Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Line Winders

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RayStachelek 
#1 ·
Was thinking that a nice hardwood fly line winder might make a good basement project this winter. Anybody have a design they like and would be willing to share?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bob..great project... Take a look at the Orvis wooden one.. seems easy to copy. I am not sure they make it anymore but it allowed you to attach your reel to one end and wind with the other which has a wooden spool. It can be used on a table or on your lap. Just a thought.

#3 ·
Bob, I don't know how you store your fly lines now,but I relly like the Stuble line winder. It folds and is very portable.
The diameter is 6" and if you build your winder to that spec., when you get the Struble, you will be consistant.

#4 · (Edited)
:hehe:

Reginald - I've edited and added this message to keep the picture in perspective with the information. Hope you see the new message.

Distance from cover to cover (outside dim.) 8 1/2 inches
Diameter of cover 6 3/4 inches
Dowel circle diameter 5 1/2 inches
Dowel holes 8 equally spaced 1/4 diameter.

Two rotations of the spool equal 1 yard.

This model can be built in almost any basement workshop. I have drawn Cad blueprints of each part. Some are full size like the hole spacing on the end caps you use as a template.

The advantage of this model include -

Single layer of fly line and backing. Lines dry more efficiently with air flow through the cage.

The cage ass'y removes from the base to use a kitchen sprayer, cold water cycle in a dishwasher, or bathroom shower.

Will store many fly lines for cleaning and storing over the winter months. Larger coils prevent some line memory.

Attachments

#6 ·
Reg,
FWIW I think Ray's design has about a 6"diam spool and we could estimate that the spool length would be about 8 - 9"

This type would be great if you wanted to store your lines on the winder. Now, how can we adapt the design so that you can slip the flyline off the spool for storage?

#7 ·
This lacks the asthetics of Ray's design, but a couple of years ago on the west coast at a fishing show I saw a exhibitor selling what I can best describe as 2 plastic salad bowls bolted together at their base by a buffing wheel arbor. The idea was to remove the line using this spool in a cordless drill and then take the spool apart. I've never found the right bowl to do this though. I can say that a spool from a Stren reel fill pack fits nicely on a 1/2 " buffer arbor and can strip a reel quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.