Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pick a river for someone new!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  steeliesonafly 
#1 ·
I have just started steelhead fishing. I have been fly fishing for about 40 years but never got a chance to go for the Steelies, Until last year. Fished for 5 days with no hook ups. Didn't feel to bad, because the pros I went with, didn't get hook up either! I used to be stationed with the Coast Guard in the Sound area of Washington and fished for some of the Salmon in the area with some guide friends of mine. But this was not on a fly!
What area or river in Oregon or Washington would be a good bet to start up on and for a week fishing trip!

#3 · (Edited)
Time of year?

No, the time of year doesn't make to much difference to me, just a chance to get few steelheads on line, and go home with some memories! State doesn't matter to me either. I love both of the Pacific northwest states and have relatives in both.... Once a person gets the fever to go for these fish on a fly and lands one on his own tied flys. Well I sure everyone has been there! Getting to the age where I can travel a little and want to get the most out of life! Fall fishing would be my preferred time though!

#4 ·
Well, As Fred said this is a good question. I'd be willing to bet that you'll get lots of feedback.

This is my recomendation book a 1 day guided trip with John Hazel on the Deschutes river in Early to Mid October, then spend the rest of the week fishing the Deschutes on your own.

This is assuming you are at least moderatly healthy and the thought of wading in some reletively powerful currects is ok. (not suggesting anything unsafe is necessary, just that it's a big river and some slots have some current. The Deschutes in October is about as about as close as you can get to a sure thing. If you spent a week there i'd guess that hooking 10 Steelhead is VERY likely and the potential for hooking substantially more than that exsists.

Also you should know that October is a time of plenty in the Northwest. Every river that has summer steelhead will be in it's prime time. So you could spend a few days on the Deschutes then go exploring.
Feel free to ask more questions!! thats why we all come here to share information and learn

#5 ·
Appreciation for comments

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on coming on up this fall, and doing just what you have said. I will probably try the many rivers that I can. I plan on at least a week or more..... Can you go wrong on any of the bigger rivers?:confused: One other question is ( how much is private? )

#6 ·
The Deschutes In the areas where it is accessible there is virtually no private property. If you were to base your week out of the town of maupin you'd have 30 miles downstream to fish via gravel/paved access road (good tires an absolute must!!!!!!!!!!) and about 8 miles upstream. There is a nice little flyshop that has everything you need in town.

Within a 2 hour drive there are two other excellent steelhead rivers.
1. The John Day river which I know nothing about except that it has a remarkable run of all wild summer steelhead. A friend of mone was up there in November somewhere and had a 40fish day on a floating like and skaters.
2. the Klickitat (in Washington) Which although is very mysterious and does not giv up it's fish easily is an absolutely wonderful river with lots of easy public access. it is in a breathtaking canyon and it's steelhead are amazingly strong and often big by summer run standards.

#7 ·
Rob obviously knows hish Deschutes.

My time on the Descht's is quite limited, but many of the International Spey Board folks work this river like it was Nirvana. With the comment about 'good tires' Rob told me that he'd been there and done that. The access road he's talking about is something else! Pick-up guys put on 12-15 ply tires; tells you something.:D

Another river for volume of fish (not the size of the Descht's - and the Klikitat was, and remains, one of my best all time "secret rivers.") is the Rogue. Aug-Sept fish the Agness area; fish out the gazonga. October-November we're awash in fish above Medford.
fe

Want to tangle with Mr. Salmon .... ? March-May we have a spring run of salmon that (by actual count) exceeded 30,000 each of the past two years. Where are all these fish you ask? How about as close as 15 minutes north of downtown Medford. Many a morning I've hit the river at day break, fish til about 8am, at my office by 830-quarter to 9. Even done a couple of 'long lunchs.' Bank folk think it's a 'kick' as the winner of pick a number between, gets dinner, or two or three.

Second Salmon run in our area is Sept-November with the fall Chnks and then the Coho's over lapping the summer run steelhead. Never use less than 10# Ultra main line for 'tippet' material; God only knows what you'll hook.

:devil: :devil:

#8 ·
Times and Places

Thanks to all of you. I don't think I can hit all the secret places but is sure is great to get all these replies. I intend to make it up that way and I have read about many of these places. I have developed a couple of flies that some friends of mine have been using up on the Frasier River and they keep me busy tying them. I hope to try them up on the Rogue or Deschutes in the next season. Steelies are what I am after, but the Salmon would surely be a great thing too. Any time for both where you can get good action?:whoa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.