speycasting on the pond - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Recent Member

speycasting on the pond

There seems to be quite a few speycasters in this group so here is a question for you all, how many of you practice your specasting on still water? I have been doing this for years and have made a lot of improvements on my casts, I have found that if one can cast well on still water then he or she will be able to cast anywhere. Exeptions are testing lines, in that you don't get the load on the rod that you do in moving water so a line that seems to load well on the pond may very well over load the rod on the river, this I have found is usually the case. Many say you can not speycast on a pond but how many times do we end up fishing in water that is barely moving such as the inside corner of a pool. I would like to get some thoughts from the members of this board on this topic.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Flats Rat

Brian

I remember watching Arthur Oglesby spey casting at a couple of game fairs back in the UK on still water. It seems like a good idea for practice if its the only alternative available. For an absolute beginner it might be a bit frustrating but your point is well made - if you can do it on still water then you can do it anywhere.

I read somewhere about specialy designed leaders and "Grass Flies" for practice in the backyard.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:38 PM
the speypages guy

I sometimes practice in a tidal section of the Fraser River here in BC and often have to deal with slack water. I also practice on grass using a standard line set up with one of Al Buhr's grass leaders. WHile certainly moving water is the very best venue for casting practice, sometimes it simply isn't an option; still water is 2nd best, grass 3rd.
FFF certified casting instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.