Flyfishing loses one of its greats - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Fly chucker

Unhappy Flyfishing loses one of its greats

I just heard the sad news that Gary LaFontaine passed away today after a three year battle with Lou Gherig's Disease (aka ALS). He is survived by his daughter and son-in-law.

Gary was an innovative tier, fisher, and author who helped to unlock some of the mysteries of flyfishing, particularly entomology. Up to the point of his passing, he was working on a book about blue winged olives. Prior to that, he had over 100 articles printed in several magazines, and 5 published books. He will be missed by flyfishers, and by people in general who love the outdoors. He'll also be remembered for how bravely he fought his illness right up to the end.

I hope that he rests in peace, and that his family finds peace knowing that he is no longer suffering.
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2002, 12:07 PM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
Unhappy Sad Tidings for a great man!

Sorry to hear the bad news. I have watch Gary tye and had the privledge of using a lot of his methods. I have been to many of TU meetings that a good friend of his tied the flys for Gary because of his disease. I know the world of FF is going to morn his loss and his knowledge. He will be missed.....
Utah Chapter 681
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.