advice on a line for the newer Sage model 7136.

This is for a friend whose wife gave him the rod for Christmas. The same wife that gave him a 9150-4 for his birthday. Forgive me if I sound a little envious but well, I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2002, 03:34 PM

Two Spey Rods! This guy better not screw up his marrage!

I've got both the "old" and "new" versions of this rod. The older rod works well with the 6-7-8 Windcutter but all the stripping is a pain in the butt. The new blank (green vs. brown) is noticably stiffer and this line is a little light for it.

The 'old' blank was a true 7wt rod, the new version is more suggestive of a light 8wt. Suggest a longer head such as the RIO accrtor, than the WC for better casting, less stripping, etc.

Rod is a dream to use for long periods and will handle very large fish. Biggest this fall was about a 25'ish # king; rod 'flat to the water' half the time, but still handled the fish.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Chief of E.P.

Fred,

I'm a big fan of the Accelerator but in checking Simon's Rio line chart for this rod he doesn't list the Accelerator at all. I don't want to set my buddy up with the WC though so I am thinking of suggesting the 7/8 midspey but was waiting to see what some of the input was from non-Rio users.

Duggan
Old 01-04-2002, 04:54 PM

Think th mid-spey could be a good match.

The 6-7-8 WC does a good job with this rod, but with the 'short' head you're required to strip-shoot line on casts much over 30 foot. Another line that actually does a good job out to the 50-60 foot range (plus leader) is an 8wt DT. Cheaper than dirt, and if max casts arn't an issue just a standard (no-spey length) DT will work fine. The extra wt also helps turn over some pretty mossy sized flys.
fe
Old 01-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Having played with this rod a bit, I'm guessing the Wulff TT Spey in 8/9 would probably fit the bill + a bit longer belly than the Rio WC (about 75' if I remember correctly).
Old 01-04-2002, 06:52 PM

The Mastery spey 8/9 balances well with this rod and if the belly is to short for you as is then add a t/t tip probably 30-35 ft. You can lift the whole belly-line and cast with the new 7136.
Airflo Pro Staff
Cloudveil Pro Staff
Old 01-04-2002, 08:56 PM

I fished the old brown rod for almost 5 years before retiring it in favor of the 6126. After casting the new green 7136, I will have one in a few months. I was that impressed in how sage corrected the deficiencies over the old model.

I spent a few hours throwing the rod and changing lines every 15 to 30 minutes. I threw a WC 6/7/8 and 7/8/9, midspey 6/7 and 7/8, cortland DT spey 8/9, accelerator 7/8, and TT 7/8.

I am not a major proponent of overlining rods, in fact I believe that overlining just creates bad habits while making the rod more difficult to handle. I would take Simon's advice on his list of the "More advanced caster" rating, I believe it is list A, and use the midspey 6/7. The rod really ate that line up.

William
Old 01-04-2002, 11:24 PM
any fish, any time

I fish the new Sage 7136-4 and like doublespey have settled on a TT spey 8/9 (now called TT8) as my hands down favorite. The entire line is easily picked up and spey cast. To add distance capability I snipped mine at the rear taper and backed it with a cheap WF10F - adds another easy 15' of carry line. Finally, for tips, I cut the line ca. 18-20' from the tip (thickness of an 8 weight floater) and looped it. It casts 8 wt tips in type 3 and type 6 with aplomb. highly recommended.

Other lines that I have tried, and which work OK but less well for me, are Windcutter 7/8/9 and DT9 (DT8 is OK too, but a bit light for me). The Windcutter is, well, a Windcutter. It has a very narrow window towards the rear where the rod feels suddenly very loaded, and if timing is too sudden with the full line out, then the rod feels downright bogged down. This is perhaps why FE likes the WC 6/7/8. My WC 7/8/9 also works OK with a 10-15' longer mid section that Rio made for me a few years ago, as this spreads out some of the mass and loads the rod more easily to 50', but it gets hard to work that extra 15' out without it feeling funky (not JB funky, but moldy cheese funky :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: ) .. the DT9 is just fine - really quite nice as a dry line to 60', but doesn't have as near smooth turnover as the TT8. Both are serviceable, however, if your/his tastes run there.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:42 PM

Well, I was driving around thinking about this question in the new Ferrari I got for Christmas...Jeez, nice gifts, lucky guy. And they say we're in a slow economy! In all seriousness, I love the new 7136-4, and have been fishing it with an 8/9 Mastry Spey from SA. With 77 feet of "fat stuff," I don't have to strip much, and it also shoots line quite well. At first, this line might seem a bit heavy for the rod, but it really pushes a heavy tip and big flies well. So well that this is now the rod I use most frequently. It's really a treat to fish all day, and makes the big sticks feel kind of cumbersome. Love it. Good luck.

Skookum
Old 01-07-2002, 04:16 PM

Bit of correction on thoughts of line choices for this rod

The WC 6-7-8 works just fine on the 'old' 7136-4 but a wimp line on the 'new' green model. Doesn't load the rod that well at all; a DT 8 does a better job (9 may also be 'ok' but don't have one of those to test.

Like the idea of the TT8 for this rod as two of the better spey casters are touting this match up. But suspect both have large blocks of stock in the company.:hehe:

Off to call Mark to see if he has 'my new toy.'
fe
Old 01-07-2002, 04:47 PM

Fred
How big is this new toy. 18ft ?

Malcolm:hehe:

www.speygillie.co.uk

Last edited by Willie Gunn; 01-07-2002 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:37 PM

Not yet ..... but my "private parts" are getting ... none of your business...

Need to get the 'spec' for the 18 footer. Saw your e mail but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Have half doz. "body bags" tied up for you this evening so will post off tomorrow. Given size of the WG's sent, I've tied them big and BIGGER for your and Melly's waters.
fe

The 'new toy' is the TT8 line for the 'green' 7136-4 spey rod; still lusting for the "big rod" noted above.

Last edited by fredaevans; 01-07-2002 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:33 PM
any fish, any time

Fred,

You've been so enamored with that massive 18 footer.,.. have you tried the TT8 on the new 7136 yet? ~Steve
Old 01-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great reading and advice! Thanks all. I think the new 7136 is going to be my next Spey rod.

Juro
Old 01-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Chief of E.P.

Exclamation

HELP

My buddy follwed the advice of the board and went with the 8/9 Mastery Spey. We are floating tomorrow and he wants to try out his new toy. So here I am with the reel, line and a couple of Rio 15' tips. My only problem is I'm not sure where to cut the Mastery Spey. It has a 20' front taper but I doubt I would need to cut it back that far. To save me from the going the micrometer route, anyone have a tried and true cut-point for this line?

Thanks,
st

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.