twisted chenille worm - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2002, 11:24 AM

twisted chenille worm

Yesterday at the Marlboro show Jeff Roop and I were talking about the meister fly I had sent in for the warmwater fly swap when someone (Hawkeye?) asked what it looked like. I don't have time to post the recipe now but here a picture of a twisted chenille worm.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2002, 12:40 PM

The recipe for the twisted chenille worm isn't long but some of the required tools aren't normally used for fly tying.

Hook: for this one I used a TMC 800 size 1
Thread: white 3/0
weight: 12 turns 0.035" lead
weedguard: twin loops of 20# maxima
tail & body: made up of oo olive chenille, twisted with 3 strands of gunmetal and bronze DMC metallic floss, from a craft store, tipped with chartruese maribou.
Tools required: a drill and a cup hook

Tying instructions:

1. The tail and body is made first. Cut a 28" piece of the chenille, and the flosses. Separate 3 of the floss strands from each piece of floss. Make a bundle with the piece of chenille, and the 6 strands of floss. Tie an overhand knot at one end of the bundle of strands; tie the other end to the upright on your vise.
2. Put the cup hook into your drill, and then thread the cup hook between the bundled strands at the end with the overhand knot. Pull the bundle taut and then turn on the drill to twist the bundle. With my cordless drill, I count to thirty, or ~ 150 turns, and then shut off the drill keeping tension on the bundle.
3. Place a finger on the middle of the bundle and bring the drill next to the vise upright. Pull your finger out of the bundle and let it twist into a tangled mess.
4. Hold the bundle next to the vise and stroke out the tangles, cut the bundle off of the vise and the cup hook. Tie an overhand knot in the end that you just cut off. The twisted bundle will stay twisted, indefinitely after the knot is tied.

Though they sound complicated the previous steps only take 2-3 minutes to complete.

5. Using a needle for support tie a tuft of maribou onto the end of the twisted bundle and set it aside. To me this is the hardest step.
6. Put the hook into the vise and lay down a base of thread. Wrap the lead weight around the hook, and cover with thread.
7. Tie in the weed guard at the bend of the hook.
8. Tie in the bundle with 4-5" hanging off the rear of the hook. Wrap the bundle forward to form the body.
9. Bend over the weed guard, bind it down and whip finish the head.

I normally fish this pattern in the weeds on days like I would fish a rubber worm. Different materials can make some very striking color combinations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.