What are you going to check out at the Marlborough Show? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 04:52 AM

What are you going to check out at the Marlborough Show?

I am going to check out the Ross Big Canyon Reel , Sage Rods and Thomas & Thomas Rods.
I also want to hear Alan Caolo talk on Sight Fishing for Bass. Can't wait for the show.
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2002, 05:51 AM

I hope to get up to the show, don't know yet. I do know that Alan Caolo's presentation on Sight Fishing for Stripers will be good, especially if you fish the flats in the salt ponds, bays, like Napatree inside Little Narragansett Bay, or Monomy. I was fishing Weekapaug Breachway, when I asked a friend about Alan, asa I had never run into him, when he said why don't you ask him. I got introduced to him right then. Had a nice chat. I even gave him Flyfishingforums website address, also bought his book. Believe me it is very interesting has some good color plates of flies, and bait. He also has a book on baitfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2002, 12:54 PM

I'll be there on Saturday looking for the gadget table and whatever tying supplies jump out at me.
Art, I got Alan Caolo's book for Christmas, it's excellent, I'm looking forward to the presentation.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:24 PM

Smile

I'm hoping to make it this year myself- I'll be checking out the new 10.5' St. Croix 9wt for starters. Sounds like a good rod for the surf.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:01 PM

Rel1,

That Rod got a very good write-up in "Fly Fishing America" Magazine's "2002 Gear Review" As you say, it should be helpful in the surf, but seems (to me)like going half-of-the-way to a two-hander. I think that this 10'6" is really going to catch on, but I think that the big market may be the YAK Crew who are looking to "Buy-Back" some of the height lost from sitting low in the water? What do you YAKers think about a foot-and-a-half more long-wand? Or would this big boy be too akward in a Yak?

As far as the show goes, I'd be most interested in the Seminars, maybe a class, & all of the tying do-dads. I don't need any big things, so I may not even go. The Wilmington show is only 5 miles from my house & Malboro is almost an hour. Question is, can I holdout til March? Also, looks like the board is going to be pretty active in Marlboro, but I've been so busy (check my post count) that I could not even volinteer to get involved. I'll bet Juro et al will do something in Wilmington in March when we're all "Chomping at the bit"
Old 01-04-2002, 04:31 PM

Greggo, A longer rod would be great for casting in the yak but it could present a problem when landing the fish. Remember that in the yak you can get pretty close to fish without spooking them so distance becomes less of an isssue.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

My brother Mike and I had the opportunity to attend Alan Caolo's seminar at last years show. We both agreed that it was the most informative, best organized and communicated presentation that we sat in on.

He was very apologetic initially because it was his very first time presenting the information in front of a crowd. He was a natural, and seemed to be an exceptionally nice guy. After the show we had a chance to speak with him and he invited us to come down and fish RI with him.

Don't miss it at the show. A great deal of it was new information to me at the time. I'd be interested in what the more experienced people on this board think of it.

By the way, I also got his book for Christmas, but, I think my father has obsconded with it. Maybe I'll print a picture of the book and place it on the back of a milk carton in my dad's refrigerator with a "LOST" sign on it.......
Old 01-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Here fishy fishy

Looking forward to Marlboro. No way I can wait till March in Wilmington. Definitely want to catch Alan Caolo's presentation, as well as the others on stripers and on fishing in Maine. Most likely will part with a few dollars for tying stuff, maybe a new reel for the new rod... decisions, decisions...

Liked the show last year. Really enjoyed watching Popovics and Puglisi (sp?) tie flies in the fly tyers row. Very informative and they were both terrific. Showed things step by step, esp. Popovics who caused me to buy his book immediately afterwards.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Middle Aged Member

Mark, where has good old dad been hiding?

I plan on taking in a few seminars, with Caolo's being a priority. Also want to hang around the fff booth, maybe run for coffee's or something, and pick up some tying tips. Right now I have no imminent purchases in mind but I'm sure I'll pick up a few ideas.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:21 PM
President of CAC

I will be looking for Fly tying material... facial cream... you know ... the usual.:hehe:
Old 01-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Cool

Don't forget OUR booth!

Roop will be posting the schedule for who will be tying what on which days shortly, we've just about heard back from everyone now.

There will sessions each of the three days, approximately every other hour (an hour class, an hour break, etc).

You will be able to sign up on a first come first served basis to sit down at the tying stations and follow step by step through a favorite pattern with the likes of Todd Murphy, Gil Berke, Harry Koons, Ray Stacheleck, Arthur Sawayer, Stan Mackerwicz, Rich Soriano, Jared Tausig, Bob Pink Jr, Striblue the tying inferno, and myself. All materials will be provided, just sit down and enjoy the experience of learning from the instructors in our booth.

On a side note we need one or two volunteers each day to man the booth, promote the forum, etc. If you can spend every other hour at the booth any of the three days please contact me offline and we'll arrange for your free admission to the show as working staff members.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:44 AM
Flyfishing on the brain..

O' Father, Where Art Thou?

Dad has been busy with the holidays and family matters. I assure you that all is well and he is as energetic as ever. He and I will be attending the show together on Saturday, most likely.

As for his lack of presence on the board.....to this point he has taken the path of least resistance. I went by the house to do the registering process but something came up and we got distracted while checking out the posts. Therefore, his computer had my registration information stored on it and he went about perusing the Forum as me, but without me knowing it. I will try and resurrect his internet persona this weekend if possible. I'll tell him you were asking for him.

~Mark
Old 01-05-2002, 08:22 AM

Juro Roop,

I'll be at the show Sat. Consider me a floater who can jump in if needed in the booth.

I'll be checking out every 4 pc. 7 wt. in the joint and an extra spool for the Tioga 6. Oh ya, if the Fish Ireland boys are in, I'll be there too.

Lefty
Old 01-05-2002, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I'll be shopping for a blank and hardware for a 7', 3/4wt brook trout rod project. Maybe a reel too. we'll see. Look forward to seeing everyone again.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Terry I'll contact you offline.

I'll be looking for a 10wt 4-pc or 2pc to wrap up in the "Rod Rack" project after the show.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.